Samsung's SH-B083 Internal Optical Drive Reads Blu-ray, Burns CD/DVD

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,161
Points 1,185,490
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Oct 7 2009 11:08 PM
Blu-ray adoption may slowly be growing, but that's not stopping Samsungfrom trying to hasten the process. Today, the company introduced itsfirst-ever internal Blu-ray Disc combo drive, with the ability to readBD-R and BD-ROM discs at 8x. It'll also read CDs at up to 40x and DVDsat up to 16x.

With Samsung’s fast dual layer jumping algorithm, the new SH-B083 COMBOdrive features an average access speed of 350ms which is much fasterthan any other drive on the market. The new drive reads Blu-ray discsand reads and writes CD/DVDs--in other words, this is the perfect drivefor your bargain HTPC and for those who aren't going to bother payingtop-dollar for BD-R media, anyway.

The drive also features a few unique extras that aren't typically seen.It's an eco-friendly drive that features low power consumption and anaerodynamic frame design to lower acoustic noise by preventing pressureconcentration in several areas of the bezel and door, not to mentionthat it is equipped with two lenses for more stable reading andwriting: one lens for BD read and the other lens for CD/DVD read/write.Spherical aberration compensation technology (SACT) improves readingquality on a BD drive whose protective layer does not have a uniformthickness, and precision step control technology (PSCT) accommodatesthe higher resolution in the optical pickup head unit (OPU) positioncontrol system that the smaller track pitch of BD demands.

It also ships with CyberLink TrueTheater software for upscaling DVDs toFull HD resolution, and it also supports firmware updates to keep upwith those pesky Profile x.x updates. It'll be available starting inNovember for an undisclosed amount.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Thu, Oct 8 2009 10:46 AM

I would say under $200 would be the ideal price...

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Lol, "undisclosed amount" is an interesting phrase!

Good new development, in a few months this will even be affordable. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
tjmmcn replied on Thu, Oct 8 2009 11:21 AM

I would have thought by now that we would have seen more of these at a much cheaper price point. The optical drive industry used to move so swiftly.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Oct 8 2009 12:45 PM

I'd go lower, kid007. You can get a Blu-ray reader and a DVD recorder separately for under $100. True, it cuts down on the number of cup-holders in your system, but how much would you pay for that convenience?

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250

That's pretty cool. I am especially pleased by how it looks! Most drives these days are all boring, with their plethora of "Compact Disc" logos all over the front. I'll probably get this when it comes around if it does indeed look as pretty as the render. Also, I have an old Samsung DVD drive, and it's the quietest drive I've ever had, so I imagine this one will be at least as nice.

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator

I like this drive and will probably upgrade to it as long as I don't have to sell one of the kids to get it.

It looks good and Samsung makes good products usually.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945

If it retails for under $95 dollars, I'd think about adopting blue-ray.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 7:13 PM

I agree with you guys about the price point. It's got to get to below $200 before it becomes the norm, and below $100 before it becomes a no-brainer.

But, it will take blu-ray a while to get there.

Back when CD burners first came out, their storage capacity was so much better than the other options that we jumped at them. The novelty of being able to make your own audio CDs or back up 650MB (when your HD was maybe 100MB) made you willing to part with $2k for a 2x drive that needed $25 media. And to add to that, It used to be that you had to invest a couple of hundred bucks in a good Adaptec SCSI card or deal with ass-slow parallel port connections just to use an external hard-or-tape drive.

Those same motivations don't exist with blu-ray. We have high-speed USB and Firewire ports on every PC, larger thumbdrives and super-cheap externals. We'll just have to wait the manufacturers out... once they've finally made a profit on their early adopters, and everyone and his brother is selling the drives, we'll see the prices drop closer to the actual costs.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS