LG Unveils Solar-Powered e-Book Reader

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,694
Points 1,156,710
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 13 2009 9:45 PM
LG Display has unveiled a solar-powered e-book reader. Given the fact that the electronic paper these readers use already provide really long battery life as they draw power only when the page is being turned, this could mean no recharging necessary --- ever.

All right, all right, on sunny days, anyway.

That's because the solar cell in the new device will extend the running time of the e-book’s battery by a day for every four to five hours of exposure to the sun. However, according to LG's press release, they won't be ready to commercialize the reader, or the panel, until 2012.

Right now, the solar panel used in the prototype has an efficiency of 9.6 percent; LG is aiming to increase this to 12 percent next year and 14 percent by 2012. At that point LG feels the panel will be ready for commercialization.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Wed, Oct 14 2009 8:52 AM

Sweet! I'm just surprised no one had already come up with a battery recharger/cover like this for Kindles.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

"the solar cell in the new device will extend the running time of the e-book’s battery by a day for every four to five hours of exposure to the sun."

Wow, terrific idea. Imagine this number reducing by half over the next few years.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Thu, Oct 15 2009 12:49 AM

I think I am just gonna get an ebook , and hook me a solar shingle on it, the wire the output from it to a mini usb cell phone charger wire. The energy percentage is better for the solar panel to..............

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 15 2009 9:34 AM

So the Sun charges the one side, and degrades the screen on the other,...........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Fri, Oct 16 2009 9:43 PM

I was given as a present the Voltaic Systems solar backpack ($249). These cells have enough output to keep my cell phone or (assuming I had one) iPod in charge, and the backpack has a Li-Ion battery pack to use as a buffer on cloudy days.

What I use it for mainly, though, is to draw attention to myself. I get an average of two enquiries a day, some of which come from hot babes. So that's why I'd pick up a device like LG's solar-powered eBook reader: To start conversations with hot babes.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS