AMD Athlon II X2 240e and X3 435 Mainstream CPUs

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,805
Points 1,164,530
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 20 2009 11:27 AM

AMD Athlon II X2 240e and X3 435 Mainstream CPUsWith the current price war going on between Intel and AMD at the lower-end of the market, consumers are left with more affordable options than ever before. One can argue that there has never been a better time to build a computer or upgrade an aging system, especially with the cost of relatively high-performing hardware finally reaching attainable levels. And with AMD's recent launch of their first $99 quad-core, enthusiasts have run out of excuses to postpone the jump to multi-core computing.

AMD continues to expand their product line up with mainstream processors at competitive prices with the launch of eight new Athlon II models today. These chips range from dual to quad-core varieties and feature lower power consumption as well. Today, we will be looking at two variants from this launch, the dual core Athlon II X2 240e and triple core X3 435 processors. Come on by and take a look...

AMD Athlon II X2 240e and X3 435 Mainstream CPUs

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Yeah, I just read over at Techgage.com that AMD released 8 new Athlon II processors. Rob mentions that AMD has definitely shifted its focus to monopolize the budget CPU sector.

If anyone has read Joel's piece on AMD's woes, you'll see why this is a good strategy. http://hothardware.com/News/Despite-Analyst-Agitation-An-AMD-Atom-Is-No-Answer-to-Companys-Woes

The Athlon II X3 435 does seem quite capable and the best value of the two processors reviewed here. With the i5 priced at $200, AMD is in a good spot. Though the Core 2 Quads can be had for a little bit more.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 21 2009 7:01 PM

AMD has always served the budget sector well.

Their influence has kept prices from skyrocketing beyond reach for many of us.

Intel can compete in the budget sector, and they do too, but not as much and as seriously as AMD does.

Keep up the good work AMD!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 120
catech replied on Fri, Dec 25 2009 8:49 AM

sooooo what happened to the 605e? doesn't seem to be a common item in the US.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

realneil:

AMD has always served the budget sector well.

Their influence has kept prices from skyrocketing beyond reach for many of us.

Intel can compete in the budget sector, and they do too, but not as much and as seriously as AMD does.

Keep up the good work AMD!

Intel never really aimed towards the budget sector.  They are with out a doubt, the better chip to have, however you pay for it with the price.  If I do recall though AMD's chip ratings are different than Intel's.  AMD's 3.2ghz is not the same as Intel's.  Intel makes the speedier chip and back in the day, those cpu's were much more reliable with heat, than AMD's instant smoke bombs.

Don't get me wrong though, AMD does make a good CPU.  It's just that the two companies aren't really in the same ballpark.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jan 21 2010 9:14 AM

Intel seems to be trying to dominate in the budget sector now, with their latest Core-i5 and Core-i3 offerings. While I know that technically, they have the better manufacturing facilities and probably a better design,....I still support AMD whenever it's possible to do so.

Why?

Because we need them. They help to throttle the Intel 'Borg' just a little and without them we would all pay higher prices for CPU's. If AMD suddenly set their price on the Phenom-II 965 at $75.00, Intel would follow with a reduction of their own on a competitive chip because they can afford to. They have a 'war chest' full of money to play with.

When it happens, we all reap the benefits.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS