I want to OC my P4 3.4ghz , need input.

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625
TheChief Posted: Sun, Jan 31 2010 2:29 PM

Hello, I have a P4 3.4ghz and I am insterested in doing some OC'ing just to get my feet wet so to speek. Ok so I know that this P4 is getting old but I would like to see if I can make so performance improvement though I have some concerns. To start off in Speedfan my idel temps are around 39 degrees C and high load at 52 C. I have had trouble determining if this is a good temp range for this processor as many people speak of thier different experiences with these chips. I have also heard that may P4 were designed with little head-room in temprature and voltage areas that it may be wise to leave well enough alone, is this true? If anyone can provide me with some good information on the subject it would be highly appreciated. Thanks

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 3,310
caos420 replied on Mon, Feb 1 2010 10:08 AM

Your temps seem to be normal although if you oc it you wont see much improvement but you could probably hit 3.6ghz if your mobo allows.give it a shot you'll probably have to bump up the fsb to achieve any sort of overclock couse i'm sure the multiplyer is locked.Good luck.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

if its a Prescott core then it can do 80c, but you will need to check your NB temps as well.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

With dated systems, come dated guides! Give this a read.  http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/13250/119505.aspx#119505

Like Der points out, it would be good to know which p4 you have.

[edit] Also! Welcome to the Forums!

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

Thanks for the information everyone and the welcome, as well for the link I appreciate it. Since CPU-id says I have a extreme edition for some reason I'll have to do some research from when I built this PC. I am most positive it is a  P4 650 3.4ghz:

Here is a link to intels site and below some details: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27482 
Essentials
Status Launched
Processor Number 650
# of Cores 1
# of Threads 2
Processor Base Frequency 3.4 GHz
L2 Cache 2 MB
Bus/Core Ratio 17
FSB Speed 800 MHz
FSB Parity No
Instruction Set 64-bit
Embedded No
Supplemental SKU No
Processing Die Lithography 90 nm
Max TDP 84 W
VID Voltage Range 1.2V-1.4V
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625
TheChief replied on Mon, Feb 1 2010 11:00 PM

What is the best way to monitor the NorthBridge temprature? Would this be one of the temps shown in Speedfan?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Mon, Feb 1 2010 11:19 PM

What motherboard do you have, I'm not sure about speedfan's page, it is sort of a jumbled mess. If your motherboard (and therefore NB chipset) is listed then I/we can find out if it is supported. Though there aren't usually fans dedicated to the NB or SB chips, just temperature monitors.

They state:

SpeedFan can handle:

• almost any number of South Bridges
  • almost any number of hardware monitor chips
  • almost any number of hard disks
  • almost any number of temperature readings
  • almost any number of voltage readings
  • almost any number of fan speed readings
  • almost any number of PWMs
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Mon, Feb 1 2010 11:20 PM

as in mentaldisorders reply, from the old P4 OCing thread:

"note when OCing is that the multiplier is completely locked for P4s. So with any P4 CPU you can only increase its speed by raising the FSB. ...

Your memory can only go so fast. After a certain FSB speed it will crap out, especially when running in sync which is 1:1 in BIOS. If you have a lower multiplier CPU i.e. 2.6 or 2.8 the solution for highest CPU clocks is to use DDR that can run at very high speeds run the memory slower then the FSB. This is done with a memory ratio (also known as divider). The most common is 5/6 i.e. 166. "

So it would be helpful to know the motherboard to know the FSB speed and also what memory you are using (but you can OC memory too if needed).

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

Wow, i am starting to think this is going to be a big learning curve for me. My motherboard is a ASUS P5LD2-VM, 800mhz FSB(supports 1066/800/533 MHz FSB), with DDR2 667 memory. My motherboard came with some OC software called ASUS AI Overclocking would this be my best bet in trying to OC safely. Here is a link to my Motherboard information:

Motherboard:  http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=orjq7G3HX3F0tRrN

Also I have two types of ram unfortunately one brand from when I built the PC and was unavialible last year when I went from 2gb to 4gb. Could this be a problem? Far as I know the specifications are exactally the same.

Thank You all for the information and help I have learned so much in the few days of being a part of this forum.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

"My motherboard came with some OC software called ASUS AI Overclocking would this be my best bet in trying to OC safely. "

NO! Use only the bios.  In most cases a really unstable overclock won't boot into windows, if you're already in windows, you won't see this and may thing an overclock is better than it truly is.

"Also I have two types of ram unfortunately one brand from when I built the PC and was unavialible last year when I went from 2gb to 4gb. Could this be a problem? Far as I know the specifications are exactally the same."

If the specs are identical you should be ok, however it's usually best to not mix brands.

The best way to learn to overclock is to do it and stick to a guide.  I pointed you to one guide, however I'm sure there are some more heavily detailed guides out there,  I originally learned overclocking from the guides that Boa made while he was around here.

I can look around longer for a better guide, heres a thread on the topic http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=60806

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I can make a quick and simple guide...

OC'ing takes time, baby steps if you will...lol

start by unlocking your RAM:FSB. the you can set the ram later but for now we will stick with the cpu. some people will tell you to bump the voltage on the cpu and NM to give your self some head room. if you have good cooling on your broad you can do that if you dont, then dont mess with the voltage for now.

we will start by adjusting the fsb in 10mhz increases (CPU frequency = ((fsb/4) x cpu multiplier) your multiplier is 17. so we will set the fsb to 810 so that we get a 3.445ghz cpu. then once set save and exit the bios and boot to windows. if it boots then repeat above...

eventually you will hit a point when you cant boot into windows any more drop the fsb by 30mhz and then load into windows and open up your cpu and NB temp monitoring software check and make sure each temps look good....

now you want to run some stress programs (i use OCCT) it will push the cpu to its limit and will monitor the temps as well. run it for a 1hr test. if the test fails then go back to the bios and reduce the fbs by 10mhz and do it all over again....

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

Thank You mentaldisorder, you seem to have an unlimited supply of good links and information to provide. I belive that you have pointed me in a good direction and I should be able to research the topic with some more confidence on my own, so theres no need for you to scour the depths of the internet for me. But I do thank you.

As for the RAM, it was a cost saving measure. I know its not best to mix them but its was either mix or buy full new 4gb.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

Thanks alot Der Meister, that sounds like a very simple and solid plan to begin with that I can understand.  The OCCT program seems to be a very useful tool thanks for the reference.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Another stressing program is Prime95.  I want to say that Everest also has a built in test, but I don't remember exactly.  I also like to run CPU burn-in while I run prime95 to get my max temps.  And yet another stress testing program is Orthos, which is my number one stress tester (currently.)

Also, the brief guide that Der made for you holds knowledge that can be applied in other overclocks, for newer systems and AMD based ones.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

Thanks for all the software recommendations mentaldisorder! Now I have alot of tuning and testing ahead to be done.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

Ok I have been tweeking a little and running some tests at stock speed with OCCT and Orthos, and I am concerned on how my current setup can handel the heat.

Fistly the P4 650, I have read that a safe temprature to opperate this CPU is anywhere from 65C to 80C and a few say higher yet! I was wondering what will be safe and reliable in the long-run use(I dont want to kill my aging CPU) and not cause my CPU to down-clock itself.

And second what type of settings should I be using in OCCT and Orthos to test an OC setting?

Third I did a OCCT test for 25min, large data set, high priority at stock CPU speeds and it averaged 68C. These temps are far higher than I have ever got with my system with the highest load I can put on it myself. Should I be concerned if the test far exceeds temps that I preffer to be running at since it is a tourture test so to speek?

This is my fan setup:

CPU - http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?Idx=156

Intake - 120mm back, 80mm side.

Exhaust - 80mm PSU, 80mm Top.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

68 isnt bad I wouldn't take it much above that... you gotta remember when you OC in the winter its not going to be as cool in your house during the summer so there is probably going to be a temp difference ~10F (~3c)

As for the OCCT setting I run it CPU heavy, I hardly run the ram test on it.

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 625

The problem is that I reached 68C when doing a base test with the stock processor speed 3.4ghz, so it seems that my current PC setup will not handel an OC very well. I think it would probably be wise to leave well enough alone unless you have other options I could try. Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

ah, yea i wouldn't oc it then

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 740

lol.... on a side note..... you could fry an egg!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS