Intel Clarkdale Core i5 Desktop Processor Debuts

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,275
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:44 AM

Intel Clarkdale Core i5 Desktop Processor DebutsA couple of weeks ago, we evaluated Intel's Pinetrail platform for netbooks, which features an Atom CPU core, fused to a graphics processor on a single, monolithic die. Today, Intel is taking a similar approach in the desktop space with the company's much more powerful Clarkdale family of processors, although Clarkdale's integrated graphics processor isn't on-die--it is on the same package as the CPU though.

Clarkdale-based processors feature a number of cutting edge Intel technologies. For one, the processor cores are manufactured using a 32nm high-k process. They also feature Intel Turbo Mode technology, Hyper-Threading, AES acceleration, and Intel's latest graphics processing core, branded Intel HD Graphics, that also happens to house a memory controller and PCI Express connectivity.

The Clarkdale architecture will be used for a whole family of new processors in the Core i5, Core i3, and Pentium series. We've had one of the higher-end offerings in house for a few weeks, the Core i5 661, and have been putting it through its paces for most of that time. Read on for the full scoop...

Intel Clarkdale Core i5 Desktop Processor Debuts

Clarkdale Processor with Integrated Graphics, H57 Chipset

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jan 4 2010 3:28 AM

How are these on a heat dissipation scale. I know in general GPU's run hotter than CPU's when in use, in many cases considerably so especially when built on a 45nm or larger scale. The GPU on these chips are therefore (at the 45nm spectrum) considerably larger and use more power thereby producing this higher heat level. I also notice on these units they are quite close together leading to heat bleed inside a package, or at least I would fear. I also noticed you overclocked it which would lead to even more heat. In general heat is bad in a case like this component build I would think it to be quite high on anything over stock, and even at stock. I was thinking about this the other day while thinking about another issue. The first group who buys in many cases are the enthusiasts. The enthusiasts also generally want more for there money, and therefore in many cases will OC.  Therefore it would actually be in a companies interest to release unlocked high end components. Then a good amount of those who buy them will OC(overclock) them and the component lifespan would then be shortened. This would seem to be a varying point, but in any way across the board would occur to some point. The consumer who does this will also almost always turn around and buy a new on as well as components to go with it (MB,Ram,GPU etc), thereby feeding the market. So you look at the enthusiast market which is generally called a small sector of said hardware market, but if because of things such as this they buy double the amount of hardware in half the time of a normal user they purchase 4 times what a general user does. So is that market sector really small? Anyway with these thoughts regarding unlocked CPU's and or other components would such heat issues not least to a greater turnaround rate for the market in general or Intel at least with a component like this on a much broader spectrum and doubly (or 8 times if they already purchase at a 4 times greater frequency)  with the enthusiast market.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator

This doesn't seem to be the solution if you're an Extreme Gamer kind of guy. I wouldn't consider it for such use anyway,....It's more like a mainstream setup and with proper cooling should do what they say it will over the life expectancy of the unit. A real high end CPU and the GPU of your choice is the way to go for OC'ing madness. I just can't see the merging of CPU and GPU as being groundbreaking in any way other than the technical aspects of actually doing such a thing.

I'm stuck on the Idea that they remain separate and be interchangeable separately.

Again, this would be the processor you buy for Mom's Pogo games and e-mail fun.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Embedded solutions will benefit from integration in the future.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jan 4 2010 5:11 PM

yeah that's true I was just talking about the heat of this unit contained in such a small space. with both a cpu and gpu in one package it has to cut into the life span of such a component it would seem to me.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115

I wonder how the GPU is going to do. Seems like a strong CPU with a weak GPU. Good for office work, and grandma. I think AMD's fusion will be more balanced, and a better deal for most people that want to do more that use office and browse the web.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Jan 5 2010 4:20 PM

Well, they run cool, so I wouldn't be concerned with the additional heat of the GPU affecting the lifespan.

Also keep in mind, it's not a single die. As long as a proper heatsink is used, heat will be dissipated without an issue.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Considering the price and what you can get instead of one of these things, they really serve no purpose.  Lets take a $200 cpu and stick a crappy $5 gpu on chip.  Now lets sell it for $300!  These integrated i5's are not worth it in the slightest, more along the lines of an "Us First!" before AMD's Fusion comes out.

Now the i3's at $100~133 are a much better deal if you don't need anything past integrated graphics.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

giantjoebot:

I wonder how the GPU is going to do. Seems like a strong CPU with a weak GPU. Good for office work, and grandma. I think AMD's fusion will be more balanced, and a better deal for most people that want to do more that use office and browse the web.

I really agree with this. I don't think these are aimed at us at all. I think they are more for Dell and will help Intel keep that IGP market theirs.

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 520

I doubt that this is really geared for the "High-End gamer".

This however, will really be step up from the more business related desktop machines. A lot of the Dell systems that I see at work host the "Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family", and that is on the better, newer side of the the "fence". Some programs, require a bit more video to run properly and some clients don't want to see video card upgrades in their budget. Not for Office machines anyways. This solution will help alleviate some of these issues at hand.

Also you have to think of the "Lite Gamer" Intel integrated video won't run a whole lot, this will help them with some of their problems as well.

And last but not least, the whole HD everything kick. Blue-ray Dvd drives/burners are really becoming a more common place as their prices have been steadily dropping. This will be Intels "marketing-intro", if you will, to keep up with this technology as well.

I am of course referring to "Cookie Cutter systems" such as Dell, Hp, Acer, and the like.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS