Sonim's XP3 Quest, “World's Toughest Phone,” Now Available

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,863
Points 1,115,675
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Aug 25 2009 7:20 PM
If you’re the reason why wireless operators offer insurancefor mobilephones, then Sonim's latest phone might be just what you need. Sonim claimsthe new XP3 Quest is the only mobile phone available today with an IP67 rating,meaning it is completely dust resistant and waterproof in depths of up to 3.3feet.

What’s even better, the phone cansurvive being dropped from up to 6.5 feet onto concrete, submerged in water forup to 30 minutes, and tolerates temperatures from -5 to +130 degrees. Inaddition, the XP3 Quest is capable of providing 1,500 hours of standby time andup to 18 hours of talk time with its lithium ion battery.

Other features of the XP3 Quest include a customized keypadwith widely spaced keys that are tested to 500,000 pushes. With this keylayout, even construction workers with gloves on can make calls. The XP3 Questalso has a custom speaker that can produce up to 110db of sound, which is 45%greater than normal mobile phones.

The phone has a shock-resistant screen and meets themilitary-level MIL-810F certification for resistance to humidity, salt, shock,and heat. You’ll find a 2MB camera with built-in flash, assisted GPS, a torchlight, an FM radio, a 2GB memory slot, J2ME Java for mobile, an Opera Mini WAPbrowser, and Bluetooth on the phone as well.

"Like all Sonim phones, the XP3 Quest comes with athree unconditional-year guarantee. If anything breaks, the company willreplace it," said Bob Plaschke, CEO of Sonim. "We've defined our ownset of Rugged Performance Standards that ensure our phones are both tough anduseful."

This Sonim Rugged Performance Standard includes:
  • Extra-Long battery life
  • Durable keyboard mechanics
  • Extra loud speakers
  • Protection from dust and micro particles
  • Protection from water
  • Protection from drops
  • Protection from shocks and vibrations
  • Protection from extreme temperatures
  • Resistant to extreme pressure/crush
  • Resistant to punctures
  • Resistant to petroleum oil
  • Three year unconditional guarantee
You can pick up Sonim's XP3 Quest as an unlocked phone at:at www.bestbuy.com andselect Best Buy Mobile Stores across the United States. The phone costs $399and comes with a belt clip, charger, and headset.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
MikeL_HH replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 11:57 AM

Ever notice the people who are always breaking their gadgets only buy the most expensive and fancy ones? It's not worth breaking unless it cost you a few pay cheques, has a million+1 features you'll never use (and/or don't know how to use and can't be bothered to read the manual and find out) and is extremely delicate with plenty of small bits that can snap off.

I've never seen anyone who owns a basic 128 color Nokia abuse it, even though those things can take a serious beating and still work great.

"My computer isn't slow, it's just being careful."

Join the Official HotHardware Folding Team!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Mike that's why I still own a Motorola SLVR. Those things can take a beating. I bought Jen a Ipod touch a while back, but if I owned one I know I would end up breaking it, so I just stick with my nano. It works fine.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS