NVIDIA GF100 Architecture and Feature Preview

rated by 0 users
This post has 45 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

It's two underclocked 5970's slapped together. Here are the specs, look at the number of stream processors and texture units, they're double the 5870's number.

Being underclocked, ATI leaves it up to the user to overclock as long as they're willing to deal with the extra wattage and heat. 5850's in crossfire just manages to beat this card in most in-game tests, but at a cost of 46 extra Watts.

Bu you're right that in terms of price it's a toss up. Two 5850's will cost around the same or slightly less than one 5970.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,818
Points 45,670
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 24 2010 2:45 AM

yeah when they first announced the 5850 and 5870 I was having flashbacks to the 9000 (I think it was 9550 models, but I can't remember). They did that with a couple high end and mid rage cards then. You could download the right bios for the card flash and then it loaded as the highest end card and performed the same as well. If I remember you had to have the ones with a red PCB.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jan 24 2010 10:05 AM

gibbersome:

Nvidia is getting sued by Rambus over their graphics chip technology. Nvidia is just one of many companies that Rambus is pursuing with the goal of gaining lucrative settlements and royalties, they already got $900 million from Samsung over memory chip technology.

And unfortunately Rambus won their nVidia suit, and are going after Asustek Computer, Asus Computer International, BFG Technologies, Biostar Microtech and Biostar Microtech International, Diablotek, EVGA Corp., G.B.T. , Giga-Byte Technology, Hewlett-Packard, MSI Computer, Micro-Star International, Palit Multimedia, Palit Microsystems, Pine Technology Holdings and Sparkle Computer.

For anyone that doesn't know Rambus, these were the guys who participated in the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) to develop new memory standards - concurrently working behind the scenes to patent everything (and not letting the other JEDEC members know that the new standard included their patented IP), then withdrawing from the group so as to not have to follow the 'reasonable and non-discriminatory' JEDEC patent policies.

When companies began implementing the new standards, Rambus surfaced and started suing everyone and their grandmother.  I think it says something when your Wikipedia page's "lawsuits" section is four times longer than the one on your technology.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Sun, Jan 24 2010 6:30 PM

Yup, Rambus are IP holding company jerks.

Hynix and more companies are also in a lawsuit with them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

3vi1:

And unfortunately Rambus won their nVidia suit, and are going after Asustek Computer, Asus Computer International, BFG Technologies, Biostar Microtech and Biostar Microtech International, Diablotek, EVGA Corp., G.B.T. , Giga-Byte Technology, Hewlett-Packard, MSI Computer, Micro-Star International, Palit Multimedia, Palit Microsystems, Pine Technology Holdings and Sparkle Computer.

For anyone that doesn't know Rambus, these were the guys who participated in the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) to develop new memory standards - concurrently working behind the scenes to patent everything (and not letting the other JEDEC members know that the new standard included their patented IP), then withdrawing from the group so as to not have to follow the 'reasonable and non-discriminatory' JEDEC patent policies.

When companies began implementing the new standards, Rambus surfaced and started suing everyone and their grandmother.  I think it says something when your Wikipedia page's "lawsuits" section is four times longer than the one on your technology.

Man, that really makes my blood boil. With them going after the big, popular companies, you know the consumer is going to end up paying the eventual cost.

Hmmm, but I did come across another interesting point that someone made on another forum. To summarize:

1. Rambus patents on high efficiency DRAM were used freely for 10 years

2. Hynix, Micron , Samsung, and Infineon attempted to kill Rambus by price fixing, for which they pled guilty.

3. Rambus sued 3 times for payment, and in turn was sued 3 times for delay.

4. Lawsuits were meant to bankrupt Rambus. So Rambus is in court for revenge, or some sort of corporate justice (oxymoron?).

I don't know what's going on exactly. Maybe Rambus was wronged initially and have discovered that there's much more money to be made by sucking other companies than by producing worthwhile products. I say it's time we kick out all these Harvard/Stanford/Wharton MBA types and let the engineers do what they do best.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,818
Points 45,670
rapid1 replied on Tue, Jan 26 2010 1:50 AM

Yeah Rambus is as much a committee of scammers as it is a group of professionals. I remember when you had to use there ram on Intel systems it always annoyed me.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 2 of 2 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS