Asus EAH5870 Radeon HD 5870 Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,334
Points 1,191,055
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 29 2009 2:31 PM

Asus EAH5870 Radeon HD 5870 ReviewImmediately upon its introduction, the ATI Radeon HD 5870 took the title for the fastest, single-GPU on the market. There was simply no other single-GPU that could touch it, not only in terms of performance, but in regard to features as well. And at the time, virtually all of AMD's strategic board partners were at the ready with products based on the Radeon HD 5870 reference design.

Unfortunately, due to some yield issues at TSMC, the foundry that manufactures the actual chips at the heart of the card, supplies of Radeon HD 5870 (and Radeon HD 5850) cards quickly dried up. AMD had the fastest, most feature-rich single GPU on the market, and it was incredibly difficult to buy one for a while there.

The supply issues have since cleared up, however, and Radeon HD 5870 cards are easily attainable once again. With that in mind, we're taking a look at Asus' take on AMD's flagship single-GPU, the EAH5870. Like essentially all of the other Radeon HD 5870 cards currently available, Asus' offering is based on AMD's reference design. But Asus does have a couple of tricks up its sleeve that help differentiate the EAH5870 from the also-rans. Read on and take a look for yourself...

Asus EAH5870 Radeon HD 5870 Review

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:28 AM

One thing I really don't get regarding the testing of any 5870 is this why is the 5890 not included in the tested video cards. I know it is ATI's dual GPU model and we are with the 5870 talking about a single gpu card. However; every benchmarks or card vs card test I have seen has also included the Nvidia 295 card which is dual GPU and was released vs the ATI series 4000 dual GPU card. If we are going to include a Nvidia dual GPU card in a single GPU review why not include the 5890. I mean I know Nvidia has as of now not caught up to ATI, but I really don't care as a consumer, a hardware enthusiast, a gamer or any other name I could be called I want to see whats best. So a review including a Nvidia dual GPU card should also include an ATI Dual piece of equipment as well. To be fair it can include both the 4870 x2 and 5890 dual GPU card as well as the 4850 x2. Then I can make the best decision for what I want and the money I want to spend. Without it I cannot do that; and neither can anyone else, but no one includes all the options available.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,682
Points 104,315
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:21 PM

two of these in crossfire would be wazoo,..............Now let's work on the outrageous prices of the damn things.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 4:47 PM

Hey Rapid. To be perfectly honest, I just didn't want to overload the graphs with 5970 numbers, assuming HotHardware readers know the 5970 is more powerful than the 5870.

The 4850 X2 is another story. Since we've alraedy hot 4870 X2 numbers, why muddy the waters with numbers from another card that everyone knows is obviously lower if it doesn't add some unexpected wrinkle to the results?

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 5:01 PM

Anyway, I just updated the graphs for ya--don't say I never gave you anything. :)

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 520

I have been having a lot of luck with ASUS + ATi video cards in my builds for customers. They have a well rounded price point and seem very solid. Their drivers however seem to be a bit on the hit-or-miss side, though ATi drivers from AMD's website always work. Only thing that ever got me, and did a good job of it was the fact that ASUS ATi video cards will not run in most ABit motherboards. I was a huge fan of the ABit brand while it still existed so my pair of ASUS 3870x2's would never run on my new motherboard and prompted me to go with another mobo manufacturer. The ASUS 3870x2's were awesome before they were "outdated" and well worth the trouble the build put me through.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS