Harman Kardon's Clear GLA-55: Most Expensive 2.0 Speakers Ever

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,749
Points 1,210,425
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 7 2009 1:13 PM
What's this? Some arms race to produce the wildest, most alien-approved set of speakers ever? In the same month that JBL issued the third generation of its completely wild Creature speakers, yet another trusted name in sound has stepped forward with a pair of PC speakers that could very well blast off at any moment. Harman Kardon's GLA-55 speakers "merge the latest in art and science," and while the two-piece setup won't deliver pounding bass, it'll certainly provide the basics while upping your style points.

The speakers are housed in clear enclosures and designed to work with PCs, MP3 players and home audio systems (or pretty much any source with an analog output), and they're built around Atlas woofers, CMMD tweeters, DSP processing and touch-sensitive volume controls. You're probably thinking--okay, cool, a 2.0 speaker system that looks good, this can't cost much right? Wrong. Somehow these drivers will cost you $999.99, so unless you have buckets of cash with nothing else to buy, we'd suggest spending your thousand dollars on a more elaborate setup.

Compatible with virtually any audio device with an analog output, (MP3 and CD players, desktop and laptop computers, satellite radio and other home audio systems) the GLA-55 belts out high quality audio while exuding luxury and refinement. From the facets of the bass reflex enclosure and custom copper tubing, to the powerful bass of its Atlas woofers and crystal-clear highs of the CMMD® tweeters, the GLA-55 is an expert in both beauty and sound. The system delivers with a powerfully tuned digital audio path; the clean and compact digital amplification coupled with DSP (digital signal processing) equalization efficiently provides the systems transducers with cool-running power. For added bass response, the subwoofer output allows connection to most standalone subwoofer systems. Touch-sensitive volume controls provides an easy user experience; touch both volume controls simultaneously to mute the audio output and touch again to un-mute. From the chrome base to the fully visible audio engine and port, the clear diamond like design leaves no detail unrefined.

“From inception to final product, Harman’s design and engineering team worked in tandem to create the aesthetics for GLA-55,” said Christopher M. Dragon, director of field marketing for the Harman International. “Our goal was to create a high-end product that not only has stunning sound and visual appeal, but versatility in its use as well. GLA-55 does just that by delivering pure Harman sound while displaying simplicity and class.”

“While in the design lab, the creative minds at Harman Kardon were determined to create an audio system that inspires creativity and beauty along with great sound,” said Kurt Sollund, vice president of industrial design for Harman International. “With its unique design and cut glass motif, we see GLA-55 as a piece of art that will add aesthetic appeal to any surrounding.”

GLA-55 combines many proprietary technologies to provide the highest quality sound featuring:

Atlas AL™ and CMMD™ Transducers – The CMMD drivers provide accurate high frequencies while capable of low frequency extension to four octaves compared with traditional powered tweeters. The Atlas AL driver is capable of nearly 1” peak-to-peak travel for tight, accurate bass reproduction. This desktop pairing provides a full rich frequency response from the lowest bass to highest highs.

Slipstream Port Design – The GLA-55 port minimizes boundary layer separation providing high output bass with low distortion, for all to see and hear.

COE (Computer Optimized Equalization) – The GLA-55 system equalization is computer optimized to provide a rich, complete sound stage over a wide range of listening positions.

OCT (Optimized Compression Topology) – The GLA-55 utilizes a proprietary compression technology to insure clean accurate sound at high output levels.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, Dec 7 2009 2:34 PM

Wow, someone had to have made a typo somewhere! $1,000 for a set of 2.1 speakers?!?! You can buy a decent 7.1ch Home theater in a box system for that kind of cash!!!

I can't imagine anyone would buy these! Except maybe some outrageously rich folks with spoiled kids who get everything they want, regardless of how pointless it is lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Not even a 2.1 setup. It's just a front left and right speaker no sub (2.0). When the title said most expensive 2.0 setup I was thinking alright so there is an oustanding set someone came out with for like $250 or something. I mean if the speakers sounded that great I could see shelling out that much for them but $1,000. I can't see anyone in there right mind buying them. I can get a decent mid range Home theater set with receiver for that much. And could they pick a better time with our economy to come up with something like this. Someone is gonna loose their job over this. There has got to be more to it. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator

News:
to the powerful bass of its Atlas woofers and crystal-clear highs of the CMMD® tweeters

"Crystal-clear highs"...get it?Big Smile For a thousand buck$ those crystal enclosures should at least be made by Waterford or Tiffany. We're still trying to recover from a recession here, folks!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,692
Points 55,940
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Dec 7 2009 9:47 PM

For $1K I think "Tiffany" should come with the speakers, at least for a weekend or something.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Agreed! The sad thing is that there's at least one idiot out there who'll buy these speakers. I don't care how nice these two speakers are, a $500 7.1 system will blow these out of the water.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Ahhh, gotcha! These come with free home installation, eh? Wink

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator

gibbersome:
The sad thing is that there's at least one idiot out there who'll buy these speakers

Perhaps a buck$-up Apple technosnootie!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 4,740

1000.00 dollars for these?  Seriously?  I am flat out of things to say without reducing myself to vulgarities.

I agree with above 1000.00 can get you alot more then these little gems.  Examples from Axiom and Paradigm come to mind, but in that price range I could get full range floorstanding speakers such as the M50 V2's from Axiom running about 850.00CAD, so enough money left over to get a good stereo (2 channel receiver) as well. (as found here: http://www.axiomaudio.com/m50.html)  These in my mind are better looking as well.

As I said Paradigm also comes to mind so lets look at what they offer in that price range: The Monitor 9's for around $750.00 /pr (as found here:http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/speaker_only-specification-18-1-2-4.paradigm)
Now I have had these in my listening room and they are incredible! Under priced is what I tend to think about them.  I won't go into a huge review on them, I could but its easier for those interested to simply go out and audition them.  They will not let you down.  Just for arguments sake here's what they look like:

So yeah for 1000.00 my money is NOT gonna go on some little plastic things with what looks like modified headphone drivers in funny looking angular plastic containers.

AMD 955BE - GIGABYTE 970A US3 - 16GB Patriot DDR3 - ATI 5870 eyefinity - SB XFi>JVC A-X9>JBL Control Monitor 4312A/pioneer HPM100

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator

A grand for these is a friggin' joke.

Even Klipsch sells speakers that will put these things to shame and they're 389.00 a Pair! I'm speaking of the Klipsch Reference Series RB-51

Klipsch Reference Series RB-51

Lots of good technology within these truly high end boxes. and they'll fit into a small space too. The cabinets are solid wood construction and will finally satisfy your cravings for Black Ash! So,.....$389.00 for the speakers and a little bit more for a nice desktop sized amp, and you're way, way ahead of the game using their own speakers to blow their wazoo yuppie crystals right out of the water.

Klipsch makes some seriously nice home stereo speakers, I know. My little brother has 4 Of these Klipschorns in his large living room. The sound is truly remarkable.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

realneil:
wazoo yuppie

You forgot pretentious. :)

For a grand I could probably put together an entire HTPC complete with a monitor AND some better speakers! lol

Not Ranked
Posts 87
Points 915
wil2200 replied on Wed, Dec 9 2009 9:22 PM

hk can bite my reflective behind

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Wed, Dec 9 2009 9:50 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-GLA-55-2-0-Powered-Loudspeaker/product-reviews/B001GXQNWO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Someone bought them *face palm*

They left a review.

Apparantly they state harman kardon claims they put out bass comparable to a 18" subwoofer....

Ok... my Dad happens to have a pair of 18" subwoofers in the garage... and these little speakers at 56watt a pop are not going to compare. The dude is all claiming they shake the house...

He should have a seat in my car while I crank my 600Watt RMS Alpine Type R 12" sub to the max... then he will know what bass is. It's overwhelming beleive me! lol

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator

Maybe it's a phony review!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS