Intel Pays AMD The $1.25 Billion It Owed, AMD Throws A Check-Cashing Party

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 11 2009 3:21 PM
We know it's just semantics, but evidently AMD billed Intel with NET30terms, because just under a month after Intel decided to cough up awhopping $1.25 billion in order to put an end to the lingering (andcostly) litigation between the two regarding antitrust claims and IPdisputes, Intel has delivered. AMD just received one of the biggestchecks that have probably ever arrived at its mailstop, with a cool$1.25 billion moving out of Intel's coffers and into AMD's piggy bank.

According to the release, the payment "settles monetary terms regardingan agreement over a number of antitrust patent disputes," and of coursethis also means that the two are exchanging patent rights at the verybeginning of their five-year agreement. It's tough to say what AMD willend up doing with the cash, but it's definitely a lot of dough to justreceive all of a sudden. Will it fast-track mobile platform chips? Bustout a consumer level 16-core CPU? Just use it to buy anti-Intel ads?Only time will tell, but we're sure hoping the cash will enable thecompany to make a really serious push in the coming year to gainingback some of that market share it has lost.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Dec 12 2009 3:42 PM

I'd like to think AMD would push the money into research and manufacturing, but my 20 dilbertesque years experience in the corporate world leads me to expect: "BONUSES FOR ALL EXECS AND THE LEGAL DEPARMENT! WOOHOO!"

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator

Big SmileBeerYesStick out tongueDrinksSmile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,102
Points 38,250
acarzt replied on Sun, Dec 13 2009 3:02 AM

my thoughts exactly

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:44 AM

Now they can make an invisible computer.

But how would we know for sure that they did?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS