Microsoft To Give EU Win7 Buyers 'Choice' Of Web Browser

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,690
Points 1,156,420
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 24 2009 8:11 PM
Pro-choice advocates and IE haters alike have been pushing to get Microsoft's own Internet browser exempted from instances of Windows for years now. Many argue that it's a violation of anti-trust principles, suggesting that there's really no choice of browser when you buy a copy of Windows. Never mind that Apple does the same thing with its OS X systems by including its own Safari, but we digress. Particularly across the pond, Microsoft has caught an extraordinary amount of flack--so much, in fact, that it seems Microsoft is caving and changing its stance  on the matter.

European Union regulators have informed the world that Microsoft will give Windows 7 buyers a choice of Web browser when it goes on sale in that region, a move that's being made in order to sidestep possible anti-trust fines. As we mentioned, the European Commission had charged the software giant with "monopoly abuse for tying the Internet Explorer browser to the Windows operating system installed on most of the world's desktop computers." Of course, this argument seems silly in a way. After all, how is one to download Firefox or Chrome if IE isn't on the system to begin with.

At any rate, the European versions of Windows 7 will reportedly let users select a browser from several offered on a so-call 'ballot screen.' IE will still be included on the install disc, but users would be able to easily disable it when they installed the OS. Officials steaming over in the EU didn't say if this announcement would be enough to settle ongoing anti-trust action against Microsoft, but they have stated that they appreciate the gesture and do believe that it helps bring about true consumer choice. Interestingly, we kind of doubt Microsoft will give its North American users this same "choice," even though it'd be a nice gesture here on this side of the world too. Any lawyers feel like putting a little pressure on the 800 pound gorilla?
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Would be nice to see here, but I am starting to see more and more computers that friends and coworkers have me look at that have Firefox on them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

As Bob said, I too have noticed an increase in people using Firefox.  I'm not bothered by having internet explorer on my computer, in fact I sometimes need it for certain web pages.  I'm not sure why people go crazy over this "issue," I mean you can change the default program and everything.  People just need to be better and smarter consumers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I think its more companies like Opera want more share and most people just use what they have which is IE. I don't think this is a consumer thing. I may be wrong though.

I use IE here and there too.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sun, Jul 26 2009 8:07 AM

As regards monopolistic practices, Mac is irrelevant, at least here in Europe, where Opera, for example, seems to command a larger share of the browser market than Safari. Microsoft, of course, is not, and therefore the European Commission is to be applauded for forcing the firm to modify its «lock-in» behaviour. While it is quite true that one can easily (i e, if one knows how) download, install, and use another browser on a Windows box, we have, I am sure, all met large numbers of people that believe that the «e» with the ring around it stands for the Internet. Giving people a choice will educate them to the fact that there exists a choice, with positive consequences both for those who then choose to use IE and for those who do not. That is, if, in this particular case, it is true that competition tends to lead to better products from the point of view of the end consumer....

Henri

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS