iPhone Sales Up, But Market Share Down: Report

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,560
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:50 AM
Apple is very proud of its achievements, and in Q4 of 2009, the iPhone achieved something it hadn't done since Q4 of 2008. The device lost market share.

The iPhone's share of the worldwide app phone (nee smartphone) sales market slipped to 16.6 percent, down from 18.1 percent in Q3 of 2009. It's not that the device wasn't selling a lot; according to the Wall Street Journal, its 8.7 million in sales was 18 percent higher than Q3.

However, overall the app phone market grew 26 percent in the same quarter, as multiple Android devices were introduced and Nokia, seeing a strong comeback, boosted its sales by 4.6 million alone.

Still the rise in iPhone sales can't be ignored, and as another iPhone refresh nears (mid-year, most likely), you can expect the excitement among iPhone fans to reach a fever pitch.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,797
Points 45,505
rapid1 replied on Wed, Feb 3 2010 12:35 PM

I think that the general market is seeing the weakness off the network myself. Although this number seems to be a blip a 1.5 percentage drop in sales on any other device would be more noticeable. At 6% of the market it is still a pretty large market presence for a singular device, I think there awesome contained nowhere else image as well as the app stores image is dropping from cool to normal in the public's eye. When the mystique drops often everyone realizes this is a device which in main functions (at least the ones used to a large percentage), are the same, and in some cases lacking. The app store also seems cool to me personally, but the negative to me is this do I want to have to wade through that many apps. Well 25-50,000 apps maybe but 1.5 (or whatever they have now) different apps I don't know. Although I am sure there are sites concentrated on the most useful ones which would help in this search. I personally just don't see the carrier's network as a good one compared. Is that not the main concern for a mobile communications device?

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

8.7 million in sales in Q4? That's amazing considering the glut of smart phones that have entered the market. Most remarkable is that fact that Apple has managed to do so well in an economic downturn, like Ford. Comparatively the Nexus One sold a mere 20,000 in its first week, it was outsold three times by the myTouch 3G, 12 times by the Droid, and 80 times by the iPhone 3GS (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/15/google_nexus_one_first_week_sales_estimated_at_disappointing_20k.html).

Even when limited to the AT&T's 80 million subscriber base, the iPhone continues to gain access to worldwide market. Vodafone UK just launched the iPhone a couple of weeks ago. The iPhone GS debuted in 8 countries, the fourth generation, equipped with the new Apple processor, will most likely have a greater impact in worldwide and domestic markets.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS