Microsoft Urging Businesses to Move to Windows 7 As XP SP2 Approaches End-of-Life

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,895
Points 1,174,320
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 8 2009 3:30 PM
Windows XP has lived longer than anyone, including Microsoft, ever expected, but the software giant is preparing to EOL (end-of-life) the nearly decade-old operating system. On July 13, 2010, MS will cease to support XP SP2, although critical security updates will still be provided free of charge through April 8, 2014. XP SP2 isn't the only OS Microsoft plans to phase out in the next seven months—the company will also stop supporting Windows 2000 Server/Client on the same date.

Microsoft is recommending that any company still using one of the above plan to transition to Windows 7 and has assembled a "how-to" kit of instructions for migrating user data from either XP to Win 7, or from Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2008 R2. Redmond's fresh set of recommendations have been reported alongside a heaping spoonful of data on how businesses are "leery" of Windows 7, but despite the hand-wringing, this is business as usual. Every time a new OS or major service pack drops, Microsoft recommends businesses begin adopting it. Every time Microsoft recommends businesses begin migrating to a new OS, we see survey results detailing how most IT managers have no plans to deploy the new version for at least a year (or until the first service pack).

The music of the spheres. Or something.

Miraculously, the gap between Microsoft's recommended timetable and actual IT OS upgrades never actually results in a catastrophe, and this one won't either. Early figures on Windows 7 adoption have been strong, and the trend seems likely to continue. Windows 7, generally speaking, appears to have been seized upon as "Vista, Done Right." That perception may or may not impact the corporate IT upgrade cycle, but businesses that skipped out on upgrading to Vista either due to leeriness or economic difficulties may find themselves in a buying mood over the next 12-18 months. By then, Win 7 will have taken over the market, top-to-bottom—XP may have blocked Vista from total platform dominance, but that's unlikely to happen the second time around.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Tue, Dec 8 2009 8:33 PM

Microsoft urges businesses to move from XP to Vista: http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=64662

Is anyone surprised that a company would urge you to buy their newest product?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,578
Points 103,250
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 9 2009 11:37 AM

Hopefully someone will make all of the XP updates available somewhere on the web for the legions of holdouts that will never trust Vista or Win-7.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Wed, Dec 9 2009 5:07 PM

Realneil,

Does anyone have any justifications for such a viewpoint that don't involve snorting coke, alien conspiracy theories, or second gunmen? Because lets face it--even if there was a reason to "holdout," the vast majority of the group would presumably migrate over to Linux or OS:X.

Sure, Vista had some problems at launch, but if you read the emails Microsoft was forced to release during the Vista Capable lawsuit, it's apparent that a lot of the flak that got kicked up around Vista was actually the result of bad NVIDIA drivers--NV drivers account for 22 percent of *all* the Vista crashes reported in the months after launch.

Vista, to be sure, had other problems--I've got my own solid handful of things I don't like about its GUI and organizational structure even after two years of using it. But "never trust it?"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,094
Points 38,135
acarzt replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:32 AM

Vista sucks.

I mistakedly upgraded from Xp to Vista Ultimate.

And don't try to say I don't know what i'm doing, because I very much so know what i'm doing. Vista just sucks.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 3:03 PM

Acarzt,

Well, then, you won't mind providing specific information on what you think sucks. :P Not that I think it's particularly hard to come up with a list, but if you're going to make a claim, you need to back it up. :P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

People that are all, I hate Vista and win 7 grow up! XP is such an old OS. If you dont want windows then go spend $1200 for a mac or run a Linux build on your computer....

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Fri, Dec 11 2009 10:32 AM

ok XP SP2 is EOLed but not XP SP3 correct? or did I miss something.

businesses will run whatever the hardware will allow to run. ie. if they have old P4's with 512MB of RAM those can't run Win 7 effectively which is why they still have XP. some businesses have a R.U.D. life cycle [Run Until Dead] others have a  3  or 5 year one.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS