Study: 50% Of America Now Owns An HDTV - Are You One Of Them?

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,171,900
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:34 AM
The HDTV business is booming, and even though they aren't nearly as buzz-worthy as they once were, that's clearly not stopping consumers from picking them up. High-def sets have withstood the test of time thus far, with more and more consumers jumping at the chance to upgrade to a flat-panel as each year passes by. Huge events like the Super Bowl, World Cup and Olympics have a tendency to get people thinking about all that resolution they're missing out on, and evidently so does the massive amount of HD programming now available via pay-TV providers.

A new study by the Leichtman Research Group has found that "nearly 50% of U.S. households will own a HDTV by the end of the year." Just as a reminder, the end of the year is hours away, so this is basically saying that as of right now around half of Americans own at least one HDTV set. That's a pretty incredible figure when you step back and think about it. During the year in which we experienced the worst recession since the Great Depression, HDTV purchases have somehow crept up in order to bring the overall rate of ownership in the US to around 50%.

We've also noticed a continual uptick in the amount of available HD channels, though paying for them hasn't gotten any easier. Most major sporting events are now in HD, and it's tough to watch a broadcast drama without seeing each and every commercial in HD. In a way, HD has become "the norm," and for many it's tough to even watch television in standard definition. One place where HD has yet to grab ahold is the Web. Sure, there's YouTube HD clips and "HD" versions of certain shows, but there's just not enough bandwidth in the average US home to really grab true HD clips. We're guessing that it's just a matter of time before that happens, and we don't suspect it'll take until the end of the next decade for HDTVs to reach a similar penetration rate as the DVD player. As for Blu-ray? Well, let's just say that has aways to go before it catches the HDTV...
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 87
Points 915
wil2200 replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 9:24 AM

nope

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 9:52 AM

Me in supermarket in line behind 3 different ladies all of them on food stamps. Each one has $200+ in groceries and only has to pay like $20 cash. They're all talking about their fancy new 60 inch plus HDTVs, and are wearing what appears to be really nice jewelery/clothes, hell My GF mentioned that the bag one of them was carrying costs close to $1000. And me I guess I'm a sucker, I pay my taxes, pay for all my groceries with money, own a house, have insurance yeah all the normal stuff and I don't have a 60 inch TV. I guess you don't need your priorities straight anymore the government will bail you out. No wonder this country's economy has gone to hell.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Yea, I own three. Living room (Sharp Aquos 52"), bedroom (Sharp Aquos 40"), and kitchen (Sharp 19"). I guess you could say I own five if you count my HDMI input 24" monitors. I had to watch an old style standard TV at my parents house while down there for a couple weeks before XMas. My eyes were actually hurting.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Ppl without HD sets probably still have HD sets... if HD stands for huge dinosaur that is!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:13 PM

I have three of them. Two are Visio's, 42" & 32" LCDs respectively. And the last is a Sanyo 26" in the Kitchen. I use the Sanyo more than the others usually.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

55" Panasonic Plasma for the PS3

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Dec 31 2009 5:56 PM

Hate to say I see the same thing, but I do, DigitalDD.

I remember after hurricane Rita leveled my town, I didn't take any of the FEMA money - because per the actual rules you're not entitled to it if your insurance pays for certain things, which mine did. I told the wife I wouldn't feel right about taking the money if there were another hurricane four weeks down the road and someone else actually needed that money.

Well lo-and-behold, weeks later everyone else in town was bragging about how they had used their FEMA checks to buy big-screen TVs and such.

I still am glad I stuck to my principles, but seriously... people suck.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Nope, don't even have a TV. $100/month on cable is a little expensive so I decided to forego the medium altogether. The internet is enough for now. :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,094
Points 38,120
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 10:29 PM

I had a little 32" Sharp 1080P HDTV and a 26" Sharp 720p with a built in DVD player :-)

And a 24" Dell, non-HDCP tho :-(

I'd really like a Panasonic Plasma.... mmmmmm

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 10:35 PM

Be careful, this doesn't happen to you:

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,094
Points 38,120
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 11:58 PM

Pictures = Sad face :-(

No pics for me at work

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 180

i have 1, a 32in Vizio, which goes well with my ps3 Smile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 2:51 PM

gibbersome:

Nope, don't even have a TV. $100/month on cable is a little expensive so I decided to forego the medium altogether. The internet is enough for now. :)

Exactly! Though I don't think cable is that much where I live. But still a lot for what little TV I would be watching.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 590

Necro'd this thread by nearly a month, no matter. Yep, I have 3 HDTVs in my house, a 50" Vizio 1080p HDTV in my living room, my brother has a 26" 1080i HDTV (lol what is 1080i?), and I have a Sanyo 36" TV in my room. And the thing about Blu-Ray, I really don't care for them. If I had a PS3, sure, I may buy a few movies on Blu-Ray, but I most likely will not be buying a Blu-Ray player, or a Blu-Ray drive for my computer.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

What that guy giving the TV away doesn't know is that the burn in will eventually go away on a LCD.

I own a 42" samsung. Hooked up to a digital converter box because I never actually use it. I do get 7 over the air HD channels though. All the big networks. I usually just end up watching stuff on hulu.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 12:11 PM

Ironically I'm one of the few who still don't own a TV.

Every TV we have is SDTV, and we only have 2 widescreen monitors.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS