Shortcuts

Another Xbox 360 RROD failure

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 339
Points 4,450
slugbug Posted: Sat, Oct 3 2009 12:14 PM

I went to turn on my XBox 360 last night hoping to play some Call of Duty: World at War but instead of the dancing green ring I was treated with the dreaded "Red Ring of Death" I purchased this console last November and it has run fine up until now.

I initially bought this console to replace an older hon HDMI model which had died and been replaced under warranty four times within two years. It looks like I'll have to deal with XBox support yet again Sad

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Sat, Oct 3 2009 12:17 PM

I recently had my 360 of just under 3 years (and no problems) go RRoD when I was trying to play an original Xbox game on it. Went straight thru the MS/Xbox return/repair site and sent it off. Free shipping and repairs and the now fairly short amount of form filling to get said free repairs helps getting the pain of a RRoD a lot.

If you use their website, you should have a UPS label for free shipping in about 5 minutes. The only thing you have to provide is a box and gas to the local UPS store.

Just don't forget to remove and keep your hdd and any custom faceplate you have.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 339
Points 4,450
slugbug replied on Sun, Oct 4 2009 12:10 PM

I tried their online repair thing last night but the site gave me an error Surprise

I had to call them and deal with one of their tech support drones who annoyingly kept repeating everything I said to her. Since when did they stop sending shipping boxes?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Sun, Oct 4 2009 10:43 PM

I didn't know they ever sent shipping boxes. I had my original Xbox repaired years ago and I had to pay for shipping to them, so I thought free shipping is a nice touch when my 360 finally went RRoD.

I really dislike Indian call centers in general, like the one you probably got, once I got an actual tech when calling MS that wasn't reading stuff from their internal knowledge center troubleshooting guide! I was so amazed and happy that day because my problem was actually fixed after ending the call.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Mine RROD's last week and I expected to be able to get a box too.  Instead they are sending a label and I still gotta use my own box and packing.  Lame.  Now I'm definitely considering switching PS3.

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

They sent me a box and shipping label when it happened several years ago.  I haven't had a problem since, except that my perfect condition original 360 came back as a scuffed up discarded case that someone took no care of.  That's the gripe that I have.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

I have a gen 1 PS3, its 4 years old and works like the day i got it... I would get a XB360 if they every fixed the unreliability of the units.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 339
Points 4,450
slugbug replied on Fri, Oct 9 2009 2:05 AM

After I called tech support they sent me an email which said this:

Canada: Using a pre-paid shipping box

If you use a pre-paid shipping box, the box that you receive will include shipping instructions with it.

You'd think they would update their email to remove that part since they no longer send boxes.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Fri, Oct 9 2009 10:05 PM

I would call them up and demand a box, since it was in the email they sent you.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS