What is Intel64 Technology?

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625
TheChief Posted: Mon, Feb 1 2010 10:34 PM

Hello, I know that this question sounds kind of ignorant at first but with the age of my CPU I didnt belive it could support 64-bit. I have a Intel P4 650 3.4ghz processor (I know its quite old but spare me all that nonsence) and I recently noticed on Intel's website that it has a feature called Intel® 64(link below with all the deatails).

CPU Info page : http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27482

Lately I have been looking at Windows 7 and I was wondering if this means that this chip would support a 64-bit OS. Since I am new to 64-bit technology I do not have much knowledge but from my basic understanding it is possible to use a 64-bit OS. Any clarification would be appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Mon, Feb 1 2010 11:33 PM

According to the intel site, yes that chip does support x64 processing (and therefore a 64 bit OS).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Yep, as Soupstyle stated, you're good to go! All Intel's P4 6xx series support 64-bit.

Here's a link to an article on the Intel 64 (also known as EM64T): http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/262

Since you'll be installing Windows 7 on this, check the rest of the 64-bit requirements:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

• 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

• 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

• DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Here's a tool you can use to check to see if your system is Vista ready: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

It'll tell you which components have drivers that Windows 7 supports.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

Thanks soupstyle and gibbersome( also congrats gibb on winning that sweet PC, I bet you dont get much sleep till that beast arrives on your doorsteps :- )

As for the upgrade advisor I ran that this morning before I did an install of Win7 32-bit and I got an error that it failed to complete a system check, and I was not able to find information on the error or how to solve it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Thanks TheChief! Haha, I'm not getting much sleep tonight, that's for sure!

Hmmm, I checked and there was nothing about troubleshooting the Windows Advisor...why am I not surprised.

How did the Win 7 installation go? Any problems with drivers?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

So far so good on the install, but I have only an hour or two of messing around with Win7. I have not noticed anything yet that would seem to cause an issue and I hope to get a game or two installed and see how that goes sometime very soon.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

Ok, I have been playing around with this for a little while now and I cant get over the fact that CPU-Z and Intel Processor Identification utility both show that I have a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4ghz which does not suport EMT64, when all these years I have belived it was and had a reciept for a P4 650 3.4ghz chip.

Is there any other way that I can figure out what chip I have for sure without taking off my CPU heatsink because I dont think I have any more thermal paste laying around. Thanks for your help.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Hmmm...that's really weird, lemme see if I can find something else.

Have you checked under your control panel?

1. Left-click on Menu "Start", left-click on "Control Panel" ... Opening the Control Panel.

2. You'll see a list of icons displayed, and one of these icons, you will find an icon called "System" in which you double-click it.

3. The properties are displayed Systems and the first tab is called "General".

You should see all the info there.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

Well there is nothing under the General Tab about my processor but in the Device Manager it does say Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4GHz.(that is in WinXP)

In Win7 under System it says same as XP - Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4GHz.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

TheChief:

Well there is nothing under the General Tab about my processor but in the Device Manager it does say Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4GHz.(that is in WinXP)

In Win7 under System it says same as XP - Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4GHz.

Here's an alternative to CPU-Z:

http://blackbox.hardwaremania.com/en/download

Was this a DIY system or something purchased from a retailer?

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625
TheChief replied on Thu, Feb 4 2010 10:27 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try. DIY - I built it in Dec. 05'

OK, I gave it a try with same result as the rest, thinks I have an P4 Extreme but is another nice tool to have. Well since I know I didnt fork over the extra cash to get an Extreme chip and I have a reciept for an Intel P4 650. So im just going to forget about it and hopefully I can still try out Win7 64-Bit because it seems this is just a software issue, and I hope not cause a problem with Win7 64-Bit installing.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

TheChief:

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try. DIY - I built it in Dec. 05'

OK, I gave it a try with same result as the rest, thinks I have an P4 Extreme but is another nice tool to have. Well since I know I didnt fork over the extra cash to get an Extreme chip and I have a reciept for an Intel P4 650. So im just going to forget about it and hopefully I can still try out Win7 64-Bit because it seems this is just a software issue, and I hope not cause a problem with Win7 64-Bit installing.

Yeah, sorry. I couldn't think of anything else. So if I'm understand this correctly, it's not allowing you to install Windows 7 64-bit, is that right?

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

No, it was just a concern for when I do try to install Win7 64-Bit. Because I was seeing a Extreme chip in all my software which does not support 64-bit I was currious if it would affect the install. I will try it out sometime soon and see what happens.

After all this I am going to format to clean up all the old stuff on my drive and start fresh so I'll see what happens then aswell.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS