Antec P182 CPU cooler clearance

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
mwmdotnet Posted: Mon, Jan 25 2010 9:12 PM

Hello, I would like to replace my stock Intel Core 2 E8400 cooler and I am wondering if anyone knows whether a Zalman CNPS 9900 will fit properly, or whether you have used or recommend an alternative. Thanks!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

What motherboard do you have?  Also, are you planning on overclocking, or are you keeping the system stock and just want it to run cooler?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

yea it will fit in a P182

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
mwmdotnet replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:48 PM

I apologize, I meant a P183 and yes I plan on overclocking when I feel comfortable doing so. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and I actually  got a deal on the Zalman cooler, so I ordered it and it arrived last night and I installed it without any difficulties; I am happy to say that it fits perfectly, although the CPU (Intel Core 2 E8400) core temps register at max: 53C min: 38C according to RealTemps, which I realize is not completely accurate but still a bit disconcerting, since I thought those would be lower if I upgraded. Any thoughts?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 3,310
caos420 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:29 PM

like you said not fully acurate try checking the bios for you temps but overall those are still cool temps for the chip you got.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I would give Everest a try, some people find it to be most accurate, which was not the case for me, but hey every motherboard is different.  Like Caos mentioned, the bios is generally the most accurate, however remember that you can only view the idle temp, additionally, when I enter my bios, my fans kick up to full speed, so again you're not even receiving true idle.

Also, be sure to have the latest bios.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

mwmdotnet:

I apologize, I meant a P183 and yes I plan on overclocking when I feel comfortable doing so. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and I actually  got a deal on the Zalman cooler, so I ordered it and it arrived last night and I installed it without any difficulties; I am happy to say that it fits perfectly, although the CPU (Intel Core 2 E8400) core temps register at max: 53C min: 38C according to RealTemps, which I realize is not completely accurate but still a bit disconcerting, since I thought those would be lower if I upgraded. Any thoughts?

I would have suggested the Freezer Pro 7 as that has worked really well for one of my friends. But your temperatures are actually okay for the chip as caos indicated. What were the readings that you were getting with the stock cooler?

Also try Core Temp and see what readings you get.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 2:19 AM

I was asking something earlier about this to the point of normal and safe long term temperatures. I hear people talking about OC'ing the I7's and Phenom BE and wonder what temps they run at normally and what there thresholds are.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

gibbersome:

mwmdotnet:

I would have suggested the Freezer Pro 7 as that has worked really well for one of my friends. But your temperatures are actually okay for the chip as caos indicated. What were the readings that you were getting with the stock cooler?

Also try Core Temp and see what readings you get.

The Freezer pro is just a suped up stock cooler.  You get some better performance out of it, but the zalman would beat it any day.

rapid1:

I was asking something earlier about this to the point of normal and safe long term temperatures. I hear people talking about OC'ing the I7's and Phenom BE and wonder what temps they run at normally and what there thresholds are.

The answer seems to be that the max is 100C.  I would personally say that 60C is where you stop, but I'm sure you can sit at 70C and still be fine.  You can give this a read as well...

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 11:02 AM

mwm-- I don't have any personal knowledge of the HSF you mentioned, but I do have experience with another large cooler-- the Prolimatech Megahalems. These were so highly rated that I decided to go with them, despite their price and the fact that I would not be overclocking much if at all; still, more radiator space means lower airflow for the same CPU temperature means lower noise!

Unfortunately, I ran into a clearnace problem with my Patriot Viper series memory, which have a tall heatsink on the DIMMs themselves. These would not fit in the space provided underneath the combination heatsink and fan for the CPU. After trying several suggestions from Forum members here, I decided to mount the HSF in its traditional orientation (which places the fan over the RAM slots) and bend the fins back on the closest memory stick.

So if you are using anything except low-profile memory (like the OCZ Gold or Platinum series), watch out. Sorry I can't give specifics, but at least I can tell you what might be a problem.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Hey Clem, he already has it installed...I was going to mention the same to him about ram clearance when I asked about his motherboard, however when I found out what motherboard he had, he mentioned that he installed it and it fits perfectly.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
mwmdotnet replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 2:47 PM

On that note, the support base for the fan did butt right up against the Intel P45 block (bright blue with GIGABYTE stamped on it) but did not actually place a sideload on it, which i determined to be a non-issue at the time.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
mwmdotnet replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 2:52 PM

the BIOS actually consistently reports an idle temp of around 28C, whereas CoreTemp and RealTemp consistently report 43C and 38C for cores 0 and 1, respectively, which I found interesting.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS