Nforce 3 chipset heat sink instillation?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115
giantjoebot Posted: Tue, Jan 5 2010 6:15 AM

Okay, so I got a nforce 3 board donated to me, and I was fixing it up for this girl I'm dating.  The northbridge fan was noisy, and I had an extra nice little copper replacement.  So I pull off the heat sink, and to my surprise the nforce 3 chip is big, a lot bigger than an nforce 4 chip.  I've dealt with these older, large, motherboard chips before, but I kind of screwed up the last motherboard that I tried replacing the northbridge heat sink on.  I might have been something else that screwed up the board, but I'm still a little freaked out.  I ended up just spreading thermal paste over the chip as evenly as possible, and installing the heatsink.  Everything seems to be working fine, but I'm still a little freaked out.  Anyone have any advice on how to install a heatsink on one of these older, large, motherboard chips?  I tried to google it, but couldn't find much information.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

from what it loos like that's how I would have done it

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:25 AM

If your after market sink is bolt through you should be fine, if it is just the plastic push pin with a lil spring, then it is a good idea to leave the mobo horizontal for a few power cycles.  Basically heat that puppy up running OCCT or prime95, let it idle, full load again, then shut it off for a few hours then do the same.  This makes sure the paste cures and that you dont get wierd air pockets if the after market sink weighs more.  Usually for nb chips a non conductive thermal paste like Arctic Silver Ceramic is used so that there are not issues.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115

Cool, thanks for the advice guy.  When I installed it, I pushed down with a good amount of force, and turned it back and forth slightly.  I think that really helped, because its really on there now.  The next day I tried to move it like I did when I installed it, and it didn't buge at all.  Its like its suction cupped on there.  I think it will be fine.  Its a little quieter now.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS