ASUS Xtreme Design contest: stage 2 build Ragafoo

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
Ragafoo Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:12 AM

Hey guys, As Stage II begins i will be linking posts to my blog about the un-boxing and first implementing stages of my design. Stay tuned for more info. 

http://ragafoo.blogspot.com/

Here is the initial design for For the Asus Xtreme Design contest.

List of componenets

The idea behind this design is moving the components of the computer beyond the The case. That little window on the side of the case will not be the view that people get of these components. PC builder enthusiasts know that many of the components they get are an engineering marvels and also a work of art. Remember the feeling of unwrapping your first high end graphics card or Cpu cooler and just looking at? Why not display these items without the limitations of the case? That is the framework of this design. To show people that the intricate matrix of computer components is art and engineering masterpiece.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
Ragafoo replied on Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:12 AM

The items have arrived!

Thanks Asus!

http://www.vimeo.com/7881819

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
Ragafoo replied on Mon, Nov 30 2009 4:48 PM

Asus Xtreme design (work log)

Okay back from the break, my cold is under control. Now lets do this! The first part of this design requires a mounting plate that the mother board will mounted on one side and the other side will have cable wire to hang it to the wall. I choose The hanging method after a few design iterations. I decided it was best to hang the mother board plate because:

1. I'm always finicking with things on my mother board
2. One of my main goals is portability, this needs be easily transferable to any wall as i move.
3. There is a plethora of mounting options for hanging type art.

The mounting plate for the motherboard will be made of (26g) 7075 aluminum. It will consist of 2 13.6" x 16" panels, with aluminum c pipping sandwiched between

This is basically a large aluminum heat sink, that will serve as the back bone of the design, I left room around the motherboard(in green pictured above) to

mount the Plexiglas/Acrylic shield that will cover the motherboard later on.

Check back for updates during the build of this component
Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
Ragafoo replied on Tue, Dec 8 2009 10:15 PM

Okay its mock up and fabrication time! my aluminum plates are ready to be cut. Ill be cutting them with a multi-functional power tool (DuoPlus I see you got one too! It really is awesome).

The aluminum c piping i was going to use came out to be too thick for my rivets so i'm switching to 1/16 aluminum angle piping. Basically a V instead of a C. This will allow to keep my wafer heat sink design and actually lighten it up quite a bit. So i'm happy about the change.

Here are some picks of the mock up, ill be cutting soon trying to get a really clean edge.

Once the the back plate phase is done ill be moving into making the wall mounting brackets for the power supply and hard drive. Also what i'm calling the boot box which will hole the power and reset button along with the multi-card reader/usb port hub.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
Ragafoo replied on Tue, Dec 8 2009 10:18 PM

I have been comparing specs between The asus Xtreme gear and my original Rig and the difference is night and day!

A little background on my original rig first. I built it back in 2006. and its main specs were:
-Asus m2n32 SLI Deluxe motherboard (so sad the day it died)
-Geforce 7900 GTX (again also sad the day this died)
-AMD 6400 x2 4200+
- some crappy DDR2 memory
- ultra X 600w power supply
- X-Dreamer Case

I have to say the crowning jewel was the Motherboard which if it had not died (Thunder storm :( ) it would be running Amd's latest and greatest 4 years later. It had wireless capabilities, eSATA which was cool back then. Stack Cool, and SLI capability which was always a desire of mine.

Over the years i have been up grading this system, and as of today its specs are:

-Asus M4N82 Deluxe
-Phenom II X4 965 125w
- 2 X 8800gt SLI (Asus & Evga)
- Corsair 750w PSU
- 4 gigs GSkill DDR2 memory
all still wrapped up in that once thought 'large' X-Dreamer mid tower case

When i compare this rig To the new i7 machine its down right painful. Here i am with AMD's latest and greatest 125w revised 965 and it cant hold a candle to the i7 system. Not in terms of raw speed or temps. It really is that much better and quieter.

AMD phenom II X4 965 System

Intel core i7 860 system

AMD phenom II X4 965 System

(lol thats with 2 8800gt's that idle at Lava°c)

Intel core i7 860 system

Cant wait till I overclock both systems and test them again.

Again Thankyou Asus and all the other sponsors very much!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
Ragafoo replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 8:08 PM

So today i finished the motherboard back plate, overall I have to say I am pretty happy with the outcome. I have a few more things to add; the hanging bracket and the bordering around the edge, also black rivet caps and some polishing.

Here are the pictures of the fabrication process, from start to end taken over the past weeks.

Please if you have any comments or recommendations please leave some i wouldd like to know you guys think.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS