FLO TV Personal Television Ships For $250 + Monthly Fees: Any Takers?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 16 2009 4:10 PM
Mobile TV has had a tough go at it in America. A few of the majorcarriers offer TV services on select smartphones, but the $10+ permonth charge usually turns people off. Amazingly, far smaller of afight has been put up for the insane rates carriers charge for texting,but we suppose that's the true measure of supply in this whole "supplyand demand" thing that our 5th grade teacher attempted to explain to us.

Today, the FLO TV Personal Television is hitting retail stores and websites, though only time will tell how the reaction is. This device is aniche device if there ever were one, as it not only does mobile TValone, but it's a completely separate device from your phone. In otherwords, users who want to watch TV on the go through this will have tolug it around in addition to their phone, laptop, etc.

The device itself--which we detailed here--will sell for $249.99, andat least through the holiday season, that price will include 6 monthsof free TV service. After that, you'll have to pay $8.99 per month ormore for continued service, and that low price requires a 3-yearcontract to the service. We suspect we already know the answer, butwould you be interested in buying into something such as this?

FLO TV Personal Television is the first portable digital television to offer all these features in one package:

• Dedicated portable television. Measuring3 inches by 4.4 inches by 0.5 inches and weighing just over 5 ounces,FLO TV Personal Television is small enough to fit in your pocket whilesporting a screen large enough to enjoy a complete televisionexperience.
  • Live mobile TV from America's best content providers. FLOTV offers full-length simulcast and time-shifted programming from theworld's best entertainment brands, including Adult Swim Mobile, CBSMobile, CNBC, COMEDY CENTRAL, FOX News Channel, MSNBC, MTV, NBC 2Go andNickelodeon. FLO TV also offers limited-time bonus channels for specialevents, premium programs and original content.
  • A dedicated, nationally available mobile television network. The FLO TVservice is available through a dedicated multicast network so millionsof consumers can simultaneously get amazingly high-quality video andaudio in real time without streaming, buffering or downloads.
  • A capacitive touch-screen.Users control the device with intuitive swipe gestures. The oleophobicglass lens keeps the 3.5-inch QVGA display crisp and clear.
  • Long battery life.With more than five hours of viewing time and 300 hours on standby, theFLO TV Personal Television can be used for extended viewing or on longtrips.
  • An easy to share experience. With a large screen,built-in adjustable viewing stand and integrated stereo speakers, FLOTV Personal Television can entertain you whenever you want and whereveryou are. FLO TV Personal Television is a dedicated device so it's easyto share with family and friends.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

I think realneil pointed this little tidbit out:

"Service not available everywhere. All programming subject to change and blackout restrictions."

Errr...since this seems most appealing on long train/bus rides, poor coverage might kill this device. How does it receive it's signal?

Anyway, you're looking at $250 for the device and $324 over the next 3 years in subscription costs.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
BenB replied on Tue, Nov 17 2009 11:33 AM

actually... it would be 3 years of subscription- the free 6 months of service. So the proper way to view it would be closer to 249.99 for the unit and 269.70 for the 3 years of service. It would most likely utilize a national carrier 3g network similiar to Amazons e-book reader. Now considering that a comparable service through cell phone carriers are at least that much then the 8.99 a month doesn't hurt so much.  (edited after i discovered flaw in my own logic)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:31 PM

So I can buy this peice of... hardware... And pay $9 a month to use it... Or I can buy a netbook, laptop, Desktop, Xbox 360, or PS3 and pay Netflix $9 a month to use any of those. Hmmm Gonna have to pass on that one...

*edit*

ON TOP OF THAT!! Plenty of phone companies already of TV on your cell phone. Well at least I know AT&T does, I thought it was a waste of money back then too.

People who love have a ton of gadgets will get this. But most people like to have 1 all inclusive peice of hardware.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS