Intel Science Competition Winners Invited to State of the Union Address

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,860
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jan 27 2010 3:14 PM

Intel Bringing Chips To Super Bowl PartiesIntel Science Competition Winners Invited to State of the Union Address

Bright Young Scientists to Sit with First Lady

• At tonight’s State of the Union address, President and Mrs. Obama will host two of the nation's brightest young scientific minds – one a winner of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair 2009 and the other a top finalist in the Intel Science Talent Search 2009; both competitions are programs of Society for Science & the Public.

• These young scientists are being singled out for their early achievements and their place among the nation's next generation of leaders who will solve the problems of tomorrow.

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Jan. 27, 2010 – Two young scientists – one a winner of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair 2009 and the other a top finalist in the Intel Science Talent Search 2009, both programs of Society for Science & the Public – are being recognized by the White House for their scientific achievements and will sit with Michelle Obama at tonight's State of the Union address.

Li Boynton, a high school senior from Houston, was one of the top three winners in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair 2009 and is a semifinalist in the Intel Science Talent Search 2010. Gabriela Farfan of Madison, Wis., currently a freshman at Stanford University, earned 10th place at the Intel Science Talent Search 2009. Prior to attending the State of the Union address, Li and Gabriela will meet with Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education, and John Holdren, Science and Technology advisor to the president.

Intel Corporation shares President Obama's belief that scientists should be regarded as role models, just as athletes and entertainers are, and that innovation and education are key to a successful future.

At 4 p.m. EST today, Intel – a partner in President Obama's "Educate to Innovate" campaign – and Society for Science & the Public will name 40 high school seniors as finalists in the Intel Science Talent Search 2010, America's oldest and most prestigious pre-college science competition. The finalists will gather in Washington, D.C. from March 11-16 to compete for $630,000 in awards. The top winner will receive $100,000 from the Intel Foundation.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 3:21 PM

forget prom, dude you are going to the state of the union HMDFK. that is a great achievement right there :) thumps up for you !

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 3:42 PM

Yes; I like the statement that Scientists are as important as sports stars/entertainers etc.. Although I would think in all reality they are ten times more so. A linebacker, quarterback, forward, pitcher or goalie or singer/actor etc will never affect my life personally.

Whereas everything around me including the water I drink and air in my household is controlled by a device a scientist of one type or another created. It also stands to point out that this forum I am typing a reply in as well as my professional career the car I drive and everything else besides my body by itself is influenced by or created by a scientist of some form.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:21 PM

Props to Intel and President Obama for acknowledging and recognizing some exceptional young student minds!

PS - what does HMDFK stand for?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700
gibbersome replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 11:03 PM

"Intel Co. shares President Obama's belief that scientists should be regarded as role models, just as athletes and entertainers are, and that innovation and education are key to a successful future."

About time scientists, engineers, doctors got their respect. Scientists have a greater impact on our lives than Paris Hilton-type celebs, as rapid1 states, but they also play a much more important role in our society. They have a direct positive contribution to humanity, regardless of the nation, region they belong to.

That's why I find college sports so troubling and the scholarships that can be offered to the next Norman Burlaug, are being offered to the next NFL football star. With sports, Colleges become more like businesses (ticket sales, merchandising, etc), rather than educational institutions. And there's the life style of the super rich athletes. It's no wonder kids want to be the next Michael Jordan or A-rod.

Turning scientists into role models will hopefully reverse that trend. This nation needs real heroes, not the ones you can buy for a buck.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 3:03 AM

Well the values of our society are screwed up anyway today so I guess it's to be expected to some degree. None of it makes any sense to me. I mean Kim Kardashian is nice to look at, but what else can she do except run her mouth, nothing. I still don't get the deal with teachers that makes no sense. They teach our countries children! I mean doctors are generally respected and paid. But the individual who is going to teach my kid's is a second rate job pay wise compared. What do we have guaranteed for the future except the children, Nothing? When we are all in a retirement home at 75 they will be running the world. Then a scientist who may get paid but they get no recognition (and not that pay rate is a guarantee either although better than teachers), they make and influence through Ideas almost everything that ezists in our worl apart from nature, and they can influence even that. Ok I am rambling now!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 12:04 PM

I had no idea who to look for when during the SOTU address. There were a lot of people on the top row, no idea which was which except of course for Michelle Obama. Anyway it was a good idea, I think they should have at least introduced them or even just had there names and who they were in the hotbox on the TV once or twice.

Anyway; as far as it goes what do you guy's think about where our the US is and where it seems to be headed? I think some of his idea's were good, but I think more radical ideas need to implemented. The first I would say would be flat tax and or some version of it would make more sense. I also think that in a couple of years it would bring the country to a much better place financially, because anyone in the country would be taxed as soon as they bought something.

I also think the legalization crap on MJ stuff is stupid,if alcohol is legal. I may have a beer or drink now and again, but it's not my thing really either way. However; as has been shown in California, there is a substantial added income to be had from it's taxation. Plus it would also take the ground floor out of a lot of criminal enterprises (IE: gangs, drug dealing in general etc. etc.). I just don't get it if alcohol is legal and the inebriation level is very similar whats the difference! I personally am a light drinker, and a non-smoker at least for that substance (Tobacco is a diff story, and I need to quit that to).

Either way Tobacco and Alcohol medically from what I've heard, and especially together on a regular basis do way more damage. I hate to say it, but an internet tax model needs to be introduced as well. However; if it was part of a flat tax derivative, the difference price wise, and income affect would be low. The benefits for our country would be extensive though I think.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS