The Space Bar Covers Your Keyboard While Adding USB Ports

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,178
Points 1,185,785
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 19 2010 2:16 PM
The Space Bar may look like an Apple accessory (we guess it's the brushed aluminum design), but in reality it's suitable for any desktop/notebook user that relies on a keyboard and has lots of accessories that can't seem to find a home.

Developed and sold by Quirky community, the Space Bar shelf is a multi-use device. It can hold thumb drives, keys and any other accessory you have laying around up top, while it covers up a keyboard that's 18" long and 1.5" high when you're not using it. There's also six USB ports on the front and a single USB socket on the rear, essentially providing you with a half dozen new ports to connect your peripherals without digging around the back of your tower.

It's half goofy, half useful, but it's incredibly hard to resist. You can purchase it now for $42.

The Space Bar, Desk Organizer with Built-In USB Ports, Hits quirky's Online Store

collaboratively developed in one week by quirky's community

New York, NY, January 19, 2010 -- Today marks the official release of The Space Bar - community developed office accessory to help you maximize the use ofyour desk space. The Space Bar is designed to house your desktopclutter while also providing additional USB ports for your gadgets. TheSpace Bar is simple and elegantly designed and provides you with More Space, More Ports, and Less Clutter.

Use The Space Bar shelf to store any desk items you like - keys,digital camera, iPod, Split Stick, Cable Caps, sticky notes and more.At the end of the day, simply slide your keyboard into the designatedspace below the shelf and return in the morning to a neat and organizedoffice space. This device can stow a keyboard up to 18" long by 1.5"high.

In addition to the storage and tidy-ness benefits, The Space Bar alsohas 6 USB ports conveniently located in the front of the unit and 1 USBcable in the back to connect it to your computer. Now there's need toconserve your ports - you can have your camera, iPod, Split Stick, andmore hooked in all at once! The Space Bar is constructed of aluminumwith durable hard plastic accents.

The Space Bar is the twenty third product designed and developed by the quirky community since quirky’s launch on June 2nd. quirkygives everyone the chance to get product ideas out of their heads andonto shelves. Each week quirky’s community collaborates to select andproduce one new product idea. This week ends the development of TheSpace Bar and it is now available for sale in sets of three at quirky’s online store for $42.00.

You might remember other successful quirky products including the Split Stick, a double-sided USB drive, the DigiDude, a portable camera tripod and keychain, the Scratch-n-Scroll, a mousepad with a writing surface and the PowerCurl, a cord wrap for Apple's MagSafe power adapter.

quirkyengages participants to collaborate in every aspect of product creation- from ideation, design, naming, manufacturing, marketing, right onthrough to sales. Anyone can participate on quirky.com either by submitting their own product idea for $99, or by voting, rating, and influencing other people’s product ideas. Cooler still, 30¢ of every dollar generated from the sale of a quirky product goes back to these influencers.

Every week users post ideas on quirky to be rated by the quirkycommunity. The community surveys the submissions during the 7-dayevaluation period and selects one product to move forward to productdevelopment. quirky’s community then begins weighing in on everythingfrom naming to logo selection to packaging through to prototype.

The final product becomes available for pre-sale at the quirky online store (quirky.com/products).Once the product hits its pre-sale threshold, credit cards are charged,and the product goes into production and delivery. At this point, 30¢of every dollar made from the sale of these products goes back to thecommunity. “Community” in this case covers both the ideator as well asall people who voted, commented, and rated the project idea along theway.

For more information about The SpaceBar, quirky, or to request an interview with Ben Kaufman, quirky'sfounder, contact Tiffany Markofsky at tiffany@quirky.com / 917.975.3811.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 2:27 PM

Why can you buy it in a 3 pack? That's strange as it seems to have enough ports for about any single user I can think of.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Good question rapid. I guess they assume that most home users have multiples of three keyboards at home.

I've been staring at the pic and I can't figure out where the storage compartment is. The extra USB ports will definitely come in handy and I guess you could place it upside down and sit your keyboard inside it to save space when you're using your computer.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 9:36 PM

I'd suspect that the 3-pack will be for businesses. It does look pretty handy under some situations.

Now if they only made one that went with my USB cap covers (also by Quirky)!

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:31 AM

Yeah Clem but a business would want substantially more a user would need 1 maybe two with as many ports as it has on it. I have no clue my motherboard and tower has more anyway and soon those would be USB3. Which I plan on grabbing a pci-X adapter for myself.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 10:18 AM

I could see putting my keyboard on top of this thing and storing stuff under it, but that might raise the keyboard too high for comfort. Moving it out of the way to get AT my keyboard would be a PITA at best. Especially with USB cables and devices connected to it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:40 PM

I wish they had a picture of this thing open I would like to see it

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS