Update! HH/Intel Core i For The Mainstream Guy/Gal Sweepstakes!

This post has 88 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

Yea, its definatly a killer system, which any one of us would be lucky to get. To the guy that wants to sell the parts and buy different ones, why even enter the contest, just build your own machine, you obviously don't appreciate what you are being offered here. I've said before I know I don't post enough to win these contests, but I do know the winners are always gracious enough to know what kind of gift they are given...

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Wed, Oct 7 2009 3:31 AM

Yeah whoever wins this rig is getting a very nice setup. I always hope to win, but whoever does is very lucky as this complete package will pretty much do anything and everything you want it to, and more that's for sure.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 7 2009 10:39 AM

So I've read up a little on the The 'Corsair Cooling™ Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler' that's installed on this system and I think it's bitchin'!

Here's a little video squawk to enjoy

It seems that it is good for overclocking CPU's. Maybe not as much as a home built unit, but perfect for reasonable home OC'ing. it's inexpensive compared to buying up parts and building your own as well. It does do better than Air Cooling according to Corsair and some other reviews I read.

So the more you delve into this system, the better it gets.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Nice vid... lol @ the end!

Another quality product from Corsair that I will deffinately consider for my next build.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Wed, Oct 7 2009 1:51 PM

This is a response generally to the new members who show up whenever one of the giveaways comes about. You should stick around this forum, as I must say it is one of the best out there. One of the many advantages especially for someone newer to computers or hardware within them, or even someone with a great deal of exp. that has just found HH. The discussions on this board in particular are generally more personal and direct to specific HW questions and needs. I have been around for several years now on this forum, and know the regulars here to generally be good people, helpful individuals when a need arises, and just great people in general.

Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 865
Blazer replied on Wed, Oct 7 2009 1:54 PM

I am currently running a Corsair H50 in my core2duo system, and it works allot  better than my previous Coolermaster V8. The temperatures at 3.7gh are between 35 and 40 degrees c, where as with the V8, they were 45 -55 if I could get it stable at those temperatures and clock speed.

The only problem I have with the corsair system is that you can't expand it to cool the graphics cards or northbridge.

i7 920 @ 3.8 gb, 12 gig g.skill PC3 12800 12GB (2GB x 6) CL 6-8-6-20-2N, 4 x Wd Black 640gig hd in raid 10 (storage), 2 OCZ vertex2 60gb raid 0 (boot), 2 Sapphire HD6850, Gigabyte X58A-UD5 mb, Silverstone SST-STF85F psu, cooled by corsair h50, and lots of fans in an Antec P160W case.    

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Wed, Oct 7 2009 1:57 PM

pbbyebye if that's your outlook why would you even want to enter this contest, just go build an all out AMD system yourself, that really makes no sense.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

Blazer,

Did you notice higher temps within the case using this cooler?

One review that I read complained that it drew air INTO the case instead of out of the case, making everything else hotter.

I would think that turning it's fan around would fix this problem though. The more I read about it the more I like it.

It is a very attractive and functional  looking cooler and I think I'm gonna have to get one of them.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah I am running a big honking water cooling setup that I build myself, but if you don't wanna go through all that the Corsair H50 has become the only pre built water cooling system I have ever recommended. It performs amazingly well for the $80 asking price.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945

Thanks for the video realneil!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Heh, I think you missed the tongue-in-cheek tone of my remark. The only thing I would add to this is a SSD drive.

The GTX285 is a very powerful card, and while the release of the 5870 has knocked some wind out of it, it still provides great performance.

With this mobo and CPU combo, you should be able to upgrade the card when you need a more powerful one (which will be far into the future for most people).

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Wed, Oct 7 2009 5:20 PM

...pending.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

"well prepared for the coming zombie apocalypse"

It wouldn't be a case of the computer keeping up,....it would probably be me slowing the system down!  LOL! Big Smile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

*drool*

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Lol, well I think there are a few of us here who would sell this system to pay for rent/gas/groceries.

I wouldn't begrudge them, these are tough times for everyone.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

I couldn't buy this kind of performance if I had to. Times really are tough for allot of us these days through no fault of our own. Benevolent Bernie popped a lot of bubbles for some of us armchair investors and the way that prices shot up with gasoline prices and then never came back down with gasoline prices is a rude reality for some of us.

I wouldn't consider selling this system. No Way,......No How.

It isn't an income stream, it's a gift and a damn fine one at that. I'll eat nothing but beans and drive away all of my friends first.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Sorry I haven't been around much lately guys. Between work and my son's extra activities(baseball and Tae Kwon Do) I seem to never be home. I am anxious for whoever wins this sweet system. I have been active enough as of late to even be considered but I know someone is gonna be very very happy soon. Good luck to you guys

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 8 2009 11:25 PM

It's a full time job keeping up with kids and all of their activities. It's also one of the best jobs there is.

My motto for years was "Try to keep up!" Now that my youngest goes to college in Santa Barbra it's a little too quiet around here at times.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Oct 9 2009 10:24 PM

Come ON Monday!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Fri, Oct 9 2009 11:24 PM

Looks like the contest is over now with the winner being announced in Oct 12th. Ironically, Oct 12th is Thanksgiving in Canada. If I win on Monday, I will definitely have something to be very thankful for. :P

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 625
greyad replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 4:33 AM

true kyouya

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 9:27 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 95
greannak replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 9:55 AM

I really like that case and the cable management is excellent! That system would deffinately entitle the owner to some braggin rights!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Points 4,470
slugbug replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 11:32 AM

Thanks, the turkey is defrosting now :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 1:21 PM

One of my sons was here last weekend for 4 days. He's deploying to the Middle East now and will not be here for any of the holidays. We had a big turkey dinner for him and gave him an iPod Classic 160Gig, an LED flashlight (tactical), and a big-ass Swiss Army Knife to take along. This will be his fourth time over there.

So I had Turkey and my obligatory Tryptophan 'after nap' then.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

realneil:

One of my sons was here last weekend for 4 days. He's deploying to the Middle East now and will not be here for any of the holidays. We had a big turkey dinner for him and gave him an iPod Classic 160Gig, an LED flashlight (tactical), and a big-ass Swiss Army Knife to take along. This will be his fourth time over there.

So I had Turkey and my obligatory Tryptophan 'after nap' then.

Common misconception about Turkey making you sleepy. Tryptophan can make you sleepy if it's taken on an empty stomach. Since people gorge themselves during Thanksgiving, this rarely happens.

Usually, its the high fat content, overeating and alcohol that contributes to the sleepy sensation most of us experience after a good Thanksgiving meal.

BTW, best of luck to your son. I have a few friends and relatives in the Middle East and am hoping they make it home safely.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 2:20 PM

Well, I don't do Alcohol so it's not that. Gorging? well maybe a little,............My wife is a country girl and cooks like one too,  so everybody at our table usually eats heartily. (what a nice way to put it)

The nap's a tradition in our house now.

Usually, the next day, the Men cook all three meals and give the Ladies a break for the day. I love to cook so it's no real chore for me either. Cool

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

realneil:

Well, I don't do Alcohol so it's not that. Gorging? well maybe a little,............My wife is a country girl and cooks like one too,  so everybody at our table usually eats heartily. (what a nice way to put it)

The nap's a tradition in our house now.

Usually, the next day, the Men cook all three meals and give the Ladies a break for the day. I love to cook so it's no real chore for me either.Cool

Lol, does your wife do a lot of southern cooking? I love me some hearty southern food during christmas, keeps your toes warm.

Nice of you guys to pitch in after Thanksgiving. Men usually aren't allowed near the kitchen in my family, or my gf's family...usually for good reason. I can make edible soup and pasta, that's it. My one saving grace is cooking turkey, it's more of a science than art.

I did get a chance to deep fry a turkey last year. It was the best turkey I had ever tasted in my life, bar none. Though it wasn't about frying it, I used a flavor injector for the first time. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 3:19 PM

My wife cooks healthy most of the time. Sigh,....

But when we have company she pulls out all the stops and goes all out with it. There is no compare. But I am a good cook too, and have been at it for years. Soups, Spaghetti, Heart stopping Breakfasts, you name it. My Guacamole is what people usually ask me to bring to Potluck dinners and we NEVER take any home either.

I'm home all day because I'm medically retired and the wife teaches High School English, so I usually cook dinners during the week to cut her some slack.

I haven't deep fried a turkey yet, mainly because my brother in law Smokes a Turkey a few times a year and smoked Turkey is the bomb. It sounds interesting though.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 10:30 PM

You seem like a genuinely awesome guy! Kudos for learning to cook, many guys don't or can't.

Personally, I plan to make enough money so my wife will overlook my poor cooking skills. If not, there's always take out. Though store bought Guacamole is awful.

Smoking a turkey sounds like a great idea. I might try it. Does he have any pointers for a first timer? :)

Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 865
Blazer replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 11:07 PM

No, actually, the temps inside the care are the same if not 1 or 2 degrees cooler than with the cooler master cooler.

i7 920 @ 3.8 gb, 12 gig g.skill PC3 12800 12GB (2GB x 6) CL 6-8-6-20-2N, 4 x Wd Black 640gig hd in raid 10 (storage), 2 OCZ vertex2 60gb raid 0 (boot), 2 Sapphire HD6850, Gigabyte X58A-UD5 mb, Silverstone SST-STF85F psu, cooled by corsair h50, and lots of fans in an Antec P160W case.    

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 9:30 AM

He uses apple wood I think.

Here's a how to page,.....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 9:34 AM

Thanks Blazer, some guy on Newegg reviews said that it jacked up his temps inside the case because it was drawing air through the radiator and into the case, leaving the heat inside. His solution was to turn the fan around.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 10:41 AM

I don't see airflow being a concern in the case, especially not with that great cabling job they've done.

One guy mentioned that the air intakes didn't have a filter and listed this as a con. I didn't know filters were standard on cases, would anyone else consider this a problem?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 5:09 PM

I have a case with foam inserts at all of the fan ports. I clean them every once in a while but they don't keep the inside of the case dust free by any means.

It's Here if you want to see it. It does have excellent air flow.

The end result is that you need to clean the fans, fins and inside of your cases every now and then for better cooling. Depends on where you live as to how often you should do it.

It's sorta like the Preventive Maintenance you do on your car if you're smart. Worth doing even though it takes a little of your time and a little energy.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

realneil:
>>>

I have a case with foam inserts at all of the fan ports. I clean them every once in a while but they don't keep the inside of the case dust free by any means..<<<

Nice case, it has good reviews.

Got a terrific suggestion from 2Tired2Tango to duct tape some scotch bright pads on the inside of the air intakes. Seems like they would work really well if your case does no't come with filters.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 5:49 PM

That's a good idea. they're thicker than what's in my case now.

Thanks to you and 2Tired.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

No problem man, any time. Wink

On a side note (or more to the point), 4 hour countdown till it's Monday. And then I can stop obsessively refreshing this page!

Either way, great community here and I really like the article comment system. Makes it really easy to have a discussion. I believe we're moving further way from getting our news from major news networks and more from community and blog based websites such as these. By reading and sharing thoughts with other viewers, the news has become a conversation. rather than watching someone monotonously read a script from a teleprompter.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 9:06 PM

"And then I can stop obsessively refreshing this page!"

Crap, and I thought it was just me!   Oops! I did it again!

Yes, I like this little corner of the web myself. I'm here and on ARS Technica help forums too,.....trying to help people with hardware problems out.

I read my Google news feed three times a day. Mainly because it's everybody's news compiled by Google and is a lot of points of view. All of the new Techno-Baubles that we see here on this site are fun to look at and comment on. I can't afford most of it, or it doesn't work right in my under served area of the Virginia countryside. But I enjoy knowing about it even though some of these things make me laugh. (solid gold flash drives anyone?)

Hot Hardware is allot of fun and being retired, I can take the time to participate.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

hmm scotch pads. Interesting idea. If they are denser then the filters though they may restrict airflow to much. The filters that come with the cases don't usually unless you let them get to full of dust. They don't stop dust completley from getting in your case but do help alot. I have noticed a huge difference using them in the past verses not using them.

Page 2 of 3 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS