D-Link's DIR-412 3.5G Wireless Router Spreads WWAN Love Over Wi-Fi

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,782
Points 1,162,605
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:59 AM
What's better than a WLAN router? Why, a WWAN router, of course! D-Link has just introduced its newest 3.5G router in the DIR-412, which is a compact wireless access point that essentially enables multiple users with Wi-Fi devices to share a single cellular data connection.

The portable router ships with 802.11n functionality, which essentially enables users to plug in their WWAN modem and then distribute that signal to any device with a Wi-Fi chip. You'll obviously see a significant slow down if you try to connect to many users to a single connection, but it definitely has merit in a pinch. No price or release date is mentioned, but with CES just around the bend, we're guessing it'll be sooner rather than later.

D-Link Unveils New 3.5G Wireless Router

DUBAI, UAE, December 16 /PRNewswire/ -- D-Link Middle East, theend-to-end computer network solutions provider for consumer and businesses,today announced the release of the DIR-412 3.5G Wireless Router. The routerallows users to access and share worldwide mobile broadband.

The DIR-412 is a compact 3.5G router that allows users to share a 3.5GInternet connection through a secure, high-speed wireless network when a 3.5GUSB adapter is attached to the device. Built with Wireless N 150 technology,this device offers increased speed and range, and can also connect to aDSL/cable modem to serve as a primary or backup link. In addition, theDIR-412 supports WAN failover to ensure uninterrupted connection byautomatically connecting users to a 3.5G network if the WAN connection islost.

"The DIR-412 is excellent for situations where conventional forms ofnetwork access are less than convenient," said Harrison Albert, RegionalSales Director at D-Link Middle East. "With the transition to wireless, thisdevice provides users with an affordable 3.5G option that is also highlydependable."

The DIR-412 also offers advanced network security with WPA/WPA2encryption, and it provides flexible coverage with multiple frequencysupport. Users can quickly set up connection to new devices by pressing theWPS button, which is located at the top of the router. Additionally, theDIR-412 utilizes dual-active firewalls (SPI and NAT) to prevent potentialattacks and intrusions from across the Internet.

About D-Link:

D-Link is the global leader in connectivity for small, medium and largeenterprise business networking. The company continues to strive towardsexcellence as an award-winning designer, developer and manufacturer ofnetworking, broadband, digital electronics, voice and data communicationssolutions for the digital home, Small Office/Home Office (SOHO), Small toMedium Business (SMB), and Workgroup for Enterprise Environments. Withmillions of networking and connectivity products manufactured and shipped,D-Link is a dominant market participant and price/performance leader in thenetworking and communications market. D-Link ME Headquarters is located inDubai, the UAE, Dubai Internet City, Office 103, Building #3, Tel.: +971 4391 6480, Fax: +971 4 390 8881. For general inquiries, contact:info.me@dlink-me.com or visit our website: http://www.dlink-me.com.

D-Link and the D-Link logo are trademarks or registered trademarks ofD-Link Corporation or its subsidiaries. All other third party marks mentionedherein may be trademarks of their respective owners. Copyright (c) 2009.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

Is AT&T OK with this?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Dec 17 2009 4:18 PM

Hmmm... this actually looks pretty interesting. There's no cable or DSL broadband where my parents live... I wonder if this might be a workable solution.

I have the same question as SuperDave though: In a time when carriers are constantly complaining about bandwidth being eaten by data services - is this a product they'll receive warmly?

The D-Link DIR-400 can run DD-WRT firmware... I wonder if DD-WRT will get cellular feature support soon? Is the cell modem built-in, or do you plug an external one into the unit (hard to tell if that's some kind of slot(s) on top)?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS