Microsoft To Kill All Current Zunes, Go Zune HD Only

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,157
Points 1,185,245
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 2 2009 11:49 PM
So look, Microsoft's Zune HD looks promising. Really promising, even.But promising enough that it shouldn't give the general population anyother choices in the Zune range? That's evidently the case, as news hassurfaced asserting that Microsoft is planning to kill off its entireZune range save for the forthcoming Zune HD.

At first take, this seems like a really odd decision. The Zune HD isgreat for high-end users who will appreciate an OLED display and apremium design, but what about lower-end users who just need a basicmusic player but would love to give Microsoft $14.99 per month in orderto have access to the Zune Pass music subscription service?

Even Apple, a company notorious for giving users fewer options andforcing them to "take it or leave it," has a whole line of iPods, fromthe inexpensive Shuffle all the way up to the App Store-friendly iPodtouch. Without question, there's an iPod available for pretty much anymedia lover, and we're a bit baffled by Microsoft's decision to followthe "my way or the highway" approach. We're hearing that the currentZune models (as in, all of them) are discontinued, leaving the Zune 8,Zune 16, Zune 80 and Zune 120 on the bargain racks while supplies last.

So, do you think this strategy will work out for the software giant inthe long run? Do you think they'll simply introduce smaller versions ofthe Zune HD to cater for the low-end consumers? Considering thatMicrosoft's Windows XP is the dominant OS on the lowest end notebooksavailable (that would be the netbook group), we find it amazingly hard tobelieve that the company would shun such a huge potential market.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 225
Points 2,395
Kiristo replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 8:30 AM

I have a Zune 120 and don't need anything more. Seems foolish to me to force everyone to go for the high-end option. You'll probably get more consumers to buy your top end product, but I would think far fewer consumers overall. If my Zune broke I'd get something equivalent from someone other than Apple that did the same thing. I don't see myself spending extra money for extra features I would rarely use. I want to use my most kickass device the most, hence I built a sexy desktop PC. Why would I want my "best" tech device to be something that in comparison is weak and small. A plain mp3 player is plenty to get me through whatever boredom I am enduring before I get home to my Desktop or laptop if I am abroad. Hell, I don't even use the video function on my Zune, so even it is more than I need.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

News:

So look, Microsoft's Zune HD looks promising. Really promising, even.But promising enough that it shouldn't give the general population anyother choices in the Zune range?

Maybe it's more the lack of promise (as in sales) that the other models have done.  Microsoft can afford to keep a losing product on the market for a while, but eventually they got to try and change their image.  Despite improvements, the Zune brand is frowned upon by some.  But if all people see is the sleek Zune HD then Microsoft can transform the image to a more positive one - even if they only cover a smaller portion of the market.

Hello

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS