PS3 To Never, Ever Gain PS2 Backwards Compatibility Again

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,748
Points 1,210,300
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 22 2009 4:09 AM
Sony's newer, slimmer, sexier PlayStation 3 console is a nice piece ofhardware. There's no doubt that the 120GB hard drive, lower powerdrain, sleeker look and $299 price tag will draw more than a few folksin, but those holding tight to yesteryear now have reason to pause.

Unlike some of the first PS3 machines to hit the market, the new PS3'Slim' doesn't support PlayStation 2 titles. Backwards compatibilitywas a big draw way back when, and even today it's a hot-button topic.All Xbox 360s still support original Xbox titles, though Sony seems tobe fading that away from its PS3 consoles. For good.

Ars Technica recently sat down with Sony's director of hardwaremarketing, Mr. John Koller. Aside from telling the world what hisfavorite color, food and movie was (we kid, we kid), he also statedmatter-of-factly that PS2 backwards compatibility "is not coming back."He stated that the slim PS3 is now the new face of the console, andSony has absolutely no plans to ever add PS2 support again. Despitethat fact that lots of hardcore followers bicker about this, Mr. Kollernoted the following:

"It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing," heclaimed. "We've got such a substantial lineup of titles on the PS3;most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games. They've buying it for PS3games and Blu-ray movies."

At this point, we don't have any reason to doubt him. It's 2009, andwhile the PS2 has/had a great game library, the gameplay and graphicsare too dated for the average consumer to care about. Does the hardcoreSony fan care? Sure. But does the average joe thinking about spending$299 on a new PS3 console care? Not so much. Which camp are you in?
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I have a Gen 1 PS3 and Love that I can still play all my old PS2 games on it

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

I have a PS2, but if I took the plunge to PS3 I would like to have Backwards Compatability so that I could upscale on HD TVs.  Older consoles really can only be played on CRTs, so make sure you keep an old one for your PS2.

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

That's a good point. I realized a while back that Jen's NES gun doesn't work with LCDs. That was heartbreaking.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS