Dell's Adamo XPS Gets Real: $1799 For The World's Thinnest Notebook

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,220
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:50 AM
Dell sure has been teasing this machine long enough, and finally we're able to stop wondering and start digesting. What we have here today is the planet's thinnest laptop. Granted, that record seems to be broken and re-set about every other month now, but honestly, we'll be shocked if someone makes a notebook thinner than this before Santa comes climbing down the chimney.

The Adamo XPS is a unique, strange and niche device. It's not for gamers, it's not for cheap-skates and it's not for power-users. So, who is it for? Good question, but we're guessing it's just those willing to pay a significant premium for a stylish machine that'll do basic tasks on the go. If you think your computer should be a fashion accessory, you'll probably think that this should be your next computer.

Measuring just 0.4mm thin, the Adamo XPS ships with 4GB of DDR3-800 memory, a 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 128GB solid state drive, and a 13.4" display. It also ships with Windows 7, and a new capacitive latching device enables you to simply swipe your finger over the unit to open the LCD. Finally, there's a replaceable battery, full-size keyboard, 802.11n Wi-Fi, two USB 2.0 ports and Ethernet (via dongle). Sadly, this gorgeous machine starts at $1,799, so you better be ready to feel the burn in the wallet if you'd like to take one home.

DELL ANNOUNCES ADAMO XPS, A DAZZLING GIFT IDEA FORSTYLE-MINDED THIS HOLIDAY SEASON

• World’s Thinnest Laptop is 0.4-inch thin

• Adamo XPS Reinforces Dell’s Commitmentto Craftsmanship and Design

• Advanced Head-Turning Design OffersFull Feature Set for On-The-Go Computing

ROUND ROCK, Texas, Nov 5, 2009 … Last spring Dell setthe computing industry abuzz with the introduction of its Adamo brand, andalong with it the world’s thinnest laptop PC. Today, the world meets a newchampion of thin: The Dell™ Adamo XPS™, measuring 9.99mm or just four-tenths ofan inch. Both laptops set new standards for craftsmanship, design andengineering excellence.

Adamo XPS is a stunning laptop whose design provides aunique experience. With the swipe of a finger, the keyboard appears from underthe display as the system is open. The feature set challenged engineers tobuild the latest technology into a compact space, including:

The attention to detail is apparent in the black, jewelrybox-like packaging that is as striking as the laptop itself. A tug on a clothloop reveals the Adamo XPS and assorted accessories that accompany the system.The Adamo XPS was recently recognized as the hottestWindows 7 product by leading technology analyst Rob Enderle with DigitalTrends.

Adamo, derived from the Latin word meaning “to fall in love,”is a flagship in a line of products created to disrupt the personal computingspace with the combination of new design aesthetics, personalization choicesand sought-after technologies.

The Adamo by Dellbrand was launched last March with the first Adamolaptop, which combined high-performance technologies in a finely-machinedaluminum case only .65-inch thick.

The pencil-thin Adamo XPS weighs just over 3 pounds** andmeasures 13.39 x 10.71 inches. Dell expects to begin taking orders and shippingthe Adamo XPS with Microsoft® Windows® 7 pre-installed in time forthe holidays. The Adamo XPS is priced starting at $1799. More informationis available at www.adamobydell.com .

The News:

• Adamo XPS is the thinnest laptop PC ever,at about 0.4-inch thin.

• When opened, the body of the Adamo XPS israised so the keyboard is angled to enhance cooling.

• Capacitive latching device – one fingerswipe opens the latch.

• Built-in location awareness to provide realtime local maps to show people where they are.

•  Replaceable battery, with optionalhigher-capacity battery available.

• Full size keyboard with aluminum keycaps;touchpad with gestures.

• Built-in 802.11n wireless.

• High Definition (720p) 13.4-inch WLEDdisplay.

• I/O: display port, 2xUSB 2.0, audio,Ethernet (via included dongle).

• Operating system: Windows7 64-bit edition.

Quote:

“Our engineers and designers are breaking new ground andthrowing away the old rules with the introduction of Adamo XPS,” said AlexGruzen, senior vice president of Dell consumer products. “We think the AdamoXPS will inspire an emotional connection with anyone who sees it.”

Links:

www.dell.com

www.adamobydell.com

www.dell.com/home/laptops

www.Flickr.com/photos/dellphotos

*Shared Memory (SDRAM) - (under 4GB) - Significant systemmemory may be allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory sizeand other factors.

**Weights vary depending on configuration andmanufacturing variability.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Very slick!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250

"Measuring just 0.4mm thin"??? Damn, that's thin! Seriously, though, this thing is pretty incredible. I've gotta give major props to Dell for making something so outlandish and different. It's enough to make me almost admire them, since it's so incredibly rare that a large company produces something drastically different from what their shareholders will be comfortable with. Now we just need to get GM on the same track...

><((((">Lev Astov

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 415

0.4mm thin, I'll use mine to slice bread!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:40 PM

Indeed, that is one fine looking CULV-based machine. We're pushing to get one in for review here ASAP!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator

Very nice little 'Puter.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:19 PM

jwilliams4200:

0.4mm thin, I'll use mine to slice bread!

Perhaps you're being sarcastic or you misquoted but .4mm literally is thinner than some sharp knives. 4 inches sounds more realistic. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Nov 8 2009 9:45 AM

That *is* really cool looking, but it makes me wonder how much travel the keys could have. I'll be interested to hear what the HH guys think of the keyboard.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
ajri02 replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 4:21 AM

Quote:

"Measuring just 0.4mm thin, the Adamo XPS ships with 4GB of DDR3-800 memory, a 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 128GB solid state drive, and a 13.4" display. It also ships with Windows 7, and a new capacitive latching device enables you to simply swipe your finger over the unit to open the LCD. Finally, there's a replaceable battery, full-size keyboard, 802.11n Wi-Fi, two USB 2.0 ports and Ethernet (via dongle). Sadly, this gorgeous machine starts at $1,799, so you better be ready to feel the burn in the wallet if you'd like to take one home.
"

Flat keyboards on laptops have always been the bane of laptops, IMHO. I think this is a serious breakthrough. If I were in the market for a laptop, this would be a top choice for the keyboard. Not so much for the ‘thinness’, and certainly not on cost. But I hope the keyboard idea catches on!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Thu, Nov 12 2009 1:49 AM

You guys will have to excuse me for this, but DAMN. An operational computing unit in that size spectrum, and that looks like that wow. I love the keyboard angle scheme to you can tell some designers spent a nice amount of time on it. That is eloqeunt, and the specs seem decent. This is of course no performance king in any way. But think of what this thing would look like next to a netbook, in a performance spectrum. I mean this is basically a fully capable machine in a +1 inch netbook likeness, but it is actually pretty and functional in design to. Props to Dell!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS