HP Mini 311 Ion-Based Netbook Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,856
Points 1,115,415
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 14 2009 2:27 PM

HP Mini 311 Ion-Based Netbook ReviewHP's Mini range of netbooks have been well respected in the industry, and while they were never as instrumental as Asus in the explosion of the netbook as a whole, they've really managed to nail their niche. From the start, the HP Mini was one of the most fashionable netbook lines out there, boasting subtle curves, a uniform keyboard, gorgeous styling cues and a larger-than-average trackpad. By and large, the Mini lineup hasn't changed too much since its introduction, but that has mainly been the case because Windows XP was pretty much the only operating system available for it (Linux alternatives notwithstanding). Couple that with the limited Atom CPU lineup and the struggle to keep costs down, and we're left with a colorful line of machines that don't actually differ much from one another, save for designs and accents.

Now, there are two major reasons to pay close attention to the Mini 311. It may follow the prior Minis in terms of size and style, but it's the differences within that promise to make this a new, refreshed machine. For starters, HP has loaded Windows 7 onto this machine. We waited for what felt like forever to finally have Windows 7 available for netbooks, and we can confess that it really adds a touch of style and functionality compared to older models with XP. The second major addition is NVIDIA's Ion technology...

HP Mini 311 Ion-Based Netbook Review

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
Poke replied on Mon, Dec 14 2009 3:06 PM

please research again on the gaming side because right now YouTube is filled with HP 311 running COD4/Left4Dead/CS:Source/Quake4/etc. at decent fps (25-30)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,409
Points 46,520
ForumsAdministrator

Links?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Astaroth replied on Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:19 PM

Your CPU was at max utilization while playing HD content? Try Media Player Classic Home Cinema. 1080p video played back perfectly with 30% CPU utilization.

Also, the touchpad is certainly multi touch. Update your drivers.

Finally, I play Portal perfectly without overclocking, so HL2 should also be fine.

This could have been a more careful review.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:53 AM

I liked the review just fine. I agree that it's too soon to recommend or buy one of these little computers because of what's around the next bend. Buy now, and be sorry for what you could have had if you'd waited a while.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
jar1836 replied on Fri, Dec 18 2009 4:01 PM

I have oblivion, bioshock, Cod4 all running decent, oblivion at medium settings 

search "mini 311 gaming" on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mini+311+gaming&search_type=&aq=f

also the mini 311 has ddr3 ram unlike most netbooks and can handle a maxium of 3gb.

and the n270 or n280  can be overclocked to 2.0 ghz

http://myhpmini.com/2009/12/hp-mini-311-gets-cpu-overclocked-to-2ghz-gpu-can-be-overclocked-as-well/

i have 

1gb ddr3(stock)

n270

160 hdd

xp

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS