Magellan Throws 7" Display On RoadMate 1700 Navigation System

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,935
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Sep 19 2009 9:29 AM
The dedicated GPS landscape continues to grow, despite the fact thatintegrated GPS applications on smartphones could be looking to stealaway some of that precious market share. Magellan, a smaller player inthe grand scheme of things, has just introduced the RoadMate 1700, andwithout a doubt the standout feature is its unusually large 7"widescreen panel.

If you're currently not satisfied with the size of your PND's display,you'll have a tough time saying no to the expansive WVGA touch screenon this one. Designed to provide enhanced resolution and readability,the RoadMate 1700 also includes the company's OneTouch user interfacewhich provides instant access to favorite addresses and searches. MikeWagner, senior director of product marketing for Magellan, had this tosay about the introduction:
"The Magellan RoadMate 1700 was created for consumers who could benefitfrom a larger device that provides a safe and straightforwardnavigation experience. With its large color touch screen, built-in AAA TourBook andRoadside Assistance, and the OneTouch access to your favorite searches,the Magellan RoadMate 1700 is the ideal travel companion for SUVs,family vacations in the RV, or even commercial truck drivers."

The Magellan RoadMate 1700 includes preloaded maps of the 50 UnitedStates, Canada and Puerto Rico; highway lane assistance; spoken streetname guidance, mini USB 2.0; a Micro SD; multi-destination routing withroute optimization; and integrated AAA TourBook guide travelinformation. There's also a video-in jack if you feel like watchingiPod videos on the screen when you're not navigating, and of course, itships with a car mount and car adapter. It's available for $299, whichcertainly isn't bad given the crazy large screen size.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sun, Sep 20 2009 12:46 AM

I bought my Wife a Magellan with a 3.5" display and she really likes it a lot. But this thing, with a 7" display, looks really awesome!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Sun, Sep 20 2009 2:25 AM

Agree, Super Dave! You know, if these things had additional applications (like a contact manager), I'd get one in preference to a smartphone. I would believe that even a moderately visually impaired person, like myself, could use it better than the non-enlargable type of the phones on the market these days.

A friend has a GPS with NO screen, but rather a voice location indicator and menu; it's also got a Braille typewriter control interface. Unfortunately the thing is very pricey, because of the limited market it has, but she says it's literally been a lifesaver for her.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Sep 20 2009 12:42 PM

>> it's also got a Braille typewriter control interface. Unfortunately the thing is very pricey, because of the limited market it has...

Blind people that drive?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Your shotgun could be visually impared and you might want that person to enter directions for you, I guess?  There could be a market for Braille anything.

Hello

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 7:45 AM

>Blind people that drive?

Blind people that walk. Old technology, yes, but popular among a certain percentage of us. .)

Speaking of old tech, there's a device called the Braillewriter (obviously manufactured before they perfected the medial capital letter) or more properly Perkins Brailler, which is a Braille typewriter. They have six keys (corresponding to the dots in a Braille cell), a spacebar, and a few related typewriter-like controls. They happen to be the first chording keyboard ever made, though obviously special-purpose. The things are built like tanks. One of my friends estimates that 95% of the units made since 1951 are still in use on a regular basis.

Carolinn's GPS device uses this kind of keyboard (in a smaller and lighter form, natch) to navigate its menus. Sighted people can use a Braille keyboard, of course, and when you get the hang of it, it's as easy to use as any other chording keyboard. Hey, Palm managed to push Grafitti on people; why not Braille? It's a well-established standard, in use every day, and it'd save people from chiclet keyboards. And combined with a Braille display, you could text in class while pretending to pay attention to the teacher.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700
gibbersome replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 12:22 AM

For the average person, I don't know if a 7" screen is practical. The battery life is lower, less portable and it will take up larger space on your dashboard.

This would suit best for those with reading difficulties.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS