XP Mode's Ready to Go

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,955
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Oct 4 2009 11:50 PM
More than just a setting, XP Mode, which we wrote about earlier, consists of a Virtual PC-based virtual environment and a fully licensed copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). This is Microsoft's "solution" for those concerned with possible issues with compatibility with older software. On Thursday, Microsoft announced the software has RTMed and will ship on Oct. 22nd, the same day as Windows 7.

Windows 7 XP Mode requires a CPU that is capable of hardware virtualization. You also need to have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise edition.

To check whether a CPU can support hardware virtualization, users can download, install and run either the Intel Processor Identification Utility or the AMD Virtualization Compatibility Check Utility.

Here's what Microsoft said in their announcement about XP Mode:
Windows XP Mode is designed to provide small business and mid-sized businesses running Windows 7 Professional (or higher) the ability to run Windows XP productivity applications that may not be natively compatible with Windows 7. We expect many Windows XP applications to be compatible Windows 7 however Windows XP Mode is meant to serve as an added safety net so small and mid-sized businesses can migrate and run Windows 7 without any road blocks. Windows 7 Professional is designed to meet the needs of small and mid-sized businesses.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Oct 5 2009 7:46 AM

What about Vista compatibility mode? Oh wait... it is Vista.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Oct 5 2009 10:07 AM

Vista's only compatible with Snails and crippled Turtles.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Oct 5 2009 10:08 AM

This XP mode is a good thing though.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

XP mode is a great thing, and it appeals to people who stubbornly refused to upgrade to XP when Vista came out.

Make no mistake, this is very much a marketing move.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Oct 5 2009 1:35 PM

Yeah, as much as I have fun busting on Microsoft: I do think it's a good addition.

They sure did wait until last minute to sign-off on it though, eh?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

So far my Windows 7 install has had no need for Windows XP compatibility, but I welcome the feature just in case I need it.

Hello

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945

I liked it on my PC with the Release Candidate, worked very smoothly.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Mon, Oct 5 2009 10:33 PM

Unfortunately, from what I heard, XP mode is not going to help engineers with the software(s) they are required to use at Universities. It is mostly aimed for businesses and consumers.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Like Crisis, I have had no problems with my RC and have no need to install XP-mode.  However, I do use vmware for XP and Linux.  Last I was on the MS site for XP mode they claimed they had something called a virtual machine.  Not sure if it is just xp mode (didn't read about it.)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS