Leica Stuns With M9 And X1 Cameras

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,955
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 10 2009 5:44 PM
There are cameras, and then there are Leicas. Those who use them swear by them, and those that don't typically wish they could afford them. There's no doubt that each and every Leica is pricey, but each and every Leica looks like a million bucks and generally performs equally well.

In the midst of news flowing from the likes of Apple, Dell and Motorola, this camera company decided to go ahead and reveal two new offerings this week in the M9 and X1. The M9 is a full-frame "rangefinder," with an incredible 18MP image sensor, support for M System lenses, and a newly developed glass sensor cover designed to guarantee the suppression of the infrared portion of the light spectrum, avoiding the need to mount special UV/IR filters. There's also a new ISO adjustment button and a set button for accessing the other commands. At just 139 × 37 × 80mm, the LEICA M9 maintains the compact size of the LEICA M8, but the larger sensor will certainly allow for even larger commercial banners to be printed. The M9 is available in two different styles: a standard black with ‘vulkanit’ finish, and for the first time, a version in steel-grey with classic leatherette finish. Unfortunately, you'll have to pay £4,850 (over $8,000) to own one when it ships later this year.

As for the X1, that's a bit more "novice." It's labeled a "compact," with a 12.1MP CMOS sensor in APS-C format. It ships with a LEICA ELMARIT 1:2.8/24 mm lens, and according to Leica, it boasts an easy to understand layout that even those new to Leica will "get." The camera packs a maximum ISO of 3200, loads of manual controls and a 2.7" rear LCD. You should know, however, that Leica has thrown out the typical viewfinder and replaced it with Live View, so some camera purists may be offended by such a notion. Leica isn't ready to hand over pricing details on this one just yet, though it should be out by Q1 2010.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,591
Points 54,910
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 9:11 AM

I have to be honest. To me, these things look like those old film camera that you bought at the drug store for not a lot of money. They need a lesson in egonomic design in my opinion over there at Leica.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

No wai. I think they have a vintage 40 year old Camera feel. I like it - even if it doesn't seem $8,000 worthy based on looks alone.

Vintage Camera's can be ultra sexy, even if these Leicas are not. Check out this baby:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?newsid=26309&pagtype=allchandate

Mmmm.

Hello

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah I kinda like the vintage look, though the price tag is a teeny tiny bit over my budget.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 12:21 PM

Dave_HH:

I have to be honest. To me, these things look like those old film camera that you bought at the drug store for not a lot of money. They need a lesson in egonomic design in my opinion over there at Leica.

Its the Leica optics that you pay for not necessarily the design. Panasonic Cameras use Leica glass in all but their cheapest models. Panasonic in my opinion makes the best point and shoot cameras out there.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 12:45 PM

I have two Nikon cameras.

One is this:

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/coolpix/p90/

And the other is this:

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/archives/digitalcamera/slr/2007/d40x/

Both were within my retired guy's price range and they both provide a good amount of quality and flexibility too. I have three lenses for the D40x, and the P90 zooms from 26mm all the way out to 624mm.

I'd like to have a REAL high end camera, but I'm satisfied with what I have now considering that I have to live within my means in these days of financial insecurity.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 4:27 PM

Well high end camera's from Nikon, and any other major manufacturer like these (High density, super image sensors, and other capabilities like the included filters etc), are generally very expensive.

So as a consumer or general use camera this is not even in the race. However; if you are a professional photographer, this camera is beautiful. I personally am not but know a decent amount about it, as I have friends and acquaintances who are.

I remember when the first Nikon 10-12MP cameras came out they were between 10-12,000 respectively. Mind you that is with nothing but the original lenses etc. So this price is actually not that crazy. I also actually love the retro look as well.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS