Western Digital Caviar Black and RE4 2TB Drives Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,955
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 9 2009 12:08 PM

Western Digital Caviar Black and RE4 2TB Drives ReviewIt happens to all of us at some point. We constantly run short of hard drive space, no matter how incredibly cavernous you thought your current drive was when you bought it. Did you really expect Dragon Age: Origins and Borderlands to soak up almost thirty gigabytes between them? Didn't think so. You either shove Office 2007 and Photoshop CS aside to make some room for your latest losslessly-ripped music and RAW photos, or grab a drive that offers up more capacity, say up to 2TB--such as the ones we're going to be evaluating here.

You know the contenders. These aren't solid state drives full of a speedy but thimble-sized flash memory chips--these are large, succulent drives with platters humming at 7200rpm and they're made by Western Digital.

Taken to task today we have three drives in total: the Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB which we'll use as a reference point, and two relatively new offerings from WD: The RE4 2TB drive and the Caviar Black 2TB. Which of the three drives outperformed the others? There was a clear winner, and that particular drive is an absolute speed demon...

Western Digital Caviar Black and RE4 2TB Drives Review

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60
MRFS replied on Wed, Dec 9 2009 4:15 PM

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Western-Digital-Caviar-Black-and-RE4-2TB-Drives-Review/?page=3

We're confused by your summary on Page 3:

it appears from the numbers that the RE4 is the winner, not the Caviar Black.

Please clarify.

MRFS

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Dec 9 2009 6:14 PM

You are correct. The wording was incorrect. The WD Black beats the Seagate drive, but the RE4 wins in that benchmark. Overall though, the Caviar Black is fastest, in terms of both transfer rates, access times, and real-world game load times.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 7:28 AM

2TB drives are still pricey compared to their siblings (as you implied on page 7)... but it's getting closer. At the moment you can get two 1TB units for less than a 2TB (no matter what vendor it's from), but the price for 1 1/3 x 1.5TB drives is about the same as 2 x 1TB. Assuming you can find someone to sell you a third of a drive.

I expect this to change after Xmas, though, and the 2TB drives will be the price per GB champs. But I also think that many builders and upgraders will be going toward a lower-cost and more sedate large mechanical HD for storage of video and audio, and a much faster SSD for the OS and frequently used apps.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 465
Points 7,030
AjayD replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 10:47 PM

I bought one of the 1.5TB Seagate drives when they first came out and have been very satisfied with it. A few weeks ago, I purchased a 2TB Hitachi drive that I haven't been all too impressed with. It is much louder than my Seagate, and makes some noises that don't sound very healthy. Although, at exactly half the price of the 2TB Caviar Black, it is still a bargain even if it is noisy.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS