Razer Announces Dual-Sided Mousepad: Vespula

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,357
Points 1,191,620
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jan 27 2010 12:08 PM
For the longest time, gamers have been asked to buy a second mouse pad for use when hanging out at LAN parties. Typically, you'd have one "doesn't matter" mouse pad for use at home, then a more expensive mouse for gaming that reacts more accurately to subtle movements.

Razer, who has been known to create gaming-centric pads in the past, has just revealed its solution to the two pad problem. The Vespula is the company's first true two-sided mouse pad, with one providing a "speed" surface and one a "control" surface. This is actually designed to be used by gamers who dabble in varying genres; one side for first-person shooters, one side of MMOs, for example.

It's constructed with a matte, non-slip hard coating, and it is available now worldwide for $34.99.

RAZER VESPULA™ GIVES GAMERS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDSWITH AN ADVANCED DUAL-SIDED SURFACE

Carlsbad, Calif.Jan. 27, 2010 - Razer™, the world’s leadingmanufacturer of high-end precision gaming and lifestyle peripherals, todayannounced the Razer Vespula, a lightweight, gaming grade mouse mat. Thedual-sided design of the Razer Vespula provides gamers with the choice of a SpeedSurface for faster mouse movements or a Control Surface that picks up even themost precise of mouse movements.

“The Razer Vespula wasdesigned with gamers in mind that need a single solution for every game theyplay. Different genres call for different gameplays. The advanced technology inthe improved dual-sided mouse mat gives gamers the choice of a smooth SpeedSurface or a textured Control Surface, which delivers just that flexibility,”said Robert “Razerguy” Krakoff, president, Razer USA. “The Control Surface isgreat for gamers that use small, precise movements, while the Speed Surface isan ideal match for gamers that prefer large, sweeping motions.”

The Razer Vespula enablesextended gaming sessions with a gel-filled memory conformance wrist rest fortop performance without fatigue or potential strain and comes with the provensturdiness and extra durability of its prequel the Razer eXact Mat.

About The Razer Vespula

The Razer Vespula GamingMouse Mat is designed to give gamers comfort, choice and performance in eventhe most demanding of gaming conditions. Constructed with a matte, non-sliphard coat and an enhanced dual-sided design, the Razer Vespula provides gamerswith the choice of a Speed Surface or a Control Surface. The Speed Surface isdesigned for smoother, fast-paced action that maximizes freedom of movementwith a slick finish, while the Control Surface provides tactile feedback with acoarsely textured surface that is best for ultra-precise movements. The RazerVespula also comes with a memory conformance wrist rest for long-lastingcomfort, even during extended gameplay.

Razer Vespula

COST: US $34.99; EU €34.99

AVAILABILITY: Worldwide

Product Features:

• Matte, Non-slip Hard Coat
  • Advanced Dual-sided with a Speed Surface for faster mouse movements and a Control Surface for precise mouse movements
  • Memory Conformance Gel Wrist Rest
  • Abrasion Resistant

• | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 12:41 PM

WOW...and I don't mean World of Warcraft. Thinking about gamers who like both RPGs and First Person Shooters, this actually isn't a bad idea. The cost is a little much though.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 1,695
Bighorse replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 12:50 PM

I love Razer's products! This mouse pad will offer a cutting edge to all worlds of gaming and I can imagine pro gamers be excited about this. The price isn't too bad if the quality is consistent with Razer's previous products.

On a side note, I can't wait to get my hands on the Razer Onza for my Xbox 360. Adjustable tension on the analog sticks, two programmable buttons, and awesome design. OH so drool worthy. That will take my Call of Duty: MW2 gameplay from super sucking to just sucking.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 12:55 PM

Yeah the cost thing I totally agree with you on gibbersome. However; I use specifically Logitech MX518 mice for all my computer use. This mouse is supposed to be a gaming mouse. However; it has multiple settings as well as refresh rate, and back and forward webpage usability on the mouse as well as a scroll etc.. As for a mouse pad this would be good I could use a new one as well. So I may consider this at least although for the laptop I use the extended leather chair arm generally. It works fine with the laser tracking on this mouse. This would however grant extended and finer response!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 3,310
caos420 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:03 PM

omg!That is so cool i just found my next mouse pad.is it to late to throw it in with the origin giveaway?lol:)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:10 PM

$35 isn't too much more (maybe $10) than most decent mouse pads and you are getting 2 for 1. A good idea from razer.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 11:09 PM

It's the same in dollars as in Euro so for Europeans the price is closer to $50. But since this is aimed at the extreme gamer market, maybe you're right.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 2:51 AM

Yeah I might get one of these it looks pretty cool and a better mouse pad is always welcome. The flippable feature is cool I would probably leave it on high response though.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:50 AM

I have to say that I'm underwhelmed by all the "premium game mousing surfaces" or what-have-you. I can't see a whole lot of difference between a $35 slab of neoprene and a 99¢ slab of neoprene.

On the other hand, I can see a lot of difference between a $20 mouse and a $55 mouse. My advice to people who might be looking at this is to spend that money on a better mouse. Even then there are limits-- but a good Logitech mouse will get you far.

And if you're one of those people who wants both a high-end mouse and an expensive surface to run it on, I'm sure you have a lot more disposable income than I, and I merely wish I could find a way to help you dispose of it.

(By the way... "pro gamers?" What, will we be seeing Team Fortress as an event in the 2010 Winter Olympics?!? That should really put those snooty biathlon people in their place.)

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
derrick_ replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 11:28 AM

"The Vespula is the company's first true two-sided mouse pad, with one providing a "speed" surface and one a "control" surface. "

uh, guys, it says very plainly in the press release that its their second two-sided mat.

i've had the previous, the eXact Mat for several years now, not to mention several other companies have duplicated it (rocketfish for example).

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
cdnmute replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 4:23 PM

"I have to say that I'm underwhelmed by all the "premium game mousing surfaces" or what-have-you. I can't see a whole lot of difference between a $35 slab of neoprene and a 99¢ slab of neoprene."

Firstly, I have the eXact Mat and it is aluminum. I paid about $50 CAD for it and that was about 2 years ago. it has been a great mousepad except for the little rubber corners that tend to get unglued. Essentially the wrist rest is attached to a rubberized mat that goes under the aluminum pad for grip and stability. And then you just flip the metal part depending on what you want, speed or control.

But as the commenter below me said, This is not the first 2 sided mousepad, not even the first one from Razer

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS