Cable Caps Puts A (Cute) Lid On Your USB Accessories

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,856
Points 1,115,415
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jan 13 2010 1:39 AM
Accessories aren't usually able to grab our interest unless they reallydo something that hasn't been done before, but the new Cable Capsdefinitely have our eyes. Considering just how many USB peripherals weencounter on a daily basis, there's something special here that reallyconnects to our daily experiences. These community developed covershelp to protect, organize and add style to your every day USB cords.Put simply, they are designed to "help you protect the male end of anyUSB cable when not in use."

These also help to put varying faces on different cables, and if you'rememory is sharp, you'll be able to associate a cable head with apurpose. The top portion of each Cable Cap is a funky, unique characterwith a built in slot to receive a standard size USB cable. Below thehead, is a body section that acts as a stretchable band to tie up theremaining USB cable slack. When wrapped, the cable is tightly securedin place. When you need the cable, simply unwrap, pop off theappropriate cap and plug the USB into your computer.

Of course, the "cute" look of these make them perfect for gifts, andthey're currently being sold in sets of three for $7.99 each.

With Cable Caps covering and wrapping your USB cables, you will nolonger be fumbling around with excess, unidentified, knotted USBcables. There are six different Cable Cap characters for you tocollect: Printer Man, Phone Dude, Camera Gal. Eye Baller, Egg Man and'Da Bulb. They are sold in sets of three for for $7.99/set.

Cable Caps are the twenty second product designed and developed by the quirky community since quirky’s launch on June 2nd. quirkygives everyone the chance to get product ideas out of their heads andonto shelves. Each week quirky’s community collaborates to select andproduce one new product idea. This week ends the development of CableCaps and it is now available for sale in sets of three at quirky’s online store for $7.99.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 13 2010 2:43 AM

This is a pretty cool little device or ad on. I could definitely see the point as a lot of things are coming with a direct connect US charging attachment. There are other things as mentioned in the article that would be cool as well. For $7.99 I could think of 3 uses off the top of my head.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

I have a USB Flash drive on my keychain from 5 years ago, and most of those were spent without a cover...still works fine.

Cute, but largely pointless. :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 2:47 AM

I'd spend $7.99 to protect my male end!

Oh! Of a USB cable? Well... OK, sure.

(Seriously, I'll pick up a set. I do have Brother TZ labels on all my cables, and that's one of the treasons my computer build is going so slowly... that front panel cable wad is a mess. For the externals, though, these look great if you're just a little bit silly. But why an egg?)

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 3:47 AM

i'm gonna have to agree with gibbersome, this is pretty much pointless at least for me lol

Why an egg? To hatch some new ideas! Hahahah right? no? lol

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

Lol Clem, nice double entendre!

@acarzt Thanks for the support! :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

No offense to any guys that like these, but seems to me they'd be most appealing to kids and girls.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 5:49 PM

I think you are being too kind by including male kids in that group. :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 10:39 PM

I should show this to my gf i'm sure she'll love them lol

She's 23 and has stacks of hello kitty journals she uses at her college classes lol She means serious business lol

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

Yeah, same here. My gf still sleep with her baby blanket...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

File these caps under: Her-ipherals.

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 520

This product does look as if it would appeal more to the Ladies of the office.

One more cute little distraction to keep them off task...

(Ladies don't take offense! Around my current job, and most places I have worked, the women handle the cutesy end of office relationships, while the guys rather get the job done and go to the pub. Though there are those guys who like to gossip, Maybe they would like this product too...)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 15 2010 2:03 PM

If you gave these things to me, I'd give them away to someone else,....maybe my granddaughter.

I wouldn't even consider spending CASH on them.

And welcome to HotHardware.com Enigma,.............

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Fri, Jan 15 2010 3:02 PM

lol, yea i'd give them to my gf, and if she didn't want them, i'd give them to my neice.

-- Certifications --

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 12:21 AM

What if your niece did not like them acarzt

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

Hmmm....I like the occasional gossip (tech gossip that is)...and I don't go to pubs, but these still don't appeal to me. Smile

@rapid1 Good question, lol.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 5:53 PM

@recoveringknowitall: No offense taken. I'm in touch with my childlike side and my feminine side.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

Lol, gone over the dark side, have you?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS