MSI's P55-GD80 Used To Overclock 2.8GHz Core i7 To 5.39GHz

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,839
Points 1,169,920
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 28 2009 11:15 PM
With a little knowledge, a sprinkle of liquid nitrogen and a few BIOStweaks, the sky really is the limit when it comes to overclocking. Ifyou don't believe us, maybe you'll believe MSI. The company has justannounced that its P55 mainboard series (the P55-GD80) has helped toset a world record of over 5.3GHz.

Specifically, the Xtreme Speed P55 was used by Coolaler in order tooverclock an Intel Core i7 860 processor (2.8GHz in its stockperformance), and the results were obviously impressive. All told, theCPU hit a whopping 5.39GHz, which is 92% past its set frequency. So,anyone up for giving this guy a challenge?

World-renown mainboard and graphics card manufacturer, MSI, hasattracted the attention of major worldwide media and power users sincethe launch of its Xtreme Speed P55 mainboard series. Not only does thisseries boast a total feature set and specs, but the Xtreme Speed P55features many MSI-exclusive performance enhancing designs. The serieshas received wide media acclaim for its outstanding overclockingcapabilities, especially the P55 series’ flagship product, theP55-GD80. Featuring DrMOS, SuperPipe and OC Genie, this mainboard'soverclocking capabilities are truly amazing. The Taiwan overclocker,Coolaler, was able to overclock the Intel Core i7 860 CPU (2.8GHz)to5.39 GHz with MSI’s P55-GD80 mainboard, breaking the world record andpushing the processor 92% past its set frequency. This performancesurpasses the competition, and beautifully demonstrates MSI's P55series overclocking prowess.

The MSI P55-GD80 owes much of itsoutstanding overclocking ability to its equipped MSI-exclusivetechnologies, such as the one second auto-overclocking feature OCGenie, the SuperPipe cooling system that effectively drops theoperating temperature by 50°C, and 1>4 phase total DrMOS powersupply design. Other features include the real-time overclockingfunction Direct OC, BIOS update and backup feature M-Flash, Power eSATAthat acts as both a power source and an eSATA port, etc. These featurescoupled with the mainboard's spec set and performance make the MSIP55-GD80 the hottest P55 product around.

For more detailed information, please visit the URL below:
http://www.ripping.org/database.php?cpuid=1078
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=724460
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 8:07 AM

The "news" on MSI's site never mentions liquid nitrogen, or that this was a totally impractical setup. That's downright disingenuous.

Things run faster when you're constantly pouring a super-coolant into the system - We get it. At this point, we've seen so many of these that it doesn't really matter exactly how much you can overclock a system in this manner.

Maybe I'm alone in that opinion, but I'd much rather hear about someone doing something new, or anything with potential consumer implications... than this type of shady advertising.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Hehe, I was thinking the exact same thing 3vi1.  I too am hoping for someone to design something practical that can get our cpus to do these overclocks.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I think its kinda cool even though its advertisement. The last time we saw anything getting up to and above 5GHz was the single core Pentium 4. Now both the i7s and the Phenom IIs are pulling it off easy with a little LN2. The Pentium 4 capped out at 3.8GHz so maybe down the road we will see some 4GHz standard parts. It may not be practical, but it does show the chips have potential.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 3:50 PM

>The MSI P55-GD80 owes much of its outstanding overclocking ability to its equipped MSI-exclusive technologies

...LN is an MSI-exclusive technology? I'll have to tell the physicists.

I do enjoy the LN overclocking challenges. They're kind of like extreme sports for us computer geeks.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 4:09 PM

pretty nice overclocking, they should created a Liquid Nitrogen system. Corsair & Thermaltake where are you guys? this is an idea hello! Maximum overclocking at least we got something to do while we wait for the weekend :)

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

you can get close with a phase change cooling system, but there are expensive... $800-900

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Still over 1GHz slower than the Phenom II max, but impress never-the-less. 

And Pentium IV was taken to 8GHz.  Yeah - that's freaking awesome.

Hello

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS