Physx Fail

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt Posted: Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:40 PM

Not really expecting anyone to offer a fix for this... more that i just wanted to rant about it.

So i've been playing Batman Arkham Asylum. Awesome game btw, it's a lot of fun and looks pretty good.

So i've everything cranked to max and Physx is turned out. When it works there are some pretty cool effects... but every now and then seemingly out of nowhere... it seems like physx will just turn off, and the game will be running without it. And I start to get some really weird effects like leave or paper floating in mid air? And once or twice I had some wierd streaking... like objects will stretch across the screen.

All my temps are good. I think maybe it's just bad drivers or a glitch in the game. I had my system overclocked for a little while, but it tested completely stable. When I saw these things happen I clocked it back down to stock clock speeds. But the effects are still there.

I don't have a problem with anything else... so I just blame it on the software. Also the game has crashed once or twice.

I might try using an older Driver. I recently updated to the latest nvidia drives... so maybe that's the problem?

Anyone experience anything like this in Batman AA?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Is the game bootlegged?  I've heard of phys-x issues in bootlegged games.  If it is, the conversation ends, if not, I can glance around the web to help you.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

I have yet to play a new game with Physx in in other than UT3... I dont think it will ever more more than just an extra feature since Nvid has the market on it and game makers are not going to code sloy for Physx

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Wed, Jan 13 2010 2:40 PM

lol no, got it for xmas from the girlfriend.

So def not boot leg lol

Der, The physx effects can be pretty cool but, can also be easily missed if you don't know what to look for. I feel dorky saying "Coooool!" To the realistic folding of paper as you walk throw a pile of crap on the floor lol While people who are not as into this stuff as we are would look at it and say "So what? What's the big deal?"

It's funny how much processing power it takes for such a small effect lol

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:38 AM

Have you tried to disable SLi and keep physx enabled and see if the issues still arise?  If this fixes the issue, then it is an SLi issue which is a driver issue and i would report your findings to the game makers and nvidia.  Getting enough people to push to fix this might be a problem as obviously the dual gpu cards are not owned by a majority of gamers out there.  Some of the places around that mod vid drivers might be a good place to go and see if you can get someone there to mod some drivers for you to work on trying to fix the problem.  Some of those guys are actually in contact with the gpu driver makers and can get things in the pipeline for future WHQL drivers.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Wish I could help. My 8800gts 320 runs the game great, but the second I turn on physx it drops to like 2fps. Jen's got a 9600gt, but her CPU can't keep up. ANNYYYWAY I have not tried the physx in batman.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 3:38 AM

I get mostly playable frame rates with every cranked up and physx on. I did however turn the AA down. 16x brought the game to a crawl so I turned it down to 4x. I can't really tell a diff between the 2 anyway lol

I have a Multi GPU Enable/Disable option, but not necessarily a SLI option. I did however accidentally run it with mutli GPU and physx disabled.

Physx was enable in the game settings, but disabled for the gpu settings. Talk about slow down lol The game was running on the equivelant of a single gtx260 with everything at max and Physx . I think I got the same 2fps bob lol

I think if I disable multi gpu and leave physx enable it will task 1 gpu with all of the work.... I'll look into it anyway and see what happens tho cuz now i'm curious.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Ask realneil about this. I think he has a dedicated PhysX card setup.

Also, have you patched up the game to 1.1?  It enables GPU Physx.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 10:55 PM

Yea, i'm running 1.1.

Haven't had the time to mess with it tho. I'll mess with it this weekend tho. I stay pretty busy during the week with work and the GF.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 3:51 AM

So I finally disable the multi-gpu and guess what?

The frame rates doubled! The game has a built in benchmark and with multi gpu and Physx enabled, it averaged 25-30 fps. Just ran the benchmark and it pulled 50 FPS. MUCH better!

But it's annoying that the system is too stupid to run physx only on 1 GPU and the game on the other. It seems it was doing both on both GPUs. It wasn't efficiently splitting the workload... So now I know for games with physx support to turn off the multi-gpu and turn it back on for others.

Thanks for the recommendation! Probably wouldn't have tried it on my own lol. I just assumed it would be smart enough to figure it out on it's own! lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 3:53 AM

I should also add, i haven't played the game yet since the change... i'll let you know if that cleared up the wierd graphical glitches. I think it will have tho... i'll let you guys know!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS