OC'd MSI Radeon HD 5870 Shatters Single-GPU 3DMark Record

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,852
Points 1,115,085
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 6 2009 4:25 PM
MSI cards are no stranger to being at the top of the heap when it comes to breaking FPS records, and yet again the company is bragging about one of its own shattering the mold. The R5870-PM2D1G (not surprisingly based around AMD's Radeon HD 5870, a GPU that we adore) has just been used to create the new highest 3DMark Vantage P-Score of 24416, which is of course a high for a single GPU card. The award-winning user? Famed overclocked "Deanzo" from the great nation of New Zealand, who used MSI's own Afterburner OC'ing software to push the card to its stable limited.

You might have guessed that LN2 was used to keep it cool, and you'd be right. The card was cooled to -180?, enabling the clock speed to reach 1380MHz and the record to be shattered. It's only a matter of time before the next best GPU comes along and knocks even this number into 2nd place, but for now, we're sure Deanzo is celebrating and enjoying the victory. And celebrate he should.

Through MSI Afterburner overclocking software, the over-voltage function can highly boost the graphics card overclocking capability and provide extreme performance. From the result shown on hwbot.org: http://hwbot.org/compare.do?resultId=926281, GPU clock of MSI R5870-PM2D1G is 62.4% higher than standard ATI Radeon HD 5870.

MSI Afterburner fully supports GPU/Shader/Memory clock adjustment of NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards. Moreover, users can easily change voltage and clock and customize fan speed to enjoy the pleasure of overclocking and high performance. Free to download MSI Afterburner and experience extraordinary overclocking potential on MSI graphics cards.

For more information about Afteruburner, please visit:
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/

For more information about MSI R5870-PM2D1G, please visit:
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&prod_no=1908

For more information about Deanzo’s overclocking report, please visit:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3038/kingpin_cooling_single_gpu_competition_with_ln2_by_deanzo/index3.html
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

WOOOT!!

It's time like these I realize how big a dork I am...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

I would like to see some of this guy bios settings on all of his ocing history.Would be a very interestind read. Thats incrediable on a MSI or any board! Just makes me want to run out and get Radeon and a MSI just to play with, dont know about the LN2 but its all good!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,423
Points 102,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 7 2009 12:08 PM

Too bad that it's so hard to FIND these new ATI cards to buy.

It's a shame that ATI can't capitalize on the fact that their cards are so advanced and friggin' fast when they need to. NVIDIA is probably waiting in the wings, giggling and snickering at ATI's lack of production facilities/capabilities, and planning the introduction of something better that we will want instead.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

I think it's all the rush to buy that's causing the shortages. There are at least six associates that produce the cards, and I'm sure they're happy as pigs in mud that the retailers are lining up at their doors eager for anything coming out of the loading bays.

What I want to know is, though: These overclockers, what do they run at home? Probably a hot processor (975 I'd guess) and overclocked with the utmost in water cooling; but do they ever sit back, sigh, and mutter "This rig seems so pokey."

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

1380 Core - good grief.  I'll just take a 5870 at stock please.  But I would like some LN too, just for fun.

Hello

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Thank you very much for posting this article. Its a very useful article. We will be acquire lot of things from this site.So i want custom logo design some information about this post.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS