Samsung P2350 23" LCD Monitor Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,923
Points 1,118,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 26 2010 11:44 AM

'SamsungSamsung is the largest and one of the more popular consumer electronics companies in the world. Besides its hugely successful HDTV lineup, the company also makes some equally exciting LCD monitors. Samsung's offering of flat panel displays have proven to be stylish, dependable, and competitively priced. Generally, we've come to find that Samsung PC monitors deliver a healthy balance of performance and affordability though not on the bleeding-edge of technology but more targeted to the mainstream. In addition to its own line of monitors, Samsung even manufactures a multitude of the actual LCD panels found inside the the products of its competitors.

Today we're taking a look at one of Samsung's most affordable displays. Just don't assume its nominal cost equates to inferior quality right from the start. The SyncMaster P2350 is a widescreen LCD monitor that features Samsung's Touch of Color (ToC) design, a piano black cabinet, a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio, 2 ms response time, and 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. This value oriented 23" monitor does not offer speakers or a ton of connectivity options, but its performance and low price tag promise to make it an enticing option for those who want the most bang for their buck. Keep reading as HotHardware takes a look at the P2350 to see if this screen has what it takes to be on your short list...

Samsung P2350 23" LCD Monitor Review

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
jazluvr replied on Tue, Jan 26 2010 12:48 PM

I went through 3 samsung 22" toc monitors, (they lost on in shipping...lol.) before i finally found the problem. Iafter talking to 3 samsung tekies on the phone, they all said NOT to install the magic color or magic bright software, cuz it srews up the display. The 4th and final one i bought at best buy, the t240, and i never installed any software for it, or even a driver. Monitors don't need drivers as they are plug and play. And i found the controls on the side to be sufficient in calibrating the screen. You can aslo visit websites that have patterns for calibration purposes...just make sure you don't go to a malware page.

But i stuck with Samsung because of their reputation, support and my tv is great. I haven't had one problem with the monitor since i bought it. Back then i paid $400 fir it at best buy, on sale $50 off. Now i see this...lol.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Tue, Jan 26 2010 1:16 PM

As an owner of Samsung P2370HD, I have to say that this review is accurate in terms of viewing angles and the possible backlight bleeding. I have yet to notice any bleeding on my monitor. I've been using the P2370HD for about 3 months now and it is a very exceptional monitor. I do agree that the menu options in the monitor can be cumbersome which is why I am glad I have a remote with my monitor to configure the options easier. Although the response time in my monitor is only 5ms, it does have RGB, AV, and HDMI ports in the back to make up for its shortcomings. I recommend spending an extra 100 on getting a P2370HD than a P2350.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:52 PM

I use an ASUS 23" 2 ms refresh flat monitor and have not had any issues at all. However; my last monitor was a Samsung as was the one before that. There equipment is generally very good. Of course I paid nowhere near even half of $400 for it. I grabbed 2 of them on an EGG special. I don't think there normal USA models because when I went for drivers the model did not exist. I searched through the site and found them in a different countries menu. They are the correct drivers, so I assume they (the monitors themselves) were meant for another country. Either way there great, but I would not mind a bigger Samsung, there blacks are generally better and whites to on many models. This Black/White qualities are what makes a monitor to me especially with sharpness and quality in that regard.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 9:14 AM

I've had my eye on a pair of these for a while. Samsung usually means it's gonna be a quality screen.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

"Unfortunately, we noticed a fair amount of backlight bleed during the black solid fill screen. The bleed was apparent along the bottom edge of the display and extended the entire length of the screen."

Thanks for the review Matt, really enjoyed reading it.

@Kyouya I went up looked up other reviews of the P2350 and the backlight bleeding issue has been brought up only a couple times. So I'm guessing this was a bad unit? I can see this being a big especially if you're watching movies with letterboxing like the review mentions.The 2ms response time is very impressive for this price range, but other reviewers also noted that the monitor feels a little cheap, especially the stand don't seem well made and it's not easy to take off. The touch sensitive buttons are also annoying to many people.

Another thing I don't understand is why a 1080p resolution like this wouldn't have an HDMI connector.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 285
rjr222 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 3:11 PM

The decrease in monitor price recently is rather crazy. Has manufacturing costs gone down?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

rjr222:

The decrease in monitor price recently is rather crazy. Has manufacturing costs gone down?

Yes, it has.  They use cheaper quality panels now, which is why they are so cheap.  You can tell the most noticeable difference in the weight of the monitor.  For instance my 3 year old 19" LG monitor is much heavier than my brand new 23" LG monitor.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Mathew, I enjoyed reading your review of this monitor. I've been using the P2350 for about a month now and overall it is a fine monitor for $200. I noticed that you mentioned the screen is tilted forward due to the stand. I hate to ask the obvious, but did you try tilting it backwards? The Samsung P2350 product page mentions that the stand tilts, and fwiw mine is able to tilt backwards with minimal resistance.

I also wanted to point out that if you lower the brightness from 100% (using Magictune or the OSD) the backlight may buzz. The tone of the buzz appears to change depending on the %. A quick search confirms the issue also affects some Samsung TV's as well. I tested a second P2350 and it also buzzed which was a huge disappointment. Since I have a quiet pc I have learned to deal with the overly bright screen which has taken several weeks to get used to. Fortunately the overall image quality is still crisp without being washed out.

It's also worth mention that the backlight bleed is also an issue on my panel.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS