Toshiba's Universal Docking Station Cuts The Cord, Goes Wireless

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,694
Points 1,156,740
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 18 2009 1:17 AM
Docking Stations. What comes to mind when you hear the phrase? If you're anything like us, you're thinking of that device your corporate owner gave you on your first day in the cube, and you're probably thankful it's there. But for those that try to use docking stations at home, having to connect your machine to the actual dock can be a hassle, particularly if you'd rather work from a nearby sofa or recliner rather than the typical desk.

Toshiba's latest invention helps solves that problem, as the dynadock U USB docking station kills the need to have your notebook connect to the docking station. This new product is universal in nature, meaning that it'll work any notebook, not just Toshiba's lineup. The product uses Wireless USB technology to pass signals from your machine to the dock (and vice-versa), enabling you to connect your input peripherals and the like to the docking station and then have your machine tap into those anytime it's near.

There are six total USB 2.0 ports, integrated audio and support for VGA/DVI monitors with resolutions of up to 1680x1050. Just walk in with your notebook, flip it on and have immediate access to whatever gizmos are connected to your docking station. Sounds pretty awesome, but $299.99 awesome? We're not so sure about that.

Additional key product features include:

• Dynamic PC System: The dynadock wireless U acts as a conduit for add-on peripherals like external speakers, keyboard & mouse, monitor, router and other accessories to easily link with the laptop.
  • Automatic Connectivity: The dynadock wireless U can be set up to automatically connect to the laptop when within range.
  • Data Protection: One touch undock button ensures all peripherals shut down properly when undocking.
  • Enhanced Productivity: Six USB 2.0 ports including two front Sleep-and-Charge USB ports that supply power to cell phones, MP3 players and other devices even if your PC is off.
  • Multimedia: Integrated Digital Audio card adds high quality 7.1 surround sound.
  • High Resolution: HD Digital Video card for connecting to an extra VGA or DVI monitor with up to 1680 x 1050 resolution.
  • Dedicated Video Support: Dedicated wireless radio for enhanced video performance.
  • Bi-directional Audio Support: Bi-directional ISOCH support for Audio, webcams, microphones and USB speakers.
  • Easy Software Installation: Toshiba dynadock Utility software for all video and audio drivers customize the dynadock experience.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 11:41 AM

It IS cool.

NO, it's not $299.00 cool.

Once they get their "We have the latest, greatest thing, and we're gonna make you pay through the Nose for it!" under control it will be a nice addition to the home.

I wonder if you can use more than 1 laptop at different times with it?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 2:09 PM

ALL of that is sent over wireless USB?? I didn't think that was solid enough to handle that kind of data flow! Also, I'm positive that it's power hungry, so you are most certainly going to have to plug in the laptop anyway.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on, though.

><((((">Lev Astov

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70
Fletch71 replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 7:05 PM

Wow that is a great idea but through USB? that might be slow

"if you piss your pants you'll only stay warm for so long"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 12:20 AM

That price isnt bad when you consider lots of docking stations are near $200 as it is, and any other extras like a stand for the docking station or other monitors can easily add up. Most docks are proprietary by nature and when you are a business and you have many different laptops that execs and mobile employees have, from an IT stand point, being able to buy something that works with any laptop makes it well worth the extra money to not have to worry about the hassle.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 10:25 AM

The only reason I have a docking station at home is so that I can use 1) 23" monitor, 2) ergonomic keyboard, and 3) faster wired ethernet. This will get me none of that.  Sure, it has video out and you could plug a keyboard in to it, but you have to go to the monitor and keyboard to use it, so what does wireless gain for you?  Also, my work laptop has a high-performance nvidia GPU... why would I want to use the video built into this that doesn't even match my monitors native 1920x1080?

The only external drive I regularly connect to my laptop is a drive from which I boot Kubuntu... this is no good for that either.

My traditional docking station provides power. This doesn't.

So... what does it do that wouldn't be done better via NAS or some other solution?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 120
catech replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 5:46 AM

through USB 3.0 and bumping it up to 1920 X 1080 I think they'll have a dencent product. (hdmi would rock also)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS