Pliant Technology Unveils Lightning EFDs, High Performance SSDs

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,850
Points 1,170,960
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Sep 13 2009 8:55 PM

Pliant Technology Unveils Enterprise Flash Drive Family: Industry’s Highest Performance and Most Reliable Flash Storage Devices

Pliant Lightning EFDs Deliver 2-4 Times Faster Performance and 10 Times Higher Data Reliability than Existing SSDs; Provide Dramatic Data Center Cost and Energy Savings

Milpitas, Calif. – Sept. 14, 2009 – Pliant Technology, developer of Enterprise Flash Drives (EFDs), a new class of high performance, high reliability storage drives, today announced the availability of its first family of products. Pliant’s Lightning EFDs integrate an advanced software architecture and a proprietary ASIC controller design to dramatically improve performance and reliability of storage and IT systems, while significantly reducing cost, space requirements and energy consumption. 

Pliant’s Lightning EFDs enable enterprise data centers, financial services organizations, high-performance computing (HPC) environments, and digital media applications to ‘do more for less,’ by providing IT managers and system architects with breakthrough levels of performance, reliability and efficiency. Lightning EFDs deliver the industry’s highest sustained performance with the most predictable performance profile across a wide range of read/write workloads, and have been specifically designed for demanding, mission-critical 24x7 applications.

Lightning EFDs are the first flash-based storage devices to feature a cache-less design to prevent data loss on power interruptions, and a number of advanced data reliability features to deliver complete end-to-end data protection. These performance and reliability features combine to make Lightning EFDs an ideal solution for write-intensive enterprise applications, unlike existing SSDs that require limiting the workload.

“Flash-based storage has the potential to impact data centers in very positive ways, but cost and reliability concerns persist among enterprise IT managers seeking to leverage SSD technology,” said Jeff Janukowicz, Research Manager for Solid State Drives at IDC. “SSD solutions, such as Pliant’s Lightning EFDs, that can help address these concerns by delivering high reliability, efficiency and predictable performance will help fuel the mainstream enterprise adoption of flash storage over the next few years.”

The Lightning EFD Product Family
The Lightning EFD family includes the Lightning LB and Lightning LS models. They are designed around the standard 2.5-inch (LB) and 3.5-inch (LS) form factors to integrate seamlessly into existing Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) enterprise storage and server systems, without requiring modifications to existing applications, operating systems or infrastructure. Pliant’s Lightning EFDs feature:

1. Highest sustained performance: 
    a. Input/Output Per Second (IOPs) of 160,000 (LS) and 120,000 (LB) 
    b. Predictable performance profile across enterprise workloads, with read/write mix varying from 90 percent/10 percent to 60 percent/40 percent 
    c. Data throughput (read/write): >525/340 MB/sec (LS) and >420/220 MB/sec (LB)

2.User capacities: LS (3.5-inch) = 300GB & 150GB; LB (2.5-inch) = 150 GB

3. Full duplex, fully independent, dual-port SAS interface for high performance and data reliability

4. Write cache-less design eliminates data loss on power interruptions and delivers consistent performance across the widest range of workloads

5. Unlimited writes: No restrictions limiting the frequency of writing over the lifetime

6. Complete end-to-end data protection and reliability features: including background Patrol Read and Memory Reclaim, extended ECC, triple-redundant ECC protected metadata, and support for the T10 Data Integrity Field (DIF) standard 

7. Industry-standard SLC NAND flash memory technology

“The exponential performance and reliability features of Lightning EFDs allow IT managers to address the most significant challenges they’re facing today, namely, keeping up with continually increasing storage demands with fixed budgets, limited data center floor space and the ever growing cost of power,” said Amyl Ahola, CEO of Pliant Technology. “Our Lightning EFDs will dramatically expand the capabilities of current and future enterprise computing systems in new and innovative ways, enabling IT managers to do more with less: deliver maximum performance with less power, lower cost and a smaller footprint.”

Lightning EFD Availability
The Pliant Lightning LS300, Lightning LS150 and Lightning LB150 are being delivered for OEM evaluation and qualification, and will be available via authorized channel partners in September 2009

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 8:13 AM

Sounds great... as long as the pricing isn't going to be 2-4x higher too.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

300GB high performance SSD sounds very nice, but someone let me know when I can get that $300.

Hello

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 9:59 AM

Yes, they could be talking Martian Speak for all I care because they're so far out in the stratosphere with their prices.

If you want to get me excited about your Wazoo drives, all you have to do is jump off of the gravy train and sell them for a little bit more than a drive with all of the moving parts. Then, Me and millions like me are ready to make your company the VOLUME sales leader of the century.

Give it a try,.....................

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 2:05 PM

@realneil: That reminds me of the old joke. A manager was recruiting salesmen for a new line of widgets. "They cost us $5 per hundred to manufacture, and we sell them for a nickel apiece."

The prospective salesman did the math, then asked "But you're selling them for production cost. How do you expect to make any money?"

The manager enthusiastically replied, "Volume!"

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25

I can only imagine what the price is going to be.  Awesome none the less.

Not Ranked
Posts 79
Points 1,165
deathman replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 1:00 PM

For a consumer this is WAAAAY overkill.  The IOPS are going to far exceed any use on a Home PC or even a Workstation in even above normal conditions.

Get 3-4 SSD's and use onboard raid or a raid card and you'll have more Read and Write speeds then what these show just less IOPS.

The Mobo ----------- Abit IP35-Pro The CPU ------------ E8400 @ 4.05+Ghz w/ 1.37V Bios / 1.21V CPU-z The Cooling -------- Theramlright Extreme 120 -- 42C or Lower Idle / 51C Load The Memory -------- G.Skill PC-6400 4x1Gig 5-5-5-12 Timings -- 450Mhz w/ 2.15V The GPU ------------ EVGA 8800GT w/ 1.1V @ 783/1998/999 -- 32 Idle / 42 Load The HDD’s ---------- 2x 320Gig Seagate Perps in Raid 0 w/ 320Gig HotSwap Backup & 160Gig External The PSU ------------ SilverStone DA750 The Case ----------- Antec P180 The Monitor -------- Dell 2405FPW LCD 24" Of Pure Enjoyment
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS