Motorola's DROID, Tested and Burned In

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,365
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:34 AM
Verizon's DROID from Motorola finally goes on sale today & offers many things the iPhone just can't, like taking pictures in low light settings, a hardware keyboard, running simultaneous applications, a 5-megapixel camera, interchangeable batteries, and open development for the platform. The features are there but are they enough to convince users to switch?

We take a deep-dive look at Motorola's HOT new DROID smartphone:
http://hothardware.com/Articles/Motorola-DROID-Review/

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:41 AM

I'd love to have one of these but Sprint has the only decent service in my area so far and they know it. They treat people like little children here and basically do what they want to because they are the only game in town. If there ever IS a viable alternative, I'll drop them like the scurvy dogs they are.

This phone looks like it's gonna be a hit.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
Jeremy replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:21 AM

Tough to believe this review is entirely impartial while it's surrounded on multiple sides by paid advertising for the device, including spots where there normally aren't ads. Motorola's really putting a big push behind this, aren't they?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635

I think the interesting thing to note is if this phone or any other new Verizon phones take off will Verizon's great network begin to suffer? I mean AT&T's network really wasn't that bad before iPhone. Verizon has the best network because they lock down their phones or chage you extra for everything keeping the network safe.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

I'm not surprised. Verizon's decision to pass on the Iphone, while smart at the time, has robbed the consumer of a great partnership.

About time they delivered their Iphone killer, lol.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,586
Points 54,885
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:43 PM

Jeremy,

Your question is fair. The ad campaign that Verizon actually had running here that day is now done but I can see your concern with respect to objectivity. That's a natural concern but it's honestly not much different than a commercial you might hear on the radio, see on TV or read in a magazine or newspaper. Granted, we're offering product evaluations here and it's more a kin to reading something like say Car and Driver and seeing a Ford ad on the pages of the magazine. The fact of the matter is, advertising pays the bills here. It keeps the lights on and keeps people employed doing the work they do.

That said, HotHardware.com has been on the internet for 10 years+ now. It's safe to say we wouldn't be in business very long if we allowed advertising dollars to affect our objectivity in any product evaluation. If you take time to read Jen's article, you'll see where she points out the high points and low points of the product. Ultimately she was impressed. Beyond that, you'll have to be the judge as to whether you think our evaluation here was fair and unbiased.

I can assure you though, we're keenly focused on ensuring proper "separation of church and state", as they say in the industry.

Thanks,

Dave Altavilla

Editor In Chief

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:30 AM

...pending.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 5:47 PM

I will be upgrading all 3 users on my family share Verizon account as upgrades become available to a Droid I am thinking. I have also thought of flipping to Sprint for a palm, but I like the droid better. There also does not seem to be much price difference when you have 3 phones on sprint. It is 10 bucks a phone basically on Verizon, where Sprint the first 2 phones are discounted heavily, then the third phone is full price which makes no sense (and is more expensive). Either way I refuse to use At&t because of some past experiences and of course there wonderful coverage.

One more thing I of course like this phone in all aspects, hopefully prices will drop to (the first available upgrade is in December, but the other 2 are in April and May), so the price should drop. I also from what I understand see one other very positive point the I-phone does not update from what I understand they force you to upgrade to a new phone. While as hardware functionality may wear out with a android phone it is open source. So updates and changes software wise will be by default. That will even be true if Verizon and Google/Motorola don't want it done. I think it will be jail broken before it is ever implemented from there side.               

I consider that a major positive because I am a Mischievous bastage.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

eunoia:

Try to find somewhere they didn't advertise, I read they even placed an ad on google.com.

They did. Everyone seemed to be up in arms about it.

Look's like a cool phone. I still wanna wait a bit longer and let the phone field calm down some before I decide on a new phone. Been without one since my AT&T contract ran out a few months ago. I honestly don't miss having a phone one bit.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Nov 13 2009 9:21 AM

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:57 AM

That XKCD comic is pure win..

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
Rocci replied on Tue, Dec 22 2009 10:12 AM

Thats cool but here is the GSM version MILESTONE I refuse to become a CDMA user just for a phone.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 4:41 PM

Rocci what is your aversion to CDMA especially over GSM between Verizon sprint and At&t at least in the USA the CDMA network for Verizon and Sprint is considerably larger especially since Verizon bought Alltel Wireless.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 4:43 PM

The technology level is also above the GSM services in the US where generally CDMA is actively moving to 4G where GSM is still moving to second stage 3G.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Yeah, but the big advantage for GSM phones is pop in your SIM card and you're good to go. No activation etc necessary. Also GSM phones are more convenient for international travelers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:56 AM

yeah GSM pop in the sim card CDMA save it to the memory card throw your memory card in another CDMA phone and you off to go takes about 15 seconds to do, and I have done it several times for me and mine. All you get with a sim card anyways is a saved schedule or calendar and phone numbers. I save those to my mem cards anyway so if the phone ever goes out I don't loose anything. I have done it on at least 6 different CDMA phones  and I have 1-16GB of memory versus a dinky sim card.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Hmmm...I didn't know that. So would you be able to take a Sprint phone and use it on the Verizon network?

Do you suppose CDMA is one reason Apple has shied away from Verizon?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:13 PM

well hardware wise CDMA phone seem to be more functional to me, although network wise I believe it gives the carrier more control which can be good and bad. I still have about 2 months b4 I can upgrade so I am watching the phones eagerly. Also on the sprint verizon thing as well as the at&t and there partners the way it works is similar carriers (GMA & CDMA) will often work and or use towers between them. So as far as I see it though it  is not exclusively every tower but it greatly expands there reach. With Verizon/Sprint specifically I imagine it applies most directly to there original network. You cannot forget that Verizon and Sprint lesser so have taken over smaller providers like the Verizon Alltel mobile thing. So I would imagine when the network was taken over etc rules inn this thing. All towers in place at the time of the legal agreement being reached would be valid, those that came after may or may not be. Either way CDMA coverage in the US is considerably large by almost 3 times that of GMA coverage under At&t which is why they have the issues with connections in big cities because the user matket especially on something like the iPhone floods there network on the tech it uses (G3 specifically in this case) therefore calls and such are dropped when in the 3G part of the usage pyramid for the carrier.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 2:20 AM

well yes and no it is automatic from what I understand. they just use each others tower when the other is available and theirs is not.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

rapid1:

well yes and no it is automatic from what I understand. they just use each others tower when the other is available and theirs is not.

So Verizon and Sprint share towers like AT&T and T-Mobile. I've read the CDMA towers offers slightly better voice quality and a slightly larger range. Since CDMA and GSM phones require their own towers, it seems like such a waste of resources to have twice the number of towers covering the same areas...

The global trend is towards GSM towers; however, in the US CDMA towers is the predominant technology as you mentioned. I can't recall any GSM carriers besides AT&T and T-Mobile, while I know that Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, CricKet, Metro PCS, RCC (now Verizon), Alltell (now Verizon), SureWest (now Verizon), etc....noticing a trend?

No wonder the Verizon network is a lot stronger than AT&T's!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 4:01 PM

Yeah the Alltel mobile buyout was actually one of there best I think. Alltel wireless had a very large network where many others had no coverage, and or they had been the primary carrier in those areas so long the people just flipped predominately. It ius also the reason for the 10 list because that was Alltels biggest distinguishing offer when they were bought.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 4:48 PM

Hey realneil I thought Sprint had the Droid Eris I know they have the Touch pro 2. It may not be a Droid, but from what I have heard it is comparable. The Eris on the other hand does not have the pull out keyboard. However, from what I've heard the on screen keyboard is the best anyway, and I know from several comparison test it has a more exact screen (alignment wise etc) to.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ladyleahp replied on Tue, Oct 12 2010 3:23 PM

Droid smartfone is much more qualitative, I have lot of arguments, because 1 week ago i wrote the college essay on it's benefits!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 13 2010 9:35 AM

rapid1:
Hey realneil I thought Sprint had the Droid Eris I know they have the Touch pro 2.

It doesn't matter what they have to offer. My point is that Sprint is the ONLY carrier around with decent reception in this area. As such, if you buy a plan from them in THIS area, they have the price jacked way up because of their captive audience. They charge more for data, texting, and regular service too. I went out of plan with them over a year ago and I'm now on a month to month basis with them. I'd prefer to keep it that way until someone else arrives on the scene and I can drop them. I'd love to drop them, but there is no alternative yet.

Sprint SUX.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Oct 13 2010 9:58 AM

I believe it, but I thought they had the $69.99 all access account option nationwide? As far as Sprint sucking I agree because they misrepresented there coverage to me, and then refused to give me a household signal carrier (without me paying them another $99.00 anyway for it). There map was represented as being 4G/Wimax at my house which it is a 1/2 mile up the street in either direction. However; at my house it is non-existent coverage. Plus al we use at my house is cellular phones so no coverage at home good bye carrier. I went back to Verizon, and am now on a open contract. At least Verizon is supposed to have there true 4g (LTE) coverage here very soon. So maybe I will upgrade to one of there smart phones. There equipment market is supposed to be receiving a large refresh in late November early December which may even include the iPhone 4. I personally refuse to use an iPhone, but it does expand there market so hopefully it will also forbear some better data rates as well which is rumored. I don't mind the tiered data set up as it is generally cheaper as long as you don't go very high which will be where I will use as I have wireless at home so I can grab my data that way instead of through the 4G connection which would only be used for communication transmission rather in phone calls or app usage.

I will say one thing though for sure it sucks you only have 1 choice realneil. I live North of Atlanta about 20-25 minutes we have coverage with all large providers as well as most second tier cellular providers here. I will say one other thing about Sprint I drove all over the Southern and SW USA and was actually surprised ta Sprints coverage. I bought the phone in Illinois (Lower farm;and area of the state then drove to Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, and California) I dropped maybe 4-6 calls total over about 3 weeks. So with there pricing if they would have covered my house I would have actually kept them. They are the cheapest full provider nationwide when you get all services (IE: Voice, Data, Messaging) by far. If I had those services on Verizon data alone would add 30 per phone monthly, and texting another 10 on top of my standard service, and At&t is worse or the same with less coverage nationwide. I really wish we had the all carriers option like Europe does, but here's to wishes right.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 13 2010 10:38 AM

rapid1:
I thought they had the $69.99 all access account option nationwide?

There's a cap on calling other phones (land lines) with that account, (450 minutes only)

True unlimited costs $99.00 in my neck of the woods. That's a rip off. (don't forget to add all of the extra taxes and charges to the total too)

Think about something for a moment, The cell phone industry is making totally unheard of profits every year. They earn more and more every year too. I recently read an article here on HotHardware.com about those profits, but I can't remember the actual figures. It was in the Hundreds of Billions of dollars every year.

Many Hundreds Of Billions Of Dollars Profits Per Year!

They're in a business that has low overhead and huge profits and they could, if they had any decency at all, give us unlimited everything for $30.00 per month and still make a crapload of profit.

It will never happen though. They'll fight it tooth and nail first.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,365
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:34 AM
Verizon's DROID from Motorola finally goes on sale today & offers many things the iPhone just can't, like taking pictures in low light settings, a hardware keyboard, running simultaneous applications, a 5-megapixel camera, interchangeable batteries, and open development for the platform. The features are there but are they enough to convince users to switch?

We take a deep-dive look at Motorola's HOT new DROID smartphone:
http://hothardware.com/Articles/Motorola-DROID-Review/

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:41 AM

I'd love to have one of these but Sprint has the only decent service in my area so far and they know it. They treat people like little children here and basically do what they want to because they are the only game in town. If there ever IS a viable alternative, I'll drop them like the scurvy dogs they are.

This phone looks like it's gonna be a hit.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
Jeremy replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:21 AM

Tough to believe this review is entirely impartial while it's surrounded on multiple sides by paid advertising for the device, including spots where there normally aren't ads. Motorola's really putting a big push behind this, aren't they?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635

I think the interesting thing to note is if this phone or any other new Verizon phones take off will Verizon's great network begin to suffer? I mean AT&T's network really wasn't that bad before iPhone. Verizon has the best network because they lock down their phones or chage you extra for everything keeping the network safe.

• Filed under:
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

I'm not surprised. Verizon's decision to pass on the Iphone, while smart at the time, has robbed the consumer of a great partnership.

About time they delivered their Iphone killer, lol.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,586
Points 54,885
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:43 PM

Jeremy,

Your question is fair. The ad campaign that Verizon actually had running here that day is now done but I can see your concern with respect to objectivity. That's a natural concern but it's honestly not much different than a commercial you might hear on the radio, see on TV or read in a magazine or newspaper. Granted, we're offering product evaluations here and it's more a kin to reading something like say Car and Driver and seeing a Ford ad on the pages of the magazine. The fact of the matter is, advertising pays the bills here. It keeps the lights on and keeps people employed doing the work they do.

That said, HotHardware.com has been on the internet for 10 years+ now. It's safe to say we wouldn't be in business very long if we allowed advertising dollars to affect our objectivity in any product evaluation. If you take time to read Jen's article, you'll see where she points out the high points and low points of the product. Ultimately she was impressed. Beyond that, you'll have to be the judge as to whether you think our evaluation here was fair and unbiased.

I can assure you though, we're keenly focused on ensuring proper "separation of church and state", as they say in the industry.

Thanks,

Dave Altavilla

Editor In Chief

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:30 AM

...pending.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 5:47 PM

I will be upgrading all 3 users on my family share Verizon account as upgrades become available to a Droid I am thinking. I have also thought of flipping to Sprint for a palm, but I like the droid better. There also does not seem to be much price difference when you have 3 phones on sprint. It is 10 bucks a phone basically on Verizon, where Sprint the first 2 phones are discounted heavily, then the third phone is full price which makes no sense (and is more expensive). Either way I refuse to use At&t because of some past experiences and of course there wonderful coverage.

One more thing I of course like this phone in all aspects, hopefully prices will drop to (the first available upgrade is in December, but the other 2 are in April and May), so the price should drop. I also from what I understand see one other very positive point the I-phone does not update from what I understand they force you to upgrade to a new phone. While as hardware functionality may wear out with a android phone it is open source. So updates and changes software wise will be by default. That will even be true if Verizon and Google/Motorola don't want it done. I think it will be jail broken before it is ever implemented from there side.               

I consider that a major positive because I am a Mischievous bastage.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

eunoia:

Try to find somewhere they didn't advertise, I read they even placed an ad on google.com.

They did. Everyone seemed to be up in arms about it.

Look's like a cool phone. I still wanna wait a bit longer and let the phone field calm down some before I decide on a new phone. Been without one since my AT&T contract ran out a few months ago. I honestly don't miss having a phone one bit.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Nov 13 2009 9:21 AM

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:57 AM

That XKCD comic is pure win..

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
Rocci replied on Tue, Dec 22 2009 10:12 AM

Thats cool but here is the GSM version MILESTONE I refuse to become a CDMA user just for a phone.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 4:41 PM

Rocci what is your aversion to CDMA especially over GSM between Verizon sprint and At&t at least in the USA the CDMA network for Verizon and Sprint is considerably larger especially since Verizon bought Alltel Wireless.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 4:43 PM

The technology level is also above the GSM services in the US where generally CDMA is actively moving to 4G where GSM is still moving to second stage 3G.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Yeah, but the big advantage for GSM phones is pop in your SIM card and you're good to go. No activation etc necessary. Also GSM phones are more convenient for international travelers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:56 AM

yeah GSM pop in the sim card CDMA save it to the memory card throw your memory card in another CDMA phone and you off to go takes about 15 seconds to do, and I have done it several times for me and mine. All you get with a sim card anyways is a saved schedule or calendar and phone numbers. I save those to my mem cards anyway so if the phone ever goes out I don't loose anything. I have done it on at least 6 different CDMA phones  and I have 1-16GB of memory versus a dinky sim card.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Hmmm...I didn't know that. So would you be able to take a Sprint phone and use it on the Verizon network?

Do you suppose CDMA is one reason Apple has shied away from Verizon?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:13 PM

well hardware wise CDMA phone seem to be more functional to me, although network wise I believe it gives the carrier more control which can be good and bad. I still have about 2 months b4 I can upgrade so I am watching the phones eagerly. Also on the sprint verizon thing as well as the at&t and there partners the way it works is similar carriers (GMA & CDMA) will often work and or use towers between them. So as far as I see it though it  is not exclusively every tower but it greatly expands there reach. With Verizon/Sprint specifically I imagine it applies most directly to there original network. You cannot forget that Verizon and Sprint lesser so have taken over smaller providers like the Verizon Alltel mobile thing. So I would imagine when the network was taken over etc rules inn this thing. All towers in place at the time of the legal agreement being reached would be valid, those that came after may or may not be. Either way CDMA coverage in the US is considerably large by almost 3 times that of GMA coverage under At&t which is why they have the issues with connections in big cities because the user matket especially on something like the iPhone floods there network on the tech it uses (G3 specifically in this case) therefore calls and such are dropped when in the 3G part of the usage pyramid for the carrier.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 2:20 AM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

rapid1:

So Verizon and Sprint share towers like AT&T and T-Mobile. I've read the CDMA towers offers slightly better voice quality and a slightly larger range. Since CDMA and GSM phones require their own towers, it seems like such a waste of resources to have twice the number of towers covering the same areas...

The global trend is towards GSM towers; however, in the US CDMA towers is the predominant technology as you mentioned. I can't recall any GSM carriers besides AT&T and T-Mobile, while I know that Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, CricKet, Metro PCS, RCC (now Verizon), Alltell (now Verizon), SureWest (now Verizon), etc....noticing a trend?

No wonder the Verizon network is a lot stronger than AT&T's!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 4:01 PM

Yeah the Alltel mobile buyout was actually one of there best I think. Alltel wireless had a very large network where many others had no coverage, and or they had been the primary carrier in those areas so long the people just flipped predominately. It ius also the reason for the 10 list because that was Alltels biggest distinguishing offer when they were bought.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 4:48 PM

Hey realneil I thought Sprint had the Droid Eris I know they have the Touch pro 2. It may not be a Droid, but from what I have heard it is comparable. The Eris on the other hand does not have the pull out keyboard. However, from what I've heard the on screen keyboard is the best anyway, and I know from several comparison test it has a more exact screen (alignment wise etc) to.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ladyleahp replied on Tue, Oct 12 2010 3:23 PM

Droid smartfone is much more qualitative, I have lot of arguments, because 1 week ago i wrote the college essay on it's benefits!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 13 2010 9:35 AM

rapid1:
Hey realneil I thought Sprint had the Droid Eris I know they have the Touch pro 2.

It doesn't matter what they have to offer. My point is that Sprint is the ONLY carrier around with decent reception in this area. As such, if you buy a plan from them in THIS area, they have the price jacked way up because of their captive audience. They charge more for data, texting, and regular service too. I went out of plan with them over a year ago and I'm now on a month to month basis with them. I'd prefer to keep it that way until someone else arrives on the scene and I can drop them. I'd love to drop them, but there is no alternative yet.

Sprint SUX.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Oct 13 2010 9:58 AM

I believe it, but I thought they had the $69.99 all access account option nationwide? As far as Sprint sucking I agree because they misrepresented there coverage to me, and then refused to give me a household signal carrier (without me paying them another $99.00 anyway for it). There map was represented as being 4G/Wimax at my house which it is a 1/2 mile up the street in either direction. However; at my house it is non-existent coverage. Plus al we use at my house is cellular phones so no coverage at home good bye carrier. I went back to Verizon, and am now on a open contract. At least Verizon is supposed to have there true 4g (LTE) coverage here very soon. So maybe I will upgrade to one of there smart phones. There equipment market is supposed to be receiving a large refresh in late November early December which may even include the iPhone 4. I personally refuse to use an iPhone, but it does expand there market so hopefully it will also forbear some better data rates as well which is rumored. I don't mind the tiered data set up as it is generally cheaper as long as you don't go very high which will be where I will use as I have wireless at home so I can grab my data that way instead of through the 4G connection which would only be used for communication transmission rather in phone calls or app usage.

I will say one thing though for sure it sucks you only have 1 choice realneil. I live North of Atlanta about 20-25 minutes we have coverage with all large providers as well as most second tier cellular providers here. I will say one other thing about Sprint I drove all over the Southern and SW USA and was actually surprised ta Sprints coverage. I bought the phone in Illinois (Lower farm;and area of the state then drove to Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, and California) I dropped maybe 4-6 calls total over about 3 weeks. So with there pricing if they would have covered my house I would have actually kept them. They are the cheapest full provider nationwide when you get all services (IE: Voice, Data, Messaging) by far. If I had those services on Verizon data alone would add 30 per phone monthly, and texting another 10 on top of my standard service, and At&t is worse or the same with less coverage nationwide. I really wish we had the all carriers option like Europe does, but here's to wishes right.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 13 2010 10:38 AM

rapid1:
I thought they had the $69.99 all access account option nationwide?

There's a cap on calling other phones (land lines) with that account, (450 minutes only)

True unlimited costs $99.00 in my neck of the woods. That's a rip off. (don't forget to add all of the extra taxes and charges to the total too)

Think about something for a moment, The cell phone industry is making totally unheard of profits every year. They earn more and more every year too. I recently read an article here on HotHardware.com about those profits, but I can't remember the actual figures. It was in the Hundreds of Billions of dollars every year.

Many Hundreds Of Billions Of Dollars Profits Per Year!

They're in a business that has low overhead and huge profits and they could, if they had any decency at all, give us unlimited everything for $30.00 per month and still make a crapload of profit.

It will never happen though. They'll fight it tooth and nail first.

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS