Samsung To Offer 1 Gigabit XDR DRAM

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,851
Points 1,115,035
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2009 3:22 PM
According to Rambus, Samsung Electronics plans to offer a 1 Gigabit XDR DRAM memory device. As a result of this development, Rambus' technology may finally start to see more widespread availability. The XDR memory architecture is interesting because it achieves performance that is higher than would be attainable by current mainstream memory modules.

"Samsung's market leadership means system manufacturers can be assured of a reliable supply of our XDR DRAM," said Sharon Holt, senior vice president of Licensing and Marketing at Rambus. "With XDR memory's world-leading bandwidth performance, designers can meet their system requirements with fewer devices and greater power efficiency."

Rambus' memory offers excellent bandwidth and operates on less power while still meeting the demands of gaming, computing and consumer electronics applications. So far, only a 1Gb XDR DRAM module has been announced. However, it's possible Samsung could consider manufacturing other models as well.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 7:26 PM

can't wait to see some products and some numbers!

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 8:37 PM

I'm not sure this is really great news. I hate to see Rambus profit after the garbage they pulled with JEDEC (getting their patented tech included in the standard).

Of course, I hold grudges longer than the average elephant.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,038
Points 11,350
Joel H replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 9:56 PM

I'm hard-pressed to think of a way in which this could actually come to market in a mainstream-sorta way. It's been ten years since Intel tried to cajole/push/coerce the Dramurai into manufacturing RDRAM and turning it into the next-generation solution for the P4 and then-future products.

Who comes out the bad guy and who the good guy depends entirely on who you believe, but there were legitimate technological and economic factors that made it difficult for RDRAM to find its footing. Some of these may have been addressed in the time since then, but manufacturing XDR instead of DDR3 would presumably still require new equipment, different module testing hardware, new chipsets, new integrated memory controllers, etc, etc.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:16 PM

>> Who comes out the bad guy and who the good guy depends entirely on who you believe

True. But, no "standard" should be encumbered by patents, much less "designed to only work if using patented technology". My impression, from what I know (though I do *not* claim to know it all), is that Rambus acted in bad faith and that they should therefore be ostracized.... that their patents should be avoided and leapfrogged.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 53,895
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 11:13 PM

Agreed, there is too much inertia behind current standards. Intel learned this with RDRAM and likely wouldn't go down that path again. And if Intel isn't going there, frankly rest of the market will only go there in niche areas at best.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,423
Points 102,070
MembershipAdministrator

The reason that their technology didn't take off years ago is because they wanted way too much for licencing fees. The gouge was on and Taiwan wasn't playing that tune. So they went down another path and we ended up with DDR and so on. Their own greed kept them from being a big player in the marketplace. Rambus RAM was faster and very reliable but it was frighteningly expensive to buy. I just worked on a system with that stuff in it and it's so old it's 'growing hair' on it. But it still works well.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
darel60 replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:35 AM

Hi.

Hey its really good, Thanks for sharing this update with us.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 12:51 AM

lol... oh boy... We always seem to get an abundance of these kind of comments when the contests roll around lol

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 1:06 AM

Yes we do, there's always spam and bump post, there's a complaint thread in feed backs xD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:26 AM

Oh yeah Realneil Rambus was a total bugger . The component ram was actually really good especially compared to the current EDO of the time. There was just several hoops to jump through and the price was exorbitant.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS