Skiff & Sprint Preview Largest E-Reader Yet

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,790
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 4 2010 9:51 PM
Amazon's Kindle DX may have made some headlines when it was announced thanks to its 9.7-inch screen, but now Sprint and Skiff plan to take the crown for offering the largest e-reader on the market. The new Skiff Reader is just over a quarter of an inch thick, yet it manages to squeeze an 11.5-inch touchscreen display into its body.

The1200 x 1600 touchscreen is capable of responding to both finger and stylus input. In addition to being sleek, the Skiff Reader is designed for durability, featuring the next-generation of e-paper display. This display is based on a thin, flexible sheet of stainless steel foil from LG Display.

The e-reader offers 4GB of on-board storage, 3GB of which is available for storing content. For additional storage, the Skiff Reader has a SD card expansion slot. There's also a 3.5mm headphone jack. You can side-load content using a mini USB jack or Wi-Fi. What's even better, there will also be 3G connectivity built in to the device. The 3G service will be provided by Sprint which will dedicate some retail store space to make the reader more accessible for purchase.

Skiff claims the device weighs just over a pound and can last over a week of average use between charges. The Skiff Reader will integrate the upcoming Skiff e-reading service. You'll be able to purchase content through the Skiff Store as well as load your own personal and work documents.

Pricing is not yet available. The reader is expected to ship sometime this year.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Mon, Jan 4 2010 11:25 PM

That is cool. Now we just need Barnes to steal this technology so we can have a sweet library of books to choose from....

Did I say steal? I meant to innovate and come up with something similar... heh

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

Lol, acarzt.

I like that it's bendy. Big Smile

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 8:16 PM

Heh, yea it is pretty cool.

My GF wants a nook for V-day so i'm gonna have to go searching the couch cusions for some coinage lol

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

Well whatever you do, don't order from Amazon.com.

They don't want people to know that the Nook is the same price as their Kindle.

http://hothardware.com/cs/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.02.60.12/Nook.jpg

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 11:18 PM

lol yea I saw that!

I went to see if anyone else carried the nook, looking for a deal and over on amazon they had it for like $1,000 at the time I checked lol

Ridiculous!!

-- Certifications --

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 6:36 PM

I was at the Barnes & Noble near the Moorestown Mall (New Jersey) and they had not only a demo unit but a few to sell. So, they are out there, you just have to hustle to find them. And not at an Amazon premium either. (Full disclosure: I buy a lot of stuff from them when they're the loewst cost alternative. Example: I'm mulling over the iPod Touch; they have it for $30 less than retail. But they're jerks when it comes to anything having to do with the Kindle.)

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

I have Amazon Prime so I try to shop there as much as I can.

Their subscription service is actually pretty good and saves me alot of time and money, even though I only order toilet paper and cereal from it, lol.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
taochild replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 9:34 AM

As a pianist, I am looking at this device's potential for storing sheet music.  There are digital sheet music displays on the market now, but they are expensive.  I like the slim design and the touch screen of the Skiff.  It could make turning pages a lot easier. Has anyone heard how much it costs?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I hadn't thought about sheet music as a potential use Tao. I can really visualize a pianist no longer having to fiddle with turning the page before it's too late. Instead, a simple side swipe of the finger and the page instantly transitions. 

I love technology and engineering. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS