BFG's GTX 295 H2OC: Water-Cooled Graphics

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,852
Points 1,115,085
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 21 2009 11:02 AM
BFG's GTX 295 H2OC: Water-Cooled GraphicsIn a market where dual-GPU, single-PCB graphics cards are readily available from most major OEMs, product manufacturers are increasingly turning to water cooling as a way to differentiate their products and out-maneuver their competitors. The superior thermal characteristics of liquid cooling allows companies like BFG to hit higher core / memory clocks than they might using air alone. However, H2O-reliant high-end video cards cater to an even smaller slice of the market—specifically, those enthusiasts with big money to spend and who are comfortable using water in their own PC.

BFG's GTX 295 H2OC CLE (aka the GTX 295 H2OC with ThermoIntelligence Advanced Cooling Solution) changes that. This particular flavor of H2OC is a self-contained cooling system that arrives fully assembled and can be plugged into the system immediately, provided your case meets the appropriate requirements. This last characteristic is by no means guaranteed. Consult our Thermal Analysis section for more information on how the cooler (designed by CoolIT Systems) integrates into a real-world, closed-case environment.

The H2OC CLE's "easy" setup is just one of its hooks; BFG clocks the card well above NVIDIA's baseline specifications. A standard GTX 295 has a GPU clock speed of 576MHz, a shader clock of 1242MHz, and DDR3 memory runs at 1,998MHz, give or take a tick. In contrast, BFG's water-cooled cards run a 675MHz core, 1458MHz shaders, and a memory clock of 2214MHz. That's 17.1 percent, 17.3 percent, and 10.8 percent above stock, and it's enough of a boost that we should see a practical performance difference...

BFG's GTX 295 H2OC: Water-Cooled Graphics

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 227
Points 3,660
transam02 replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 11:26 AM

This isnt a bad idea from BFG they just need to get there pricing right. It shows that it does offer great cooling for the card in the tests. Also what they can do is make up another rad setup to where it doesnt block the cpu fan. Cause come on how many people are goin to run stock cooling on there cpu when they are watercooling there video card. Just my 2 cents

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
Jeremy replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 12:52 PM

I'm fairly certain BFG also sells another version of the 295 that includes the water block on the card but no radiator, fan, tubing, or coolant. That system is designed to be integrated into an existing water cooling setup, this one is for people who just want to water cool their video card.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 227
Points 3,660
transam02 replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 2:44 PM

Yea I know alot of companies do. I was talking mainly bout the radiator setup for other air cooling options for the cpu.  I know bout water cooling I have a system that is just not video cards. Also one more question arose while I was looking at it again what bout adding another card just like?? Do you have 2 of those setups in there or can they be combined or what. I mean personally I would do my video cards myself but I mean for people that dont want to go thru the hassle of buying the components and piecing all the components together. They can just buy this setup and install an go.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

<3 <3 <3

Way overpriced, but I love staring at pics of a water cooled version of the world's fastest* single slot video card.

*At least for a couple more days.  The 5870 is gonna be a contender.

Hello

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 175
starwhite replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 3:25 PM

Never had much luck with BFG products.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 5:15 PM

I like BFG and all (I have a 260 of theirs now) but any water cooled video card needs to be smaller, or else it fails.

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

How would a WC card be smaller?  The block alone is thicker than the card and the sockets.  I don't think the size is an issue, More of an issue is that god awful rad setup.  You are guaranteed to not be able to use a third party cooler with that clearance level.  Also, there is no way to justify the price tag of this card.  A water cooling loop would cost you less than this.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,038
Points 11,350
Joel H replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 3:56 PM

Unofficially--very unofficially--and BFG doesn't condone this at all, BUT:

It's possible to use the radiator + fan block that comes off the GPU and then attach *that* to a CPU heatsink. Air is being pulled from inside the case, across the radiator (cooling the GPU), and then *pushed* over the CPU heatsink. At the back, you put in a reasonable 120mm exhaust fan.

BFG won't support it, but that configuration worked perfectly, with CPU and GPU both at 100% load.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

There are cheaper and better water cooling solutions out there though.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Thats pretty innovative alright but also risky at the same time. Some people might not want to have water inside their case in case it leaks oout and spills onto the MoBo (that would suck). I would not get this stillBig Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS