Sony's PSPgo Goes On Sale In North America For $249.99

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,205
Points 1,186,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 2 2009 5:16 PM
Sony's PSPgo has really taken it on the chin. Reviewers around the Web have criticized the new gaming handheld for being too expensive, too limiting and just too backwards to be taken seriously. Of course, we also think the physical disc will soon die in favor of digital downloads, but obviously the PSPgo is just a few years ahead of its time.

The console, which cannot accept PSP-3000 UMD-style games, can only retrieve games and content digitally. So you can either upload media from a flash card, your PC or over-the-air downloads. To some, this may not be that big of a deal; for those with vast PSP-3000 UMD game libraries, it's somewhat less appealing. But hey, we still think Sony will sell quite a few of these new things as the holiday run-up continues, even at the $249.99 price in North America.

As of right now, the highly anticipated console can be ordered or bought from retailers, with Sony currently offering 16,000 pieces of digital content for PSP owners on PlayStation Network, from games to hit movies and popular TV shows. Shortly, even more digital material will launch, including Gran Turismo, Tetris, God of War, Madden NFL, Star Wars Battlefront and lots of "mini-games." The PSP go system will be available in "Piano Black" and "Ceramic White," and will include a demo of popular rhythm action title Patapon 2 pre-loaded onto the system's memory.

Consumers will be able to download games and entertainment contentfrom PlayStation Store directly onto their PSPgo system via Wi-Fi;through a PC using the Media Go(TM) application; or by transferring from a PS3(TM)system. The Media Go application has been updated with a new look andfeel, offering an enhanced shopping experience. PSP owners can visitus.playstation.com/psn/mediago to download Media Go and for moredetails.

In addition,participating retailers will be selling PlayStation® Network Game Cardsbeginning with the launch of PSPgo. These cards will provide consumersan additional option to purchase their favorite digital games atretail, and the initial lineup of cards includes Daxter®, God of War®: Chains of Olympus, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm(®): Arctic Edge, among others. The PlayStation Network Game Cards complement the PlayStation Network Cards currently available in $10, $20 and $50 increments.

Launch content

• New PSP titles - Virtuallyall PSP titles launching on UMD moving forward will also be availablefor the PSPgo system. Titles launching today include the PSP system'sdebut of the best-selling racing franchise, Gran Turismo, along with MotorStorm: Arctic Edge and Beaterator(TM). Other key titles launching soon from first-party and publishing partners include Assassin's Creed® Bloodlines(TM), BUZZ Master Quiz, DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY, Grand Theft Auto® Chinatown Wars(TM), Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier(TM), LittleBigPlanet(TM), NBA 10 The Inside, SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3 and Star Wars Battlefront®: Elite Squadron(TM).
  • PlayStation Network Exclusives - PixelJunk(®) Monsters Deluxe will be launching today; additional PlayStation Network exclusives launching this holiday include Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake and LocoRoco(TM): Midnight Carnival.
  • "minis" - Thesebite-sized games offer a more casual experience, ideal for quickgameplay sessions on-the-go. Key titles launching today include Tetris® and Fieldrunners(TM).
  • UMD Legacy titles - More than 150 titles previously released on UMD are now available, including recent releases such as Madden NFL 10, Soulcaliber® Broken Destiny, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour® 10.
  • PSone® Classics - More than 60 classic PSone titles are now available for download.
  • Videos - 2,300 movies and 13,000 TV shows are now available from major studios and content partners.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I have mixed feelings/reactions about this product. On 1 hand it's innovative, proggressive and sexy(IMHO). On the other hand it seems about $50 over priced and could be a flash in the pan(despite the fact that Sony really doesn't have a track record for that for the most part). Time will tell wether I'll cop it. :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Sat, Oct 3 2009 11:34 PM

I think the design is pretty good. It looks like a texting device, which seems like it would be popular with the people I've seen who own PSPs.

If somehow they made owners of PSP games able to download digital copies of the games they own for free for a limited time after the PSPgo's release would go about both appeasing current PSP owners and motivate people with PSPs to buy the new model.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Oct 4 2009 6:50 AM

I don't believe many owners of PSPs would be interested in this device. After all, we already have PSPs, and this device just adds negatives: no support for our existing UMDs (I'm not re-buying my games, thanks), controls that are reportedly uncomfortable for anyone with non-tiny hands, and less hackability for running homebrew and emulators. We can already put multiple games on a memory stick by using custom firmware.

They should have concentrated on the main design flaw of the original: having the screen exposed. If you put it in a bag/pocket without inserting it into a protective sleeve first, it gets scratched up like crazy.

And, I agree with RecoveringKnowItAll:  This thing is at least $50-$70 overpriced.  My OpenPandora may cost $80 more, but it'll be infinitely more useful.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,658
Points 104,150
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 4 2009 10:10 AM

Yep,....It costs too much and re-buying games isn't very attractive to most of us. Forced adaptation of new technologies without backwards compatibility is not the way to win friends and influence people.

Many with a good flow of cash will buy it and start selling their old games off to the rest of us soon.

So be ready for some good deals folks!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

The screen scratching problem is evident with most devices, IPhones and most other telephones included. I don't think a clamshell design like the DS would work here.

Also, there are screen protectors one can purchase.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Here's a grest vid to introduce you guys to the PSPgo(I like this guys vids): PSPgo

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Points 1,870

It would have been great to see a pair of analogue sticks somehow stuck under the slider so they could pop up when you slid it open.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Oct 5 2009 3:36 PM

Thx for the vid link!

I can believe those controls might be a problem for some adults. The thumb of the guy in the video can cover all four buttons at once! Probably fine for kids, though.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

I'm not a fan.  Disc-less games are the future, but I think it would be better for a new system with all new internal hardware rather than a system basically from 2004-2005.  Since you already cannot use your current games on it, why not make it a new super fast handheld?  They could probably get something faster than a Wii portable by now.

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

3vi1:

I don't believe many owners of PSPs would be interested in this device. After all, we already have PSPs, and this device just adds negatives: no support for our existing UMDs (I'm not re-buying my games, thanks), controls that are reportedly uncomfortable for anyone with non-tiny hands, and less hackability for running homebrew and emulators. We can already put multiple games on a memory stick by using custom firmware.

They should have concentrated on the main design flaw of the original: having the screen exposed. If you put it in a bag/pocket without inserting it into a protective sleeve first, it gets scratched up like crazy.

And, I agree with RecoveringKnowItAll:  This thing is at least $50-$70 overpriced.  My OpenPandora may cost $80 more, but it'll be infinitely more useful.

He says it all.  I wouldn't trade in my fat psp for this new one.  I love the custom firmware for emulators and homebrew.

An issue I have with all the psp's is that they are so poorly designed for holding.  I always feel like I'm going to get carpal tunnel.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS