Upstairs Router. Poor Signal downstairs

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 175
hachiman Posted: Mon, Dec 28 2009 6:28 PM

Hi

I have a Belkin G router upstairs and so far had no problems connecting other devices to it downstairs such as laptops and mobile phones.

However i bought my son a PC at xmas to play games on and he's getting a lot of lag and disconnects. The signal strength comes up on his pc as poor to fair.

I went and bought a Belkin N router and adapter as i thought this would address the issue but i'm still getting the same signal levels.

I've even moved the router closer to the upstairs bedroom door so it is nearer the stairs, but no difference.

Anything i can do or buy?

Thanx
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Dec 28 2009 7:42 PM

There may be, yes.  Which model router did you get, exactly?

If the router has removable antennas, you may be able to replace one (or more) of the stock antennas with higher-gain omni directional antennas, or even a directional antenna, targeted at the problem computer.

In addition, if your router is supported by DD-WRT,you may be able to flash the firmware and increase the transmit power of the router.

The absolute best solution would be to move the router to a central location that better services all of the systems.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

you can also try and access point which will relay the signal for downstairs as well... but the access point and the router need to have good signal between the two

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Mon, Dec 28 2009 11:21 PM

hachiman:
Anything i can do or buy?

If you have external antennas on both the router and the adapter you should orient them so that they are parallel to each other like this:  l l  . I had a similar problem with my old Linksys WRT54G two-mast router, and it was quite maddening. I finally replaced it with a very cheap Airlink AR525W router that has made my wireless network a Heaven-on-Earth. That Airlink is a wireless G MIMO router, but my wireless cards don't support MIMO. Instead, I attribute the wonderful signal strength and speed to the fact that the router has three rather-large external antenna masts:

There are many new wireless routers that look really cool, like this one...

...but I would choose an ugly 3 mast-er instead!

*EDIT* - My router is also upstairs on one side of the house, and it provides excellent coverage downstairs, even on the opposite end of the home approximately 50 feet away. 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS