Fox Loses Microsoft Sponsorship of Seth MacFarlane Special

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,826
Points 1,168,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 27 2009 3:53 PM
Family Guy has been dumped by Microsoft. After deciding the content of the show "Family Guy Presents: Seth and Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show," scheduled (and heavily advertised by Fox) to air Nov. 8th, is too raunchy, Microsoft decided to drop its sponsorship of the show.

In a statement, Microsoft said:
"We initially chose to participate in the Seth and Alex variety show based on the audience composition and creative humor of Family Guy, but after reviewing an early version of the variety show it became clear that the content was not a fit with the Windows brand. We continue to have a good partnership with FOX, Seth MacFarlane and Alex Borstein and are working with them in other areas. We continue to believe in the value of brand integrations and partnerships between brands, media companies and talent."
We call it: wimping out.

Yes, Family Guy and any humor by its creator, Seth MacFarlane is definitely on the un-PC side, but still. Apparently the show is still looking for a corporate sponsor. Since stodgy old Microsoft wimped out, may we suggest cool, cultish Apple?

There was a preview posted to YouTube; take a look:

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 4:26 PM

"741 - You are the one." What?

They really thought that was a good slogan? I guess it's a double-entendre, but my first reaction was: "*I'm* the least significant integer?" It's like having Anne Robinson tell you that you're the weakest link.

I like Family Guy, though the writing has gone super-lazy lately. Can't wait to see what MS was so uptight about, it might be an improvement.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 5:04 PM

Kinda sad, though, to see what used to be the freshest, brashest, and rudest sow on broadcast TV shilling for a megacorporation. Guess MacFarlane's mom needed an operation or something.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 6:40 PM

His show is on FOX, how strong could his moral compass be? :p

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Wed, Oct 28 2009 12:50 AM

Y'know, I never have been able to figure this out. Fox has a well-known neoconservative bias, just slightly to the left of survivalist fleapower pirate stations out of Nebraska. Yet their Sunday night schedule is replete with decidedly liberal animated shows-- The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, and until recently King Of The Hill. Only the last could be said to have anything of a traditional family value basis, and even that's regularly spoofed-- as might be expected of the creative team behind Beavis & Butthead.

Maybe they imagine that their regular viewers would be too tired from a long Sunday of worhip and Posse Comitatus meetings to watch their shows?

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

It's Fox. They'll sell their souls for TV ratings. In the case of shows, their popularity matter, not their bias. So when most comedy shows are created by politically left leaning producers, Fox goes with it.

Same for the News. O'Reilly, Beck, Hannity draw audience, conservative hosts have higher ratings.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS