Mozilla Delivers Firefox 3.6

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,510
Points 1,197,285
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 22 2010 9:00 PM
Just over five months after the browser first entered public testing with an alpha release, Mozilla released Firefox 3.6. Although we had previously heard about delays for the latest version of this popular browser, the actual delay was much shorter than some had expected.

So what will you get with Firefox 3.6? Well, for starters, Mozilla is touting the browser's speed improvements, claiming that Firefox 3.6 is more than 20% faster than Firefox 3.5. This improvement is due to "extensive under the hood work" that is designed to improve performance for everyday tasks such as email, uploading photos, social networking, and more. The browser also features support for a wide variety of Web standards, access to more than 6,000 free add-ons, customizable browser themes called Personas, a Plugin updater, improved JavaScript performance, and more.

What’s new in Firefox 3.6:
  • Personas: Personalize the look of your Firefox by selecting new themes called Personas in a single click and without a restart
  • Plugin Updater: To keep you safe from potential security vulnerabilities, Firefox will now detect out of date plugins
  • Stability improvements: Firefox 3.6 significantly decreased crashes caused by third party software – all without sacrificing our extensibility in any way
  • Form Complete: When filling out an online form, Firefox suggests information for fields based on your common answers in similar field
  • Performance: Improved JavaScript performance, overall browser responsiveness, and startup time
  • Open Video and Audio: With the world’s best implementation of HTML 5 audio and video support, now video can be displayed full screen and supports poster frames

What’s New Under the Hood for Developers
  • Support for the latest HTML5 specification, including the File API for local file handling
  • Font Support: In addition to OpenType and TrueType fonts, 3.6 now supports the new Web Open Font Format (WOFF)
  • CSS gradients: Supports linear and radial CSS gradients which allow for a smoother transition between colors
  • Device orientation: Firefox 3.6 exposes the orientation of the laptop or device to Web pages
Firefox 3.6 is currently available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux in more than 70 languages from www.firefox.com.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 9:17 PM

I walked the in-laws through installing it. Swear to god, their first question was: "Why is this responding so much faster than Internet Explorer???"

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Lol 3vi1!!

Firefox and Chrome are my browsers of choice! And 20% faster? I'm going to see it to believe it...installing now. Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:27 AM

Rofl 3vi1 I was explaining something to my mom earlier today regarding many things about IE. The first is the biggest target receives the most attention. With Windows being the largest by a percentage which dwarfs other OS choices by 75% or more percentage wise, and internet explorer being the default for web searches on it that target is huge. This does not only apply to people who write viruses though it includes adware, malware, general media, politics, financing, advertisement and basically anyone who wants to get in touch world wide with your computer for any reason.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:29 AM

She doesn't really get it but ok. 20% faster versus 3.5 or even 3 I have not noticed a difference from then to now.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:56 AM

Darn, i just updated to 3.5. Oh well, time to let the guinea pigs fix all the bugs, then in a month or two ill install 3.6. Surprisingly though, there is a noticeable difference as to how fast 3.5 is coming from 3, and im stuck on 44k dialsuck. I do like the looks of the persona stuff, maybe there will be a cool looking one by the time i upgrade.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 11:51 AM

I've got it and notice no speed change at all. Everything is just fast with this computer though.

I'll try it out on an older, slower PC and see what it's like.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 5:11 PM

I like the personas thing. It looks much cleaner than 3.0/3.5's UI.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 1,695
Bighorse replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 7:37 PM

From what I have seen of 3.6 I don't notice much difference. Firefox has always been fast and reliable so I guess it is hard to notice speed and stability improvements when I have no problems with it to begin with. I do think that IE9's possible improvements will put it back in to the ring with the other giants of the browser world, time will tell.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Considering it breaks my one gotta-have-it plugin, I'll pass for now.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS