Amazon Agrees To Sell PlayStation Network Tokens -- A Sign Of Things To Come?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Oct 7 2009 11:18 PM
Sony and Amazon have an interesting relationship. On one hand, they'reenemies. The Kindle rivals the Sony Reader, and vice-versa. On theother, they're best of friends, with Sony now being able to selldigital downloads codes for its PlayStation wares through the onlinemega-retailer's website.

A newly formed agreement between the two enables it to distributeanother 200 videogame downloads for Sony's PS consoles, which is peggedas a move to adjust to demands to get games on-demand and online versusin a store on a disc. Furthermore, Sony's newest PSP doesn't evenaccept discs, so the plan makes even more sense for Sony to construct.The deal will allow Amazon.com to offer "tokens" that are redeemable atSony's PlayStation Network store, giving users an easy way to giftothers with game credits and the like. The move is fairlysignificant--it's the first time since the Network opened in '06 inwhich another retailer (brick-and-mortar or Internet-based) has beenable to sell the tokens.

Honestly, we view this as a sign of things to come. Digital downloadsare only going to grow in popularity, and with the new PSP proving thatyou don't have to have support for a physical disc, we get the feelingAmazon could be handling these duties for other console makers in thefuture. As always, only time will tell.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Thu, Oct 8 2009 10:43 AM

In one sentence; is all about the money! Holidays Season is here Amazon needs sales to make revenue that is the cold hard fact...

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

I think Amazon realizes (or should realize) that restricting competitors on their website is only going to hurt them in the long run.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Amazon sells Xbox Live Points cards, so I see no reason not to sell this too - as long as Sony is willing of course.  This PSP go experiment will be interesting to monitor.

Hello

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,150
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 8 2009 11:40 PM

Amazon costs more than they used to. I find that I don't use them as much anymore because of it.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I don't think it's a big deal.  I wouldn't be surprised if the majority just bought the points through Sony.  It's not often that these types of points are on sale.  I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Amazon's profit is from the third party vendors they have on the site.  It's somewhat rare to see an item from amazon in your search for a product.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945

People goto Amazon because it quickly became a one-stop shop for pretty much anything they wanted. If Amazon wants to try to restrict what is being sold there, they will lose customers to places that offer the people what they are looking for.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS