4-Way SSD Round-Up Redux: OCZ, Corsair, PhotoFast

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,305
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 1 2009 1:28 PM

Solid State storage products continue to evolve at a rapid pace. Over the last year or so, solid state drives, or SSDs, specifically targeted at PC enthusiasts have transformed from buggy, generally underperforming products to the preferred, high-end storage solution for performance hungry enthusiasts. Available capacities have increased, cost per gigabyte has decreased significantly, and a number of useful features have been introduced that enhance or otherwise optimize performance.

We have already covered a number of different solid state storage products at HotHardware, but in this article we're rounding-up another quartet of solid state drives, the updated OCZ Vertex Series drive with garbage collection, and OCZ Vertex Turbo Series drive, Corsair's P64, and a beast of an SSD from PhotoFast, the G-Monster V5...

4-Way SSD Round-Up Redux: OCZ, Corsair, PhotoFast

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Tue, Sep 1 2009 6:26 PM

In the conclusion under the Pros for the Vertex Turbo you put "Excellent Performance" and then under cons for that same SSD you put "Lowest performer overall" lol That seems very contradicting... must be a type ;-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Sep 1 2009 11:02 PM

Thanks for the head's up...just a typo...fixed now!

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Also on the last page in the little chart price and capacity are backwards.

Sorry to nit pic. Great read though.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 1:35 PM

Man, I have such baby-brain lately--fixed. Thanks, Bob.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

Good job, Marco! Tremendously useful to those of us threading the SSD maze.

I wonder, though: The currenht trend seems to be drives hooked up through the SATA port, just like a motor HD. But I've also seen SSDs that plug into those miniPCIe slots, those tiny little ones on the motherboard which are usually relegated to a sound card.

The current crop isn't the speediest, possibly because miniPCIe is a 1x slot. The OCZ 16 GB claims a read speed of 110 MB/sec. The price per GB is worse than the larger drive-chain-based SSDs, too. (Fusion-io's IoDrive exceeds SATA-II performance; it uses a PCI Express x4 slot and its read speeds are up to 750 MB/sec, according to company literature. Of course, it's way more epensive than anything on the market.)

But (and this is a big but) people may go for a small drive with a low price, even if it's not a speed demon... especially if they just have one application that they want speeded up (cough cough World of Warcraft cough). I note that my (coughing fit deleted) WoW folder takes up 14.5 GB, which should be consistent up to the next major expansion. (Possibly beyond, if I get rid of all those unused AddOns and old updaters.)

So whaddaya think? User reviews at Amazon and Newegg imply that this is mostly for netbooks: I'm not 100% sure that it will even work in a desktop PC. But if someone has tried this, it'd be worth hearing about.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

OCZ Z-Drive PCI-Express SSD Re-Emerges

Speak of the devil and up he pops!

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

ClemSnide:
User reviews at Amazon and Newegg imply that this is mostly for netbooks: I'm not 100% sure that it will even work in a desktop PC.

Laptop Sata drives work There are plenty of cheap brackets that sit in a 3.5 nch hard drive bay and hold the smaller drives though so its not a huge issue. Kingston even bundles one with some of there SSDs.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Fri, Sep 4 2009 12:00 AM

@Bob-- The drives which hook into your SATA chain should indeed be recognized as a normal hard drive with no issues; but the ones I'm talking about are the ones which plug into a miniPCIe slot-- that tiny little thing on the motherboard which usually sits between the two x16 slots meant for graphics cards.

They should be identical, but I've found that there's a great gap in computer hardware between should be and are.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Oh yeah I know what you are talking about now. These http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609435

They look the same, but idk if it works or not. Hmm now I wonder.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS